The Ultimate Melee DPS/TANK [FACEBREAKER ONSLAUGHT GUIDE]

"
Nastakanoth wrote:
"
samord wrote:
If i'm not mistaken :

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAdwB5wJxBLMFLQx9Dq0QfxQgFE0WbxjbGS4ZhRoyGjgaVRv6HRQhYCSqJd8n7SkuKaUyCTboNuk62D38QKBDnEd-TdhPfVBHUFBRYFRJVcZXDVhjWK9Z818_YEthIWSjZU1mnm5pcLtyqXTtdPF4DXrvfLh82YBWgW-DOITZhO-MdozPj0aQVZ48nrmezaIApBmnCKcwp4SplavFrKq4k7ndvoq-p8APwBrGnsbYz2XQ0NIh0k3Uj9lh2t3jaudS7DjvDu9O73zwH_Iv8932SPba-tI=

I'd would be interesting to know the gems in the helm/boots, couldnt catch them all on the video.

Also, how do you do when you face lightning thorns ?

edit : since i'm trying again after a few months break, any idea on those uniques price ?

Hello Samord!

That's not actually quite right - you have made some errors near the duelist area when choosing the Points. If you take Another look at the video you will see that I take the dexterity node below. :-)

Lightning thorns is harmless unless applied by the Level 69 Promenade Map boss - this is easly avoidable by slaying the Boss before she applies Lightning Thorns on her fellow monster friends though.

If we're talking Onslaught prices I Think:

Facebreaker ~ 2-5 Chaos
Maginords ~ 8-12 Chaos
Bringer of Rain ~ 90-120 Chaos
Lioneye's Remorse ~ 15-20 Chaos

I'll add on that prices in standard league are 2.5 ex to about 4 ex depending on the roll and person :) everything else in the build is a few gcp. the only expensive part is the bringer and then boots and jewelery. even mediocre physical jewelry works decently. Good boots might b expensive but u can opt out of life on those to reduce the prices and get movement with max reses. Good luck item hunting!
IGN: Azuredrag, SpliTime

Fastest way to get a hold of me is in-game. Second fastest is through PM. I don't check on threads all that often since I prefer to play :)
Thanks for sharing! Very excited to try a melee build out that does high aoe DPS w/out the almost sure risk of being 1 shot.

Played a Whirl wind hardcore barb on D2 up to 99. It was lots of fun.

A few questions.

Where would I get the desync macro from?(bit paranoid about untrusted code)

Also, starting out first time in Onslaught with no currency. Would it be most economical and safe to go with say Ground Slam, Cleave, Lightning strike, Sweep? obviously with decoy totem.

What gems do you pick up from quests to progress smoother?

What uniques should be purchased first? As in, when you get your first chaos or exalt or w/e start looking for a _______.

Again thanks for the tree and the game play basics. I think some of my questions being answered though may round out your guide a bit :)
IGN @ExileProz
Facebreaker first, then Meginord, then likely Lioneye's Remorse and finally farm for Bringer of Rain.
Alternatively you can go Abyssus + Carcass Jack but that is infinitely more expensive.

Pick up Hatred from Brutus, Melee Physical Damage whenever you can, Infernal Blow and Melee Splash. Use that until you can sustain Cyclone using Blood Magic gem.
Last edited by Acrosis on Jul 20, 2013, 9:16:00 PM
I've been mapping with this build for a few days and I have to say that it is the tankiest, most powerful, and enjoyable build that I've played for a long time. In addition, this is the cheapest end game viable build I've ever seen! I have yet to die since fully equipping the necessary items. Extremely easy to use and is unlikely to die even with desyncs :) I'm running unmaxed all res and it still feels fine. Everyone should give this a try!

Fastest way to get a hold of me is in-game. Second fastest is through PM. I don't check on threads all that often since I prefer to play :)
Intro/Rambling
I had an idea for a modification to the build via a slight tweak to the passive tree (1 node) and significant jewelry requirements.

I wanted to be able to NOT use a Life Leech Gem with Cyclone and instead use a dps support such as multistrike or added fire to boost the dps of cyclone further. (I chose to use multistrike since it increases physical dps)

Proposed Change
You do so much dps with this build that not leeching would be a waste and bad for staying alive anyways. I want to take the blood drinker passive node for 2% physical life leech. Then, grab max physical life leech on an amulet (6%) and on both rings (2%). This would add up to an amazing 12% physical life leech. You should be able to easily hit the life leech cap with mediocre physical damage jewelry.

My Stats (mediocre jewelry)
Spoiler

Along with the uniques like bringer of rain and meginord's which have set physical dmg on them, I have a 985% facebreaker and 18-41 base physical from jewelry.

Current Build with Life Leech Support
I do about 9.2k (4.6k tooltip) pure physical dps with cyclone(lvl.15)-blood magic-concentrated effect(lvl.16)-melee physical-faster attacks-blind-life leech(lvl.17),and 11.6k (5.8k tooltip) total dps including cold dmg from hatred lvl.17 (since in this case life leech gem is used and u will leech the elemental dmg as well).

Proposed Build
With the mulistrike gem in place of the life leech gem, I have 12.6k (6.3k tooltip) pure physical dps with cyclone(lvl.15)-blood magic-concentrated effect(lvl.16)-melee physical-faster attacks-blind-multistrike(lvl.9) (only care about the physical dmg in this case since I'll be running pure physical leech). With lvl.17 hatred on, I have about 16k (8k tooltip) dps.

I have 3.3k life (took armor nodes first heh, I like big numbers) and life leech cap is 20% of ur max life so I can regen at most 660 life/s from leeching.

Do I get as much or possibly more leech with the proposed build?

