Vaal Oversoul - am i missing stats or skill?

Hi there!

first to say: i love this game so far!

second: yesterday i arrived (without any problems) at the vaal oversoul in act 2. i made a townportal (just for security) opened the cage of the big thing - and was dead.

he instantly summoned 5 or more of those "construct"-guys, which deal massive damage on range. i didnt have one chance. i ported back to him and came just right to make the next townportal and was dead again. the best i could do was a timespan of 10 seconds when i ran away all the time. i got him to maybe 90%, dieing 7 times, then i couldnt make a new TP in time. needless to say, i am frustrated a little.

now my question: am i missing stats or skill?

my shadow-archer is lvl 32, has 360 HP, 300 Mana, 130 energieshield, 30% evasion and deals 230 DPS with firearrow, (around 200 with lightning and poison), i use a pair of level 5 zombies to do some offtank-work and have the arrow-curse-thing + i like to throw firetraps here and there

isnt that enough for the oversoul? what should i do?

thx for your answers!
Should be enough. Expecially if you are ranged. The trick is to shoot and run. Get rid of his summons while running, and then curse boss and damage him, also always running.

I had the same feeling of him being too strong, but after getting away an initial shock I've realised he is quite easy with more or less decent items.
Sorry for bad english grammar. I'm not a native english speaker. Feel free to correct me.
Current characters:
Nyanka - Lvl 57 Hex/IceCrit witch - wiped after CB
Nyanka - Lvl 40 IceCrit witch.
Double your hp. (decent +hp items in every piece)
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
I second your HP being too low.
hp is fine but you need to strike hard, or else is useless
btw i beaten it with your same stats and lvl , but i had double dps than you with burning arrow
i also have iron grip and iron reflexes

i died 6-7 times but only because i didn't get away when he summoned adds

the trick is staying on move, make some distance between you and adds and spam the hell out of split arrow till you are 1on 1 with the big machine

you should buff your dps because you need to one-two shot that damn constructs
if you need more shots to take them down you are dead meat

added chaos damage helps a lot
IGN:ChristaSwilton(lightning ranger)
Last edited by aUnluckyEvent on Aug 15, 2012, 8:22:30 AM
Had the same problem the first time I encountered him, had 12% lightning res then. Increased that to 75% to counter his lightning strike nuke ability and with some patience took him out quite easily.
"
Edradour wrote:
he instantly summoned 5 or more of those "construct"-guys, which deal massive damage on range. i didnt have one chance. i ported back to him and came just right to make the next townportal and was dead again. the best i could do was a timespan of 10 seconds when i ran away all the time. i got him to maybe 90%, dieing 7 times, then i couldnt make a new TP in time. needless to say, i am frustrated a little.

now my question: am i missing stats or skill?

my shadow-archer is lvl 32, has 360 HP, 300 Mana, 130 energieshield, 30% evasion and deals 230 DPS with firearrow, (around 200 with lightning and poison), i use a pair of level 5 zombies to do some offtank-work and have the arrow-curse-thing + i like to throw firetraps here and there

isnt that enough for the oversoul? what should i do?

thx for your answers!

Seems like you went full glass cannon. Anyway to do Vaal just get 75 % lightning resist for his lasers, physical resist (armor) for the falling rocks or just evade them (there is always a small rocks falling before the real big rock), and maye some cold resist. Fire resist will be good too but its only the big charge up melee.
So what i did was fire poison arrow all the time its super easy to kill those annoying little summons. Run around a lot and shot poison arrow. When u have a clear view of vaal just shot him with ur most damaging spell then run around again. It takes a lot of time but its super easy on normal and even on cruel. Merciless is another story if you are a glass cannon.

O yeah its also good to have a movement speed boots.
No food in fridge... Beer it is.
Last edited by bitedefer on Aug 15, 2012, 12:40:23 PM
If the mobs are killing you, then you definitely need more defence.

My only strategy with my ranger was to run around him until he got his 3 lightning shots off, then I would stop and attack during the rocks falling, mob spawning, ice shooting and so on. If the rocks or mobs are killing you, then you really need better defence. The lightning will hurt even with 75% resistance, but you shouldn't be one shot(with 75%) and you can easily avoid getting hit at all, even while running slowly over ice.
x.x wish I could remove my post, sorry. Nothing to see here.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Aug 15, 2012, 1:43:02 PM
Kill the ranged minions.

Run when he shoots ice, 95% of the time he'll start shooting his "lasers" next.

Take your time. Run away when low on HP/ES.

Abuse portals if you really cannot beat him.

- Get lightening resist, avoid his laser, don't step in the ice. It's helpful if you have a Dispel Chill flask on hand in case you end up stepping in it.

If your lightening resist is low he will 1-shot you, but get it high enough and you can mitigate it fairly well.

He is very easy if you follow him what he does.

He has 3 different type of arms (one is in front of him that he will use, while other 2 are back). Watch them carefully. When he moves the blue arm toward you (he needs a second or two to switch his arms), it means he will probably use the laser, so run away. His big melee attack is very slow, so you have time to move away also. Use attacks like leap slam, and shield charge to run away from his heavy attacks.

A couple of the best tips i could find from a few previous posts about this.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info