Items for real money

The major issue for "Pay to Win" is that the model will exist in most games as along as there is a demand. The reason why Diablo 3 RMAH system isn't that good is because they deliberately took the auction house system into account for drop rates. What that effectively did was make people who didn't use the RMAH at a disadvantage because to actually get good gear to progress in the game, the drop rates were so low, it takes a long time. Such a long time, that people get dissatisfied and move onto something else.

For this game, a "Pay to Win" system is against their thinking process. But just like Diablo 2, just because it's not in the game officially doesn't mean people won't do it outside the game.

If Diablo 3 had the RMAH but the drop rates were much higher so a lot of people didn't even use the GAH or RMAH, the sales and proceeds from both auctions houses would be low. Blizzard wanted some money and I think that's the reason it has apparently failed and droves of people are leaving the game.
This issue was addressed on the last Open Beta weekend. I forget who was on, I think the main GGG person.

He was asked about buying and selling. He said, they have no issue with it and they do not intend on trying to stop it. So yes, a real world market will exists just outside of the game.
You can run but you will only die tired.
It is bound to happen regardless of whether it'd condoned ot not. The only problem I have with it will be that PoE ladder ranking will be somewhat skewed by people who choose to pay-to-win. Also who knows what other future features might be affected by it.
Last edited by CISyn on Aug 17, 2012, 2:25:00 PM
"
eevee wrote:
What is Grinding Gear Games stance on selling items for real money?

Edit: I am not talking about GGG games selling items or helping players. But are they okay with people trading items for money?

I hope this never happend... ok i know in d2 some guys buy stuff for real money.. but..

pl poe never do that
Wise words buff -> balance <- nerf , need to happen , deal with it
Maybe sodomy too

yeah I'm thinking sodomy
"
DaleWinters wrote:
Yah I'd prefer if players who try to buy power through illegitimate means get punched and banned, personally.

"
GigaClon wrote:
Anyone that buys items should get their account hacked.

This^. A pox on those who cheat.
In a very grind heavy game the death penalty equates to...more grinding.
That's why D3 is such a good game *irony*

Imo GGG should add some features to prevent itemshopping in any kind or prevent virtual currency trades and autodelete transactionsand (temp)ban those users if a word like BTC,FG or other common terms were used.
I quite enjoy Diablo 3

The RMAH has had no adverse effect on my gameplay or my enjoyment of the game.

I think people just like to whine and bitch about stuff that doesn't actually affect them.

PvP is about the only arena I could see this being a 'legit' concern and there really isn't any point in hoping or asking GGG to do anything because there really isn't a way to stop it.

If there is a demand for it, a market will provide it.

EDIT

_____

I think it will affect PoE even less just due to all of the ladder events they plan to run. Its a clean wipe every time so it really only affects the long term default/hardcore lagues and those aren't really 'competitive'.
Last edited by _Lokken on Aug 17, 2012, 6:46:15 PM
"
Hilbert wrote:
That's why D3 is such a good game *irony*

Imo GGG should add some features to prevent itemshopping in any kind or prevent virtual currency trades and autodelete transactionsand (temp)ban those users if a word like BTC,FG or other common terms were used.

I understand that a lot of people don't like people buying things with real world currency. Unfortunately, people are going to be doing this.

What if someone trades you a book for an items in a game. Is that a bannable offense? What If I give someone an item and then later he buys me a pizza? Or if he gives me 20 dollars for the explicit use of buying the aforementioned pizza.

There's just too many variables to keep a track of to find out what people are doing and what they are thinking when they do it.

"
KhelThuzad wrote:
The D3 system showed all the disadvantages of using such a system. An economy has to be set up. Drops (excellent at the moment in poe) will ultimately have to be nerfed down to keep the fake economy alive. PoE will then get filled with bots that farm for items 24/7 spoiling whatever economy that is in place. GGG will end up nerfing drops even more to reduce botting, hurting legit players at the same time. Right now the barter system (with the trade window and forum trade in the future) promotes player interactivity, but more importantly frees developers to concentrate on other things. Almost ensuring that they would not have to temper with drops/quality/farm spots.

D3 had a lot to sacrifice in order to implement that system. With every patch, Blizzard aims to improve the AH while nerfing, destroying player builds to satisfy the economy. A DRM was put in place where everybody and their grandmas was claiming that the valiant Warden will kill any dupers/bots. A few months after release, the top players are bots easily recognizable by their large bonus to gold find/range and humongous elite kills. Dupes? Items don;t even have that 'ItemID' from the 'archaic' D2. Someone even posted a screenshot of RMAH featuring 7 same items sold at exact same price and screenshot of someone having 2 exactly same rare rings.

Long story short, the grand scheme of GGG is the right one. Let players spend money on Dyes, stash tabs etc, but not items. We don;t want another Bot infested game, nor do we want 'Wall Street: the game 3'.

You make some very good points regarding a real money auction house similar to Diablo 3.

However, your logic fails you when it comes to the idea that having an RMAH or not would increase/decrease the amount of botters. There is absolutely no way to surefire stop botting. Bot developers range from simple script kiddies to absolute geniuses when it comes to avoiding bot prevention.

If this game proves to be very popular there will be a 100% chance that a certain number of people in the player base would still choose to buy from a third party as their time may be more valuable then money. I can already see a market for botters selling orbs as the thought of gambling a very godly item would be very enticing to someone who could only play 1-2 hours a day or less.

I can reference my argument by just pointing you to the hundreds of gold selling/item selling websites for multiple mmorpgs and free mmorpgs. Hell, even diablo 3 still has gold selling websites as there are just so many bots looking to make money both in the RMAH or outside.

All in all, the presence of an RMAH would not defer,decrease, or diminish bots in any way if this game continues to grow as it does. On a final note, an RMAH system in POE would take absolutely way too many resources of the developers and it would be best if it was left out and that time and money be spent on more meaningful avenues within the game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info