Spoiler
Assumptions
Not knowing or wanting to get into the exact formulas for physical damage dealt after armor or estimating the armor of mobs, I will choose to ignore armor for easy life leech calculations. I do realize that fast smaller hits get a damage reduction from armor every time while slow larger hits will get less damage reduced than the former, but a decently leveled multistrike will have enough increased damage to even out the damage reduction that the gem naturally gives. It's just too annoying to look that all up and bother with it. I also choose to ignore elemental resists since I don't know how much cold resist the average mob or cold resist mob has. I'm going to calculate the leech on 1 target.

Current Build with Life Leech Support
I do 11.6k dps. With my lvl 17 life leech gem which gives 7.9% life leech from all damage done by the skill it's linked to, I would leech 916 life/s. Far above my leech cap! In reality a mob's armor and elemental resists would reduce that damage a little but is would likely still be above or just under leech cap :)

Proposed Build
Max leech from jewelry and blood drinker node
I do 12.6k pure physical dps. With my 12% pure physical life leech from the blood drinker passive and jewelry, I would be leeching 1.512k life/s! Waaay above the leech cap. Without the 2% leech from the passive (10% leech), I would still be leeching about 1.26k life/s!

Mediocre gear and leech
Let's say however that you can't get your hands on decent phys dmg+resists+life+life leech gear so you can only afford to get some life leech on jewelry. 1 point in the passive tree for blood drinker's 2% leech is a good choice and 4% on jewelry would result in 6% leech which is 756 life/s. A good bit lower leech than the current build's 916 life/s but still above the leech cap. It might be just under leech cap after damage reduction from armor. Getting a decent amount on the amulet and 2% on a ring/from both can easily make sure you reach leech cap.

Pros
Spoiler
More dps! Around 30-40% more dps! More mob melting power! Awww yeaah :)

Multistrike auto-aims! Activate it near a mob and it will auto choose nearby mobs to attack 3 times. No need actually click right on a mob anymore. I know. Lazy.

More cost efficient life (since you're casting cyclone from life rather than mana) wise because 3 cyclones will be done at only a 50% increased mana cost!

Can reach an even higher life leech cap than the original build.

Cons
Spoiler
Multistrike auto-aims! 3 times in a row if it can find a mob. A large danger with cyclone is that you can't stop until you reach where you originally aimed at. Now triple that. At least with multistrike you won't overshoot. You just have to wait out 3 consecutive cyclones. Note: the auto-aim tends not to do long cyclones so that's a relief.

Multistrike auto-aims! So you can't actually tell it to just attack that rare mob or boss and ignore the other trash mobs. Slaughter all mobs equally is the systems motto it seems.

Extremely gear (life leech on jewelry) dependent

What do you think about this build variation? Would appreciate your opinion Nastakanoth :)

Last edited by LividPineapple on Jul 21, 2013, 4:11:43 AM
All I can say is have fun trying to find a high phys amulet with life and life leech on it. I've tried finding one for ages now, given up and just run a leech gem. Plus quality life leech is amazing.

Another option for the rich is the stack chaos res and use Blood Rage.
"
Acrosis wrote:
All I can say is have fun trying to find a high phys amulet with life and life leech on it. I've tried finding one for ages now, given up and just run a leech gem. Plus quality life leech is amazing.

Another option for the rich is the stack chaos res and use Blood Rage.

I might forgo life on the amulet and just go for leech and physical damage. The low life pool might be dangerous later on but I'm nowhere close to doing that level of endgame for a while.

It would really be optimal to use blood drinker and blood rage with good chaos res. Then a bit of leech on jewelry wouldn't be that hard to get. Getting decent chaos res on 3 pieces of jewelry and boots while maintaining max all res will be pricey and difficult. Could be alleviated by using some res nodes such as the ones near the mara start to not have to care about much all res. Though that's a big waste of passives you could put elsewhere and probably get as much or more damage that I'm going for lol.

Well the problem is that if you have a low life pool, you will struggle with survivability because your leech cap will be much much lower than if using quality life leech, which is especially more difficult if you miss out a life roll on any item slot you can get it on.
Well I know most of you play Standard or Anarchy League. But if you play Hardcore/Onslaught I can't really recommend using Multistrike or go above 20000 dps. The reason for this is that eventually you will end up in a really bad spot using multistrike - for example you might get on top of a bunch of alchemy bombs - or right under Vaals strongest arm. Maybe not in 100 maps, but maybe after 1000. This skill also removes the fun with the build and the game really - and the multistrike can never aim as good as we can, it could never navigate or dodge as good as we can.

Another reason is that if you have more than 20000 dps you will have to be extremely careful if you play against double reflect - slower life leech mods. And even if you increased your DPS - my character would probably have almost the same clear speed anyway. Now when I roll maps I consider those mods, and almost all mods actually - free mods - just giving me more items because they are so easy.

However getting life leech on your items and removing the life leech gem and swap it for a Life on hit gem could prove to be very powerful. This would require jewellery with added physical damage, life leech, Life, resistances though, which is almost impossible to aquire for any of us.

Eventually as you find the best possible items in the game, you can remove Facebreaker and the helm. Use a very high DPS weapon, 6 linked armor with 2000 armor, helm with 1000 armor, gloves with 500 armor swap the life leech for added fire to have about 7500 tooltip DPS with some nodes. Esentially you would become a god. But I can safely say that most players will never get there - me included - even though I have played hundreds, maybe thousands of maps.
Hmmm ... I have a 63'ish EK Marauder that started boring the heck out of me that still has a full respec. I think I might give this a go as it looks fun. Will have to find a Bringer of Rain but I think I have all the other uniques. Will have to see what rings and amulets I have though. Will respec this week and report back. Thanks a bunch for the detailed notes and videos. Very good stuff.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info