Items for real money

What is Grinding Gear Games stance on selling items for real money?

Edit: I am not talking about GGG games selling items or helping players. But are they okay with people trading items for money?
Last edited by eevee on Aug 18, 2012, 5:50:29 AM
GGG has taken a firm standing against pay-to-win, so we won't be seeing a feature like this implemented into the game.
The D3 system showed all the disadvantages of using such a system. An economy has to be set up. Drops (excellent at the moment in poe) will ultimately have to be nerfed down to keep the fake economy alive. PoE will then get filled with bots that farm for items 24/7 spoiling whatever economy that is in place. GGG will end up nerfing drops even more to reduce botting, hurting legit players at the same time. Right now the barter system (with the trade window and forum trade in the future) promotes player interactivity, but more importantly frees developers to concentrate on other things. Almost ensuring that they would not have to temper with drops/quality/farm spots.

D3 had a lot to sacrifice in order to implement that system. With every patch, Blizzard aims to improve the AH while nerfing, destroying player builds to satisfy the economy. A DRM was put in place where everybody and their grandmas was claiming that the valiant Warden will kill any dupers/bots. A few months after release, the top players are bots easily recognizable by their large bonus to gold find/range and humongous elite kills. Dupes? Items don;t even have that 'ItemID' from the 'archaic' D2. Someone even posted a screenshot of RMAH featuring 7 same items sold at exact same price and screenshot of someone having 2 exactly same rare rings.

Long story short, the grand scheme of GGG is the right one. Let players spend money on Dyes, stash tabs etc, but not items. We don;t want another Bot infested game, nor do we want 'Wall Street: the game 3'.
Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum - That's nature for you.
Last edited by KhelThuzad on Aug 17, 2012, 4:49:07 AM
I doubt that they will ever officially condone players selling items to one another for real money. If they were to officially support it, they would have to implement something like the RMAH in TOG. And as long as they don't have something similar, there is simply too much risk in stating they support trading for money.

As it stands, it would be a very simple matter to scam people out of money. If GGG were supporting it, the people who got scammed would be able to turn around and blame GGG for making them believe it was OK. So until an RMAH exists in game (which I personally hope never happens), I think I can say pretty safely that they will never openly support trading for real money.

As a disclaimer though, I'm not with GGG so I can't tell you their exact stance on it. But I believe it would be something like this.
If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!
Lazerus is basically right. There is not much that can be done about people doing this off-site, but it won't be condoned as acceptable and certainly not implemented as a feature. There won't be an auction house in the game at all, much less one that trades real money.

I'm sure there will be official rules posted about this at some point, once they get around to making official rules for everything else.

Tangent
On a personal level, selling something that you don't actually own feels very wrong to me. As with all online-only games, the game owners themselves own all in-game items. The player who is lucky enough to find an item has no right to make real money from it.

That's why I hate the RMAH in D3. It's like Blizzard is saying "We own all these items, but you can pay each other to use them and we'll take a cut from that. Keep in mind, though, that at any point, without warning, we can make those items you spent hundreds of dollars to use completely useless and you have no say in the matter." Paying someone for something neither of you can own carries the risk of the actual owner doing whatever he wants with it.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Yah it wont be official

but it will happen I bet

behind the scene

in the dank back alley of society

where the filth rolls on segway scooters and

germans are.. there
trading won't stop.

problem is getting account hacked by visiting those sites..

GGG will have to restore accounts in that case.
"
Dudebag wrote:
trading won't stop.

problem is getting account hacked by visiting those sites..

GGG will have to restore accounts in that case.
No, they won't. It would be awfully nice of them, but they would be under no obligation to fix something caused by the player's desire to cheat.

No item-selling site should be able to access your account, anyway. They don't gain any account information when you visit them unless you give it to them.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Yah I'd prefer if players who try to buy power through illegitimate means get punched and banned, personally.
Anyone that buys items should get their account hacked.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info