Serious discussion!![Problem Solved]

[SUPER EDIT]

Than you everyone who replied to the thread, it really helped out a lot. Speacial Thanks to Mark_GGG And Zeto for the very informative replies they gave me. If you want you can keep chatting on this subject, but my personal questions have been resolved.

Outcome: Casual English is way more complicated than Formal english.

My friend was right that the game wasn't selling, it can't sell. It's incapable of it.

But if he were to stay in the realm of casual conversation and took what i said, in contex for what it was, then yes, the game is selling, even though it is free.

Last edited by sirjonnyboy on Aug 20, 2012, 9:32:30 PM
My common sense would dictate that selling something involves an exchange of (physical or non-physical) items or services. If you download a game for free, you did not partake in a sale.
Getting something for free could be called being "gifted" the item/service, though I would not use that word in the context of a free to play game. Just say you can download/play it for free.

That being said, I'm not a native english speaker, so I might not be aware of some nuances of the language.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Last edited by dust7 on Aug 20, 2012, 3:46:13 AM
Bump for a few more opinions, help me out guys.
This link mentions a few metrics that can be useful when looking at F2P games.

I guess DAU's would be one of the key ones here.
Okay my question is obviously being misread.

If a F2P game is getting downloaded a lot, and its audience is growing fast. Could you say that the game is selling?

If not, why not?
"
sirjonnyboy wrote:

If a F2P game is getting downloaded a lot, and its audience is growing fast. Could you say that the game is selling?

If not, why not?

Well, as I said it is not selling, because the idea behind a f2p game is that it is not being sold, but free.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
dust7 wrote:
"
sirjonnyboy wrote:

If not, why not?

Well, as I said it is not selling, because the idea behind a f2p game is that it is not being sold, but free.

You're still not answering the question fully buddy.

If it isn't Selling, then what is it doing?

Not what's getting done to it.
But what is IT doing.
It is being distributed free. Kinda like how they distribute free phone books.
"
klake wrote:
It is being distributed free. Kinda like how they distribute free phone books.

That doesn't explain what the game is doing. That explains what is being done to the game.

Maybe i should give some background on the conversation.

A friend and I were talking about a game that i thought was dumb. He said my opinion was invalid, because the game was doing well. I told him, just because a game is selling, does not mean it can't be dumb.

Now he turned the whole conversation into how the game can't be selling because its free.

So, If the game isn't selling. What is the game doing?
Not what its being.
not what is being done to it.
What is it doing?

Non-profit organization which accepts donations in exchange for a free service.

Because the game will be free once released, and the only exchange will be data between IP addresses, I see no problem.

Too Long; Don't Read Version
It is not "selling".
"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end." -Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info