3D Cursor for 3D Vision Compatibility

Hi GGG devs,

I've been playing around with 3D Vision in this game, and it's gorgeous in stereo 3D! The environments almost seem like they've been created with stereo in mind. Many of the effects look great too. Finally, the user interface seems compatible with stereo 3D.

There's only one thing missing. With the default 2D cursor, the cursor appears to float above the head of your avatar. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it does make it a lot less fun--you have to mentally adjust your expectation of where the cursor is and click accordingly.

Therefore, for now, I am only playing the game in 2D.

Would you consider adding a 3D cursor at some point in the future? I recognize that the work involved in creating a 3D cursor isn't negligible, and I recognize that we stereo viewers are a small, niche audience, but when everything else in the game works so wonderfully in stereo, it seems like a waste for that one single UI aspect to derail everything else.

Tall trees. High columns. Fire raining from above... Has anyone else tried this game in stereo 3D? Back me up, please, and tell the devs how great it looks!
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last bumped on Dec 7, 2016, 2:39:51 AM
i did, and i agree, it's gorgeous.
all effect shaders work propperly in 3D and enhance the experience greatly.

only the mouse and text/menu are 2d.
the menu itself isn't much of a problem, but the screen debth mouse cursor and hover text over items on the ground are small issues, that at times make it hard on the eyes playing POE in 3d for longer periods of time.
I'm in agreement, here: the potential is huge! I play with 3D Vision despite the problems because it looks so good. The field-of-view and perspective are just right to make the best of stereoscopy.

I'll also weigh in as a game programmer with some experience in stereoscopy and 3D Vision: all these problems will be solved if the PoE programmers switch the cursor and 2D overlay backends to use Direct3D surfaces. That way 3D Vision's "automatic" mode will be able to do the right thing with them.

I'm amazed that at this point game devs don't have a 3D Vision kit lying around to see how well their game works with it. I know stereoscopy is a very small percentage of the gaming community, but: 1) it's a vocal and devout group, and 2) it often requires very little effort to make a game work well.

The caveat for #2 is that it actually sometimes is a big effort: some dynamic shadow algorithms are very clever and circumvent the way Direct3D/OpenGL conceive of the 3D space, meaning that 3D Vision's "automatic" mode won't be able to do anything with them. However, this is not the case for PoE: there's only a short distance to go to make it perfect, and I hope the devs are listening.
We have a 3D setup in the office. I like to play on 95% depth at full zoom : ). I wish more people would check the game out in this way.

We're definitely listening and of course have noted the cursor a while ago although Jonathan, who handles the graphics engine, has his hands full atm.
Thanks so much for responding!

I'll be eagerly looking at all new patch notes for a mention of a fix. If and when you implement one, I'm playing this game in stereo 3D and never looking back! (And recommending it to fellow stereo 3D fans, too.)
Wash your hands, Exile!
A recent post about 3D vision inspired me to bump this thread. Please forgive the necro. :)

Bumpity-bump.

Is this on the radar at all for you GGG guys? I've been very patient, I think!

Most things in PoE work fine in 3D Vision using its automatic rendering. The only thing blocking it from working perfectly are the cursor and UI overlays, which are not projected in 3D space. If they were, in 3D Vision they would be made to "float" naturally. Because they're not, they appear to be at maximum closeness, making it jarring unless you're looking up close, at a high zoom level.

This seems like such an easy thing to fix! Please consider it!

And allow me to put my money where my mouth is: I will buy you guys an Nvida 3d Vision 2 kit, if you don't have one in the office.

(This one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-3d-vision2-wireless-glasses-kit-us.html)
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Dec 7, 2016, 12:34:16 AM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
A recent post about 3D vision inspired me to bump this thread. Please forgive the necro. :)

Bumpity-bump.

Don't bump a 3 year old thread (don't bump any over a year old)

I would have though it was clear given the amount of time that 3D isn't on the radar, even logically thinking about it, it's a waste of development time since so few use it (there are more wanting to have a mac client)
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Bumpity-bump.

Don't bump a 3 year old thread (don't bump any over a year old)

Why?

"
I would have though it was clear given the amount of time that 3D isn't on the radar, even logically thinking about it, it's a waste of development time since so few use it (there are more wanting to have a mac client)

Well, it's all about the effort-to-quality ratio, isn't it.

If PoE were far from being completely compatible with stereo 3D, I wouldn't bother. But it is, literally, SO CLOSE.

Have you seen this game in 3D? Have you personally tried it out? Go do that before shitting on the idea, please. :)
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info