How do I boost my totems?

"
MindGem wrote:

No I realize you're helping. Just the link has nothing of info or I'm too old to get it. I came off lazy but I think I'm just slow today.

Wish the forum got an update with more categories so one could find info easier.

From the link I've postet http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/strength is one click away, I've jsut posted the link to the general overview because they are not just Strenght totems.
Last edited by JusticeAndLiberty on Aug 18, 2012, 7:36:01 AM
Relying on Totems for your main damage is not a good idea IMO, because you are limited in the number of different totems you can have active, and this limit is difficult to increase.

However if you are looking at passive damage, you can also link Trap and Remote Mine support gems to skills and plant these on the battlefield. The regular traps (Fire Trap, Bear Trap) also work well.
If you build a dedicated totem caster it can become quite powerful. For instance, I have a 65 shadow that does nothing but cast skeletons in front of dual ice spear totems.

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Everything within several screens will freeze and shatter, often before I even see it, up to and including rares and map bosses.

I have not been in maps above level 63 with it yet, however, and I read they are much tougher.

Point is, a totem build is certainly viable into the endgame.
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Great stuff, Jhor.

I appreciate you taking the time to post that. Now I'm all excited about trying a totem build.

I guess I'm just used to games that limit "off the main road" type builds. It seems like there are crazy things that works all over the place in PoE.

I saw the wand marauder today and was floored.

This game has more potential for replayability than anything I've seen in a very long time. I can't wait for OB.
"
Jhor wrote:
If you build a dedicated totem caster it can become quite powerful. For instance, I have a 65 shadow that does nothing but cast skeletons in front of dual ice spear totems.

Unavailable

Unavailable

Unavailable

Everything within several screens will freeze and shatter, often before I even see it, up to and including rares and map bosses.

I have not been in maps above level 63 with it yet, however, and I read they are much tougher.

Point is, a totem build is certainly viable into the endgame.

Sounds fantastic.
One of the new complaints about this game I have thus far is that we have too few gem options as rewards so for the totem gem I have to wait til lvl31 someone said and it was just a drop chance then, not even a reward.
My highest character is 24 and I'm struggeling bad.
www.graffiticreator.net
By no means i m an experienced player. Highest so far is a lvl 43 witch. Just want to give some information how it works for me.

I build her for a summoner/fire damage hybrid with increase critical nodes and with some more burn damage nodes to come. Took the 2 totems and wondered for a while what i should use besides my firestorm:

Unavailable

I even took a 2nd support totem gem as quest reward (had 1 before) but then i thought: why dont just cast 2 firestorms?
I was amazed how fast enemies fell or better say burn!

Before i wanted to go Elemental Equilibrium to experiment with different elements on totems or let one cast Elemental Weakness curse but now i m not sure anymore if its needed.

Dont know how far i can play like that but till my level now its alot of fun to let minions do the kill and if i want to clear a great number of monsters quick or there are stronger enemies on field i drop my 2 totems and just lough ;-)
"
MindGem wrote:
Sounds fantastic.
One of the new complaints about this game I have thus far is that we have too few gem options as rewards so for the totem gem I have to wait til lvl31 someone said and it was just a drop chance then, not even a reward.

There are certainly numerous ways to use the totem support, my witch uses it by having the totem apply shocked and other effects while using a main skill to destroy them. They are incredibly mana-efficient and leave you able to cast twice as many spells at once.

As stated above me, the totem support is a quest reward now, so you can use the skill you plan on toteming up until you get the reward(or find/trade for it) then simply switch it into a totem.
Hi,

I also want to use a totem, as a defensive concept for my ranger.
So I took "Decoy Totem" and one the +% Totem-Life passives (dont know If I can get the other one because I think both of the totem support skills are really hard to reach for almost every build/class.

But even with the +% Life passive the totem is rather weak, not really capable to tank at all because of its small health...

So my questions:
- how can I boost the base life of the totem? Does the base Life of the totem depend on my chars Life so a low life char has low life totems?
- Does my base Armor, base Evasion... affect the totems base armor...? If not, how can I boost my totems base armor and resistances?
- Does armor and resistance and life regen passives affect my totem?
- Does Totem benefit from auras?
- Does Totem benefit from minion support-gems (e.g. minionhealth)?
- Does Totem benefit from faster cast rate passives, so that a totem could "cast" faster (tried faster casting support gem linked to decoy totem yesterday and it seems that I only can cast the totem faster but the totems warcray was still as fast as before)
Last edited by azraelb on Aug 20, 2012, 7:29:31 AM
"
Zephyroth wrote:
"
MindGem wrote:
Sounds fantastic.

There are certainly numerous ways to use the totem support, my witch uses it by having the totem apply shocked and other effects while using a main skill to destroy them. They are incredibly mana-efficient and leave you able to cast twice as many spells at once.

As stated above me, the totem support is a quest reward now, so you can use the skill you plan on toteming up until you get the reward(or find/trade for it) then simply switch it into a totem.

Aha!
So what classes can get the reward and from what quest, what difficulty.

I'm definitely going to grind up to get them, I assume I can use several to build an awesome totem guy.
www.graffiticreator.net

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info