Facebreaker Build Concepts v0.1

Facebreaker Build Concepts v0.1

Introduction
This build was designed to help low level players achieve seemingly unachievable DPS scores. This build is based around the unique gloves Facebreaker.
Spoiler
Ignore the gems
Unavailable
In the case of my Facebreaker, it carries the stat 1000% unarmed physical damage. From a first glance this would seem like an underpowered stat since all of the average players gain their physical damage from their weapons. The greatest part about this build that will be exploited is the low required level.

Key Concepts to Note
%Melee/Fire/Cold/Lightning/Elemental Weapon Damage DO NOT work as passives. %Fire/Cold/Lightning/Elemental Damage DO work as passives. Quivers do not count as being armed. Shields do not count as being armed.

Class/Passives
It is important in this build to be near %life, strength and %armour passives. Since this build is extremely customizable there are no class limitations, but I recommend to chose a class which was originally based on strength or has many strength links near its core. Multiple build interpretations will be at the bottom of the post.

Core Build Concept/Itemization
Achieving high DPS without a weapon way seem difficult but there are many ways of boosting physical damage which may not have been noticed before. There are four items which can carry the stat physical damage: belt, ring, amulet and quiver (which will be talked about last). Since there are two slots for a ring, this boosts the amount of items to five. In terms of both rings and the amulet, as long as they have physical damage and (optional but recommended for higher difficulties) %life leech. The other stats are up to you. The best belt in the game for this build hands down belongs to:
Spoiler
Unavailable
It has physical damage, %life and strength. There also exists a stat called %physical damage. This stat exists on many unique items but is most notable on:
Spoiler
Ignore the gems
Unavailable
This helm doesn't just have %physical damage but also max life. This helm goes well with the passive which makes all evasion armour. The big debate I've had is to either use a shield or a quiver. Quivers offer a huge damage increase but shields offer block chance and Armour. Here is a quiver that I am currently using which utilizes the stat %physical damage added as fire:
Spoiler
Unavailable
This isn't a perfect role and can go even higher than 40%. This quiver increases my dps by a ton. Other quivers to note are ones with physical damage. At a high level, quivers can give lots of physical damage. Shields on the other hand give armour and block chance which is effective since this build is a melee class. The chest slot and boots slot are all up to you but I recommend movement speed, max life and resists. In my build I use Blood Magic because with extreme DPS I can life leech a ton. This simulates an almost endless mana pool.

Skills Choices
The one skill that is need for this build is Elemental Hit. This melee skill does not require a weapon and outputs lots of DPS. Recommended support gems include: added fire damage, increased attack speed and increased elemental damage. Since there is the only one melee skill I recommend auras. If you are using Blood Magic do not use auras with % reserve since health is key.

My Experiences
With my marauder I am scoring around 2.4k dps at level 40~. I intended my build to be a hybrid with a 2-handed mace so my damage and armour is greatly impaired.

If this thread receives lots of views I'll level all the classes to 30 and attempt all the builds below.

This is my first post so please be constructive with your comments so I can further shape this build :) If you have any build suggestions post them and if I find them good I'll link them with the name of the creater in the appropriate spoiler box bellow.

Passive Skill Builds (30 Point Maximum)
Marauder

Duelist

Templar

Shadow

Witch

Ranger
Good memories from closed beta: http://imgur.com/D2eSfYL - Damn fine chest.
May nullsFaith from closed beta safely rest in GGG's backups ;)
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
CI witch bitch slapper, I want to believe.
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMAAM5rSAQfeR4Ha5TVC-qvcw9Iu-IXFRfWGp1ZtBx7OtEhedp6JpMjPzLquew9JAC1P55fTUJM1rxDPcasRqoNjklHOJxKxdMKTK_1Q0zjNAlNM76rTmKMJ2K76pRjOr_IZGXrG2dierpnwpenb0BPh3cAFgl7itYNlhxlavU5uo_9mG3TvSG7Vs3KZmOpvwdiyDkwAZwjPKycxUTN2Qkd2YfeJZOMWT7vrnNxA4-7Cp2FDkXvyo6YiINe7weE1xwSoOn4Todr4hqhR__w3bweUokUxWrjhsAn3bR_EZbVBHqqDgow0QnEAqJ5BfO2ZQXi45icmdfMo_mNqRj_voN84aFUTLetw9oxqHa0Pbuv36A=

This is personally how I'd build the Witch:

Use Wrath + Anger + Elemental Hit + Elemental Proliferation to spread shock and ignite. Max out ES for survival. Grab all the +physical damage nodes and get enough attribute points in all 3 attributes to pump up your elemental hit as best you can. Maybe throw in a totem for AOE clean up. I'd say it's pretty reasonable with using under 70 points to get all the core stuff. You can probably facepunch with Witch pretty well.

You'll need a 6 piece chest, with the following:

Elemental Hit + Ele Prolif + Ignite On Fire Damage + Faster Attacks + Increased Item Quantity + increased rarity or increased physical damage (or maybe another added damage like chaos).
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Aug 16, 2012, 2:59:15 PM
my build

Also, frenzy will yield you better DPS, I'm currently lvl 56, using frenzy, melee physical dmg, faster attacks, added fire dmg.

My dps in full damage mode with a quiver (crappy quiver at that)

DPS off flask - 8062.7
DPS on flask - 21544.8

I think 15k dps is achievable with top tier physical dmg mods and attack speed on all available slots, along with a 5l chest and qual gems.

Before anyone screams nerf remember we have no AoE dmg, at least none to brag about (I use molten shell) and at those numbers I am not very durable, if I dropped 2k dps I could probably be rather tanky. Under perfect situations and against slow bosses it is a very effective build, against large groups, ranged, and fast moving mobs its dangerous.

I will link my gear if anyone is interested.

Spoiler

Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable
Unavailable

Also, the helm you listed sacrifices one of the best spots to obtain high armor, as well as removes any chance to evade. I used it for awhile and got a lot of one hit deaths. Since you are forced to be at melee range you will need all the armor you can get in merciless to survive.

In fellshrine with my shield i still lose about 1/5th of life per hit, mind you I only have 1708 life currently, but its still scary if surrounded by archers while trying to drop down a rare mob.

Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
grats bodhe, you should PM Chris and have him play with your character. I think he should put it up as a build of the week. Would also let you know whether your build deserves nerfing or not (there is talk of allowing lightning strike or some other AOE move to be usable while unarmed, which would make your current DPS kind of... OP).
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
So new to this all.. and a few questions if anyone could answer or point me in the right direction i'd be much obliged...

1) does the facebreaker 1000% unarmed dmg apply to the "added base" dmg of elemental hit - i.e. should i read + 10 - 20 fire dmg as 100 - 200 (post facebreaker?)

2) seemingly conflicting messages does increased melee / more melee dmg impact the dmg output here?

cheers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info