Charity Leagues

I'm in the process of setting up a charity LLC, trust or some such to help raise money for the American Cancer Society and the Luekemia and Lymphnoma Society along with other charities such as American Blood Bank, the Bone Marrow Registry and such. I was wondering what options paid leagues can offer in terms of play style, and what GGG's thoughts on something like a 501(c)3 charging a small entry fee (say $5) to enter said league if the proceeds go to said charities? Would there also be a way to offer in game "prizes" such as vanity items on such league?

The reason why I want to set it up as a 501(c)3 is for the paper trail that people can follow to make sure that they money they spend for entry goes to said charities and cost of the league (small % of entry fee to the cost of the league).

Any of you have objections to this idea? I know people want to donate time/money for charities like these but some of the charity events I've seen have been things like endurance runs, races to caps, and general events that exclude a lot of people due to outside time commitments, or they last only a few days/hours. I am currently working on an NBA Jam team tourney that rewards not only the top three teams but offer prizes for other teams as well to help keep it fun for everyone, example, the team that loses by the most points total across all games played will get the Brady NBA Jam game guide. I want to have people have fun over the long haul of the charity event and not feel like they are going to "lose" out on prizes because they are missing a day, two hours or what ever.

So, thoughts? Thanks for reading this guys, hopefully I'll be out of the hospital soon enough to play with you all again!

Edit: changed the number of the organization type.
Last edited by alshara on Aug 20, 2012, 9:18:03 AM
This is literally the best fucking idea I've ever seen on this section of the forums, and on most of the rest of the forums too! I hope we can get a dev post in here to talk to us about it :3
So I was thinking about this more in th shower and realized that prizes don't have to be given out at the end of the league or when a player moves on from the league, etc. there's already a crafting system in place so an NPC with the "prizes" can be put into the game and allow trading of the currentcy items or other items for the prizes. I was thinking of a hybrid flask called "Chuck Norris Tears" would be on par of a large hybrid flask but with the flavor text of "Supposedly can cure cancer, but he never cries... How did you get these?" and in order to get the flask you'll have to trade items whose first letter in the name will spell out Chuck. Things like this I feel would get more people to part take for longer.

Another charity league idea that I got was a race to 1. Everyone starts a new character, but in the character creation screen you get taken to the skill tree, make a build to max level, then a skill select and you get to select 3 attack skills and 4 support skills all of which will be max level. The goal is to race to level 1. There is no death penalty, mobs you kill grant negative XP, quest give negative XP, and it's all culled every week or so with the highest levels being kicked out of the league. All the items are purged once a player leaves the league so they cannot bring those items over to normal play.

Haven't figured out what the "winners" would get, but I think it would be tons of fun.

Edit: Thanks for the encouragement!
Last edited by alshara on Aug 20, 2012, 10:17:49 AM
Funding a charity is actually one of the best thing to do to help those people who are in need so Alshara's idea is great.:D However, when it comes to donating for a charity, even if you do not have much money, you can still contribute to your favorite charity. These alternative ways to give to charity are not earth-shattering, but they are creative when cash is a problem. Resource for this article: Why not take a peek at your webpage?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info