PoE Using Far More CPU In Window Mode w/ Latest Patch?

I started to notice this today. Typically when I play PoE (on my current PC), I play Windowed Mode 1280x800 (max rez I can go is Fullscreen 1440x900), with Firefox & Ventrilo in the background usually talking to friends or listening to various livestreams or podcasts.

I noticed today that PoE is using about 30% CPU in Windowed Mode but if I play Fullscreen and check task manager it's about 2%?

Specs are

Intel i5 3.5ghz
8GB DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GT610
VIA HD Audio (with a usb headset that has it's own external soundcard / driver, a Razer Megalodon)
ASRock motherboard (not sure on model number but I can get it if need be)
Windows 7 Premium 64bit

I know it's not the highest of spec PC's but a quadcore 3.4ghz and a fairly mid range graphics card that was released a few months ago (with current updated drivers) I'm confused as to why the CPU usage spikes from 1-2% Fullscreen and 30% average in Windowed. I know some people say Fullscreen won't use as many resources and I know PoE has not yet been fully optimized for performance (i.e. people with certain sound cards have issues).

Just curious, it's still playable but the CPU usage is becoming noticeable, on a brand new PC. I can play a lot of various mmorpg's at 60+ FPS on medium-to-high settings (depending upon game) and while PoE does give me a good framerate I'm just puzzled by it's high cpu usage on a quadcore.
"
Maverickroll wrote:
but if I play Fullscreen and check task manager it's about 2%?

You're checking cpu utilization for the client.exe process after you alt-tab.

That's not going to be accurate, as the process knows it's not in focus so it throttles itself to use as little processing power as possible.

Why would you ever want a full-screen app to gobble cpu time when it's not displaying anything on the screen?

There's no real difference in cpu utilization between the different display modes, when appropriately measured.
Last edited by Daemonjax on Aug 19, 2012, 1:36:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info