More experience when playing alone as in party?

Hi PoE Players,

I just noticed that I get a way more experience when playing alone than playing the same level in a party.

I was leveling Farmshire Ruins (while beeing lvl 55) and 1 run gave me approx. 70% of one Level. So I thought doing this in a 6man party gives more and I joined a public game. After one run in that public game I just made lvl 56 (so I gained approx. 30% and a bit). Playing alone gives me twice as much xp than in a party.

Is this intendet? Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks for reading :)
IGN: BurnyMcBurn
emmm interesting....

i always solo anyway, i like to stop and check out the drops
Were you with the party the entire time?

Was anyone much higher level than you?
You get slightly less experience per kill when in a party, but in theory - when in a full group, you can do a fell run faster than you could solo.
The group was lvl 54 (me 55) up to 60 and i stayed with them the whole time.

The speed with the group is nearly the same as i play solo. And with respect to the xp, playing solo grants you a faster level up than in a party.

So for me it doesn't give any benefit (except the drop rates and the fun) to play in a party. Especially when you want to level.
IGN: BurnyMcBurn
Last edited by locke86 on Aug 17, 2012, 7:21:40 AM
In groups you sacrifice experience for the chance at more and rarer loot drops.
Member since July 31, 2012 11:42 AM

Try partying with one other person who has a build that complements your own (and vice-versa).

It should go faster.

But, yeah, a random party of 5 people won't always be so great. :D
Each party member after the first only adds 50% xp. There is also a 30% xp bonus for being in the same area as a party member. Assuming all party members are close in level and stay together, each member will get:

2-man party: 1/2 of 150% (75% + 30% bonus = 105%)
3-man party: 1/3 of 200% (67% + 30% bonus = 97%)
4-man party: 1/4 of 250% (63% + 30% bonus = 93%)
5-man party: 1/5 of 300% (60% + 30% bonus = 90%)
6-man party: 1/6 of 350% (58% + 30% bonus = 88%)

A full 6-man party gives xp only 17% lower than a 2-man party, only 12% lower than playing solo. In a full party of decent characters/players, killing speed can easily make up for the lower xp gain.

Basically, xp per kill is greatest in a 2-man party, next best being solo. But, xp over time can be much greater when in a good party that sticks together.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Aug 17, 2012, 9:30:29 AM
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
Each party member after the first only adds 50% xp. There is also a 30% xp bonus for being in the same area as a party member. Assuming all party members are close in level and stay together, each member will get:

2-man party: 1/2 of 150% (75% + 30% bonus = 105%)
3-man party: 1/3 of 200% (67% + 30% bonus = 97%)
4-man party: 1/4 of 250% (63% + 30% bonus = 93%)
5-man party: 1/5 of 300% (60% + 30% bonus = 90%)
6-man party: 1/6 of 350% (58% + 30% bonus = 88%)

A full 6-man party gives xp only 17% lower than a 2-man party, only 12% lower than playing solo. In a full party of decent characters/players, killing speed can easily make up for the lower xp gain.

Basically, xp per kill is greatest in a 2-man party, next best being solo. But, xp over time can be much greater when in a good party that sticks together.

Didn't realize that. Thanks for the info WhiteBoy88!

I've been Jay Wilson-ed.
Diablo 3: World of Kitecraft

Immortalsoulz: lvl 72 dual-weapon duelist
Zealato: lvl 41 Elemental bow ranger
Last edited by Immortalsoul on Aug 17, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
Ah, nice to know. Thanks for the info everyone :)
- Slu33ert

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info