The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

Just watched the trailer... noticed few things...

1) Legolas (?!)
2) Who is the female elf with red hair?
3) Where is Beorn?
4) Overuse of CGI
5) The Balrog even after 10 years looks better than any CGI from the Hobbit

What happened?
Last bumped on Jul 22, 2013, 2:20:54 AM
No comments?

And what about Radagast, the guy is mentioned only once in all the books (a sentence in Two Towers). PL is butchering this franchise.
1.) yes
2.) I'm not sure
3.) I don't know, there is going to be three movies.
4.) nah
5.) agreed

Radagast is a cool character and he doesn't really have any major parts in the first movie so it seems like a knit--picking complaint there. Butchering is also an overstatement. I still don't see how people think that books can translate into movies perfectly. you'd think that people would understand that the movie has to be different than the book in most cases?

Tangents are apparently trending right now.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l6FT-CejS6U/UCP0pkxOIeI/AAAAAAAAHSs/PSTjnPU_1iE/s1600/angry-old-man-meme-trolling.jpg
Dude they have Legolas in fucking Hobbit so why not Aragorn and Boromir too? Butchering is not an understatement.

Legolas = teenage BS = more $$$
Last edited by luj1 on Jul 18, 2013, 9:16:05 PM
"
luj1 wrote:
Dude they have Legolas in fucking Hobbit so why not Aragorn and Boromir too? Butchering is not an understatement.

Legolas and Elrond are both relevant to the timeline. The rest aren't. As someone who read the books I assume you could make that connection. Especially Boromir. Aragorn may have been alive but he is off doing is own thing. I have seen some evidence that suggests Aragorn wouldn't be around though.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-l6FT-CejS6U/UCP0pkxOIeI/AAAAAAAAHSs/PSTjnPU_1iE/s1600/angry-old-man-meme-trolling.jpg
Read the book. Wasnt impressed. Saw the first movie wasnt that impressed either. Im more hyped about the third Madoka movie and that it wont be screened in my country :((
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
"
CajunKinoodle wrote:
Legolas and Elrond are both relevant to the timeline. The rest aren't. As someone who read the books I assume you could make that connection. Especially Boromir. Aragorn may have been alive but he is off doing is own thing. I have seen some evidence that suggests Aragorn wouldn't be around though.

There are many contemporaries, so what, it doesn't mean you should include them. Its done purely for $$$ and ratings. If this was a reboot perhaps I could understand, but this way it's classic Hollywood money whoring.

"
Alexdaemon wrote:
Read the book. Wasn't impressed.

It's a children's adventure book.
Last edited by luj1 on Jul 19, 2013, 10:47:44 AM
Cant wait to see how he butchers the Battle of Five armies. Probably we will have Legolas and Radagast fighting alongside the dwarves, which never happened.
Last edited by luj1 on Jul 19, 2013, 10:51:35 AM
"
CajunKinoodle wrote:
"
luj1 wrote:

Aragorn was most definitely alive but off doing his own thing at request of Gandalf if I'm not mistaken. He went under the name of Thorongil. Think this was covered in Unfinished Tales or Christopher Tolkien's notes in the trilogy.

I'll reserve judgement on Peter Jackson's version of this. The barrel scene was pretty much uneventful in the book. Typical Hollywood to make it "exciting".
Last edited by Lyralei on Jul 20, 2013, 5:34:21 AM
"
Lyralei wrote:
"
CajunKinoodle wrote:
"
luj1 wrote:

Aragorn was most definitely alive but off doing his own thing at request of Gandalf if I'm not mistaken. He went under the name of Thorongil. Think this was covered in Unfinished Tales or Christopher Tolkien's notes in the trilogy.

I'll reserve judgement on Peter Jackson's version of this. The barrel scene was pretty much uneventful in the book. Typical Hollywood to make it "exciting".

You do know that Aragorn is 37 at the time of the Hobbit movie right? rather 27 if we go with Viggo's statement, but semantics don't matter to me.

"
"Before they started shooting, back in 2008, one of the producers did ask if I would be interested," Mortensen told The Guardian. "I said, 'You do know, don't you, that Aragorn isn't in The Hobbit? That there is a 60-year gap between the books?'"

Anyway, I have no sympathy for people who don't understand filmography and moan and complain over impossible details or the lack thereof. You can't fit Tolkein's book into 2-3 and a half hours. I'm sure Peter Jackson(A huge fan of the books) tried to make it as accurate as he could. I hardly feel like it's being butchered especially if I were to go off of the points in this thread.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info