Banking Millions for PoE /GGG

Hello everyone!

My name is Hurley.

I'm a concept, graphic, and traditional media artist who has been privileged enough to participate in some massively successful projects with Time Warner and Viacom.
Many years ago, one of the first computer games I truly enjoyed was Diablo 1 by Condor (Blizz North).
I'll never forget the ambiance that game managed to set, with technology far exceeded now by most mobiles.
My cousin and I squealed so loud we woke my parents when the butcher rushed us for the first time, I kid you not.
Diablo 2 was also wonderful, and became a masterpiece when Lord of Destruction was refined.
We all know that the sequel released by activision/blizzard recently was far from "hitting the mark".
Among many broken aspects of said game, is a searingly clear message from the developers: "Pay to Win".
Contrary to kotick's prayers to his lover below the surface, a massive amount of players have been offended and/or outraged, as a result.

This, is where the rant ends and the idea begins, my friends on this Path of Exile we tread..

One of the most successful free to play games to date is Team Fortress 2.
There are many reasons for this success, but when the financial aspects are analyzed, it becomes clear that Valve has been banking eight or nine digits annually on the single game.
Amazing for any game, previously unheard of for a free to play game, but why?
Gambling, my friends. Gambling.
G.G.G., please, make yourselves rich, if for no other reason than to allow this dream of a non pay-2-win, free-2-play to flourish (though, I'm sure you can think of a few other reasons ;P).
Follow TF2's method (in particular, the lawyer writing up the part about the items not being owned by the customers, but rather, a title to use the items. This technically makes the process, well, -NOT- "gambling", from a legal stand-point).
Like Tf2, create ornate cosmetic items that are -extremely- rare, and only available from special chests, that must be opened with a key (only available from micro. store).
The chests should probably have substantial loot, perhaps the chests themselves can provide an MF boost and drop # boost? Unsure of the mechanics.. but more importantly, said cosmetic items (potentially with particle effects)and the aforementioned method to acquire them -WILL- bank millions of dollars for G.G.G., I promise.

Why did I take five minutes out of my evening to type this out?

Well, I'm enjoying Path of Exile lots. More than lots, actually, a fock load.

Become rich, G.G.G. (and don't forget your buddy-pal-guy, Hurley)

Love,

-Hurley
Always worth pointing out the TF2 was not F2P for quite a while after its launch, the F2P thing is only a recent direction they've gone with it, and a very successful one to boot.

Would it have been as successful financially if it were F2P at launch? Who knows, certainly the item trading wasn't there at the time.
"
YOUREaHOOKER wrote:

Like Tf2, create ornate cosmetic items that are -extremely- rare, and only available from special chests, that must be opened with a key (only available from micro. store).
The chests should probably have substantial loot, perhaps the chests themselves can provide an MF boost and drop # boost?
Unsure of the mechanics.. but more importantly, said cosmetic items (potentially with particle effects)and the aforementioned method to acquire them -WILL- bank millions of dollars for G.G.G., I promise.

This is the only problem with this idea, the key bought from the store => more items than someone who doesn't pay. That is why this portion of the idea will not work. I can't wait for OB just to see what they are going to do with the store, but they are against p2w, and finding a chest in the game that gives you +MF and a bunch of items that you can only access with a key you pay for is p2w.
“I look only to the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won’t presume to probe into the faults of others.” - Gandhi
"
schitzoflink wrote:
"
YOUREaHOOKER wrote:

The chests should probably have substantial loot, perhaps the chests themselves can provide an MF boost and drop # boost?
Unsure of the mechanics.. but more importantly, said cosmetic items (potentially with particle effects)and the aforementioned method to acquire them -WILL- bank millions of dollars for G.G.G., I promise.

This is the only problem with this idea, the key bought from the store => more items than someone who doesn't pay. That is why this portion of the idea will not work. I can't wait for OB just to see what they are going to do with the store, but they are against p2w, and finding a chest in the game that gives you +MF and a bunch of items that you can only access with a key you pay for is p2w.

Well, the suggestion here compares cosmetic MT product.

Maybe make rare 'skins' or one of a kind skins only available in chests? Unique pets would work too.

Of course it would be nice to have a pet that did something game related, but didn't offer an advantage...
"
We all know that the sequel released by activision/blizzard recently was far from "hitting the mark".
Among many broken aspects of said game, is a searingly clear message from the developers: "Pay to Win".

