Windowed fullscreen resolution smaller than desktop's

My desktop screen resolution is 1280x1024, but after starting the game in windowed fullscreen mode, it is reverted to 1280x960 (custom) (without affecting resolution of the desktop itself).
Minimizing (or even maximizing) the game's borderless window in task manager will revert the resolution to the improper 1280x960.
I recall being able to alt-tab out of the game at the proper resolution, but somehow now I have to use task manager, as the game's window will stay in foreground (unless covered in always on top windows, like task manager).

Here's how it looks like:
Spoiler
Try setting the resolution manually in production_Config.ini.

For me (Win7) it's located in:

C:\Users\<my username>\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile\
Last edited by Daemonjax on Aug 16, 2012, 3:34:50 PM
Did not work, resolution settings seem to be ignored when in windowed fullscreen. Both the proper desktop resolution settings and 1024x768 result in the game starting in 1280x960.
The problem is trivial to fix (change resolution/display mode and revert), but it has to be done every time the game is started in windowed fullscreen.
Just tested myself...

Set my desktop to 1280x1024 resolution.

Set game to windowed fullscreen.

Restarted game.

In-game resolution is now 1280x960.

That sucks.

But...

Why do you want to run it in windowed fullscreen?

AFAIK, that option is mainly there in games for people who want span it across multiple lcd panels... or make use of one panel, while having the other(s) usable for other things.

I suppose multi-boxing on a single display would be another use as well (for faster alt-tabbing).

Just curious. :D

UPDATE: Hey, I could write a script in Autohotkey that would do exactly what you want: POE fullscreen windowed that matches your desktop resolution of 1280x1024. You'd run the game in Windowed mode, but I could resize/position the window while removing the borders... I did just that for EvE Online a long time ago. Just let me know.

Note: All games run/look like crap in windowed mode (imo) because vsync only works in fullscreen mode. Not everyone likes vsync, but whatever... They're wrong. Just my opinion. :D
Last edited by Daemonjax on Aug 17, 2012, 3:58:34 PM
It's not a big problem for me. I'm reporting it because I feel obliged to report bugs in games I play (especially when they are in unstable/beta versions).

I play in windowed fullscreen, because I don't like the delay in alt-tabing that happens in most games when in true fullscreen (I didn't actually test if PoE has it). I also played valve games for a while and those often HATE when you alt-tab out of them (crashes or serious delays), so I'm a bit paranoid about that.

"
vsync only works in fullscreen

I didn't notice any tearing in either PoE and valve games I run in borderless. I remember noticing it in fullscreen games I ran without vsync, so I think I'd probably notice it.
Quick googling for "vsync windowed" only shows people expecting it to work.
Are you sure it is not a more "localized" issue (few applications or something related to Microsoft hating OpenGL)?
You're right, the in-game vsync works in windowed mode in PoE.

I always use d3doverrider for vsync for triple-buffering in dx9, tho... which, sadly, only works fullscreen.

UPDATE: Actually, after doing some twiddling, I managed to get d3doverrider to work with PoE in windowed mode. I still prefer fullscreen (I can be stubborn). :P
Last edited by Daemonjax on Aug 19, 2012, 1:40:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info