A little help with my build

So I bought PoE like 2 days ago, currently level 40 and starting Ruthless. I haven't really read much about the skill system (silly, I know) so I just went straight in throwing my points everywhere I thought was useful. I'm playing a ranger so I thought full DEX would be the way to go, with +30 INT and STR when they come available.

Little confused as to how much I messed up and what I should do. Make a new account? Find loads of Orb of Regrets and reset everything? Also want to know a decent build, I'm not sure how much difference it's going to make though since I'm pretty much destroying the game with ease so far.

With my items I have 595 life, 54 shield and 259 mana if this helps.

Thanks ;>

Link to my build:

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIABsBEzw6VdH4SaA_HFIMrkxbNI5Qj70isKhF0ZjP9-x82uEowQiVZC0m2H21LEvqpUvyEBFdv3D5exIRxY_J6j2WUzPRoLpEMaiLrvIRadRqF_S_8jJ8Lao4NLQqUgzuenC8-saG9KtikmE3itkYLkMOyDYLEQxDJxKzmTMdBqpbPz_eA3Pd7sN6BFAXev_2o4CAnKeDBFyDjWEjW7x4SX_fFZjH7PiOo_WgJbQ==
Not going to candy-coat it.

Start over. (farming enough Regrets at this point will kill the game for you)

Take what you learned and either run a new ranger or try a new build/class.

The only real challenge you faced was not having a plan or Goal. The Dex/Int/Str nodes are what you take on the way to targets. It's the Keytones that make/break a build.

I would spend an hour or so in the Class specific forums to look at what builds others have done. Pick one of those and either build to it, or tweak it to suit your play goals.

Before level 20 you should have a plan as to where you will spend the next 51 points ;-)

-- Providing opinions since I was old enough to tell my sister she was ugly.
You REALLY messed up. And it's easy to explain why: You put zero points into defense. It's like you've avoided all attempts at being defensive. Here is an actually usable build at 43 points:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQIABdzTvQbARM8I23LXEmgPxxMV2mkUgyuTGWJT_iPvSKwneaQNNQEndjqr8ic7kMhkRMYy6UhZ_PNIpVywUll5yVmK8dZa415yXsSEcV_54Khg8NatY2o8MmWn7spphWzcbCD463GEKRzgICcpiUtaQat4cRyzeF7Kv1I5rt6BFAXvHhJf7fZ5FrZ83Hj9aAltiWl-lpKyYraTGuJlsrORA4yfC2ryQz9-mjrizQ==

You need defense. ESPECIALLY as a ranger, because the ranger doesn't get much access to defensive skills and you really can't take many hits if you fail to dodge something.

You can try to get enough refund points to salvage your ranger, but I highly doubt you'll be able to do it.

Take this as a lesson and start over. When you plan a build, make sure to spend at least 30% of the points on defense. Don't be afraid to ask for suggestions on your build before you do it, too.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Alright, thanks both of you. Really helps a lot. Been looking in the Ranger section and I'm starting to understand the skill tree a little more, I'll use the build anubite posted and re-roll the same class.

Still have a couple of questions though, what sort of stats should I be looking for on my items if I use the build above? I had items with dex thinking they helped a lot but I guess they don't.
I'd suggest you try a Shadow with a bow. A shadow gets lots of Dex. on the way to those +strengh and +life talent points.

Whatever you do, get lots of +str and +life points.
Any tips on what sort of stats I should be looking for on my items?
miumau vitun homo
I mean, the stats on your items don't really matter so early in the game, you can do fine with all white gear probably - but you definitely want as much +life and +evasion as you can get. Always try to get +movement on your boots. If you want to do mostly elemental damage as a ranger (popular choice), go for +elemental damage on your gear, quivers can get +elemental weapon damage, so get that too.

Later on you can transition into an iron reflexes ranger, but if you get enough life, evasion-based rangers do work, despite popular opinion suggesting otherwise. The issue is life really. If you have a solid life pool, you won't need to worry about failing to dodge something.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info