What? O_o . I well know 2 people who completed inferno without using AH ( even gold one). it was made after 1.0.3b patch. So... may be u are bad at dibalo 3?

U may say: peeople need to farm 24/7. Emm yes... it's like in diablo 2.

know will be patch 1.0.4. with better legenadry items. Diablo 3 will become very very good game.

P.S. PoE is very nice game to because it's more Hardcore and that all. i like both of them
I do like the idea of potential cosmetic drops in the game IF you have a GGG key to get it...

The rest is a no-go.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
This chest concept is present in other games like Archlord where you can loot Silver, Gold & Titanium Treasure Chest, but the keys you need to buy with micro transactions.

Not sure if this do not go against the concept of pay to win or not.

*** In archlord you can trade the microsaction itens, so in fact you can use real money to get wealth ingame
Hello everyone!

Glad to see so many replies.

Obviously, I am not working with GGG, so all my ideas are to be taken with a mere grain of salt.
I am simply conceptualizing how to help bank for GGG, as they certainly appear to have their hearts in the right place, and I really enjoy the PoE beta.

Thank you lavaKudzu for responding when I wasn't around, you are correct.
I can't fathom my idea would be considered pay 2 win.
Paying for -a chance to have extra cosmetics- will not help you win.
I really love your ideas of unique pets and exclusive skins, not even the most ignorant white knight of the blizz table could argue that -THAT- is pay2win... Also it would allow an AWESOME aspect of customization to help make a ugly hat with godly mods wearable!

Obviously the items exclusive to these chests will have a naturally inflated value, probably scaling alongside rarity (with exceptions made for items deemed desirable or undesirable by players.. supply and demand)... but I don't understand how that can negatively effect PoE. People willing to spend their hard earned dollars gambling in such way within PoE will do so, those who want Free2Play can enjoy the engaging loot hunt that PoE provides to gear their characters.

About using real money to acquire in game wealth, I don't personally feel that in game "wealth" = pay 2 win. To me a pay 2 win model is d3. One major reason for that is in d3, your character is completely generic, and the same as everyone else.
Every ounce of power your character acquires in d3 is from the gear. Add the RMAH, repair costs often leaving you in the negative, and the way the loot tables are stacked to ensure it is -almost- impossible to find upgrades for yourself.. and well, that is a pay 2 win, and even, with repair costs, potentially a pay 2 play game.

I won't directly address you by name, but I'll say that the white knight blizz trolls should probably spend more time in their home forums. You might actually be able to convince some of the people over there that the trash you spew is true.

With that said, thank you to everyone who has shared genuine commentary and provided feedback. I certainly don't expect to write the rules on this, I'm a conceptual artist after all.. I just know that utilizing this concept will be of massive benefit to Path of Exile and Grinding Gear Games.

I encourage more brainstorming!

Thank you all again.

-Hurley
"

If they do this, I would quit on the spot just like I did with tf2. The moment I found out you could get crates you could not open without a cash-shop key, I uninstalled tf2 and I have never looked back...I loved tf2 prior to their cash-shop(had around 600 hours played between my 2 steam accounts).
Reimur: even though you're wrong, why would you have faith in diamond supporters? you're talking about a group of people that are so autistic that they would spend 1000 dollars on pixels. we're almost the most idiotic group of people in this community. second to hardcore players.
Last edited by thelordrahl on Aug 17, 2012, 8:12:01 PM
I don't understand that attitude personally, sounds extremely closed-minded and stubborn.. Especially when the game is free to play... You could theoretically still trade items you find for one of those "exclusive" items.. In the case of Tf2, free 2 play, and the cash store have allowed the game to flourish! The Steam workshop is an amazing example of this. It helps create a lot more demand for new content and gives the development team the funds required to provide said additional content, all the while allowing talented individuals to submit their work for peer review, and potentially financial compensation.
All content added to a free-2-play game should be a reason for thanks in my view.
Hell, the game itself is more than enough reason for thanks.
It frustrated me when the crates and keys were first introduced as well, having paid full price for Tf2 long before... until I really thought about the big picture... Longevity for the game, and an influx of fresh content for us users!
I simply can't understand how someone could be spiteful that others would spend money to gamble for a rare item in game, and that the spite could lead them to quit (especially a bronze supporter, talk about crayyy). To me, if you enjoy the game, you should agree that GGG deserves to do extremely well financially, and you should be brainstorming ways to make this idea more palatable to yourself and others who share your views.
For the sake of GGG's bank, good sir.

-Hurley

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info