Somebody please explain what immersion means to these devs!

I know PoE is still in Beta so I have no particular gripes about it... Everything looks awesome so far.

I have tried playing countless new games lately and I give up after about an hour or so... Games like L.A. Noir and Inversion suffer from crippling over control of the game... I don't understand how splitting my time between 40 minutes of cutscene and 20 minutes of gameplay each hour seems fun to anyone...

Here's another immersion killer I just encountered... I just started up darksiders 2 and it jumps right into the game... from the start I only have "Start Game" as a choice, then I choose my save game to load... which I thought was odd, but whatever... The game starts up and BOOM cutscene... fine.. it's the beginning of the game.. let's have a little backstory... It was cool... here are the first 2 problems and I haven't even moved my character yet:

1. There was a flashing "press escape to skip" message throughout the whole cutscene. annoying

2. The default resolution was set to 1280x720 which makes no sense on my system. There was definitely no way to change it before starting the game (trust me, I looked for it) and once I'm in the game, I can change it, but I have to restart the game for it to go into effect... so as part of properly playing this game, I'm expected to watch the opening cutscene, fiddle with the options, restart the game, and THEN start playing?

What a circus

Sorry this turned into such a rant... I just feel like game devs are so damn lazy about important things... They seem to focus way too much on graphics and other shinies that aren't really important to making a great game...

I don't foresee any of these problems with PoE which is why I posted in unrelated... Just to be clear.
Last edited by Veematoo on Aug 16, 2012, 12:59:05 AM
I totally agree! Cut scenes is often an element that destroys the whole joy with the game. Although it works in some games. I like it in the GTA-series, it fits in great with the game, and it's easy to familiarize oneself with the person.

I also loved Heavy Rain, but that game is more like an interactive movie - still great though.

Cut scenes can be the worst thing in the world, but they surely can be a very effective way of storytelling. But if the story is bad, there is no reason to tell it in cut scenes, as it makes it more distinct. Metal Gear Solid series had some amazing cut scenes, I loved to watch them all - Diablo 3 made me annoyed as hell.

Danskere: PM mig, hvis I har brug for en guild.
I'm actually a big fan of the D3 cutscenes. I wish there was an option to turn all the dialogue and cutscenes off while I'm farming act 3 for the hundredth time... but the first time around, they were pretty damn good.

Cutscenes are really only a part of the problem I'm talking about. Been playing darksiders 2 now for a couple hours and I'm really enjoying it... There are some minor combat issues here and there, but the story is fun, the game is smooth, the characters are likable, and I am actually playing a game. I was just annoyed with that starting sequence of events... start game, cutscene, options menu, restart... I would much rather play with a ton of options before watching the first cutscene... I can't be the only person who feels like this is stupid.

Immersion is a very important and very intangible thing.
"
Veematoo wrote:
I don't understand how splitting my time between 40 minutes of cutscene and 20 minutes of gameplay each hour seems fun to anyone...

That depends on the game. One of my favorite 'games' of all time is '999: 9 Hours, 9 Doors, 9 Persons', and it's at least 90% dialogue and text. It shouldn't work, but it does. Also, many roleplaying games forcus heavily on the story, so they need a nice cutscene now and then to drive the story forward. But yeah, 40 minutes of cutscenes and 20 minutes of play is a bit weird.

"
2. The default resolution was set to 1280x720 which makes no sense on my system. There was definitely no way to change it before starting the game

It's a port from consoles. I'm surprised you could change the resolution at all when you started playing. A general rule is if the game is on console, get it on console.

"
What a circus

At least it wasn't Afro Circus. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aELcXyjpts
"And that's how you die properly, sailor boy."
(The Witch)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info