[2.4] How to smash Heads. Extremely detailed guide about the Facebreaker gloves and builds!

Decided to run the math here.

24% Tree
33% Lioneye's Remorse
26% Saffell's Frame

Assuming a middle roll non-legacy and a legacy Saffell's setup, you have 75% non-legacy and 110% legacy. That puts our numbers at:

57% Non-Spell (24% Tree + 33% Lioneye's Remorse)
37.5% Non-Legacy Spell ((24% Tree + 26% Saffell's Frame) * 75%)
55% Legacy Spell (24% Tree + 26% Saffell's Frame) * 110%)

Assuming you were capped before, you've lost 18% block on non-spell attacks. If you were at 75% before, you were getting hit 25% of the time. Now, you get hit 43% of the time. That's 72% more attacks that will hit you now (18/25 = .72).

Legacy spell block is down 20%, which results in 80% more spell attacks hitting. And non-legacy spell block is down 37.5% (yes, cut in half), which results in 150% more spell attacks striking you than before.

Rumi's will work as long as you can keep the flask active (any Rumi's will cap your non-spell block while you will add 15-20% straight onto your spell block). But when you're up against a boss, if you don't kill it before your flask runs out, you're going to see a lot more incoming damage real quick.

In addition, even with 20% Rumi's, your non-legacy spell block is only going to hit 57.5%. That's 17.5% off the prior cap, which means 70% more spell attacks will actually hit you. That's going to hurt unless you're also pumping resistance flasks, and you can only pump all your flasks for so long. I'm not sure how well it'll perform in challenge leagues as a result.

Ultimately, it'll require some in-game testing, but I'm not feeling optimistic, based solely on the numerical changes, that it'll be a smooth adjustment for this build. I'm also hoping for some uniques that'll help it out significantly.

Also, is a fresh look at Tempest Shield in order? 4% block suddenly looks a lot more appealing.
My Builds:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739942 - Flee the Fire! Fireball / Flameblast Sire of Shards Chieftain
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1572176 - Chill and Breathe: An Arctic Breath Totem Build
Hmm Tempest shield is an interesting idea. But is it worth it to sacrifice Herald of Ash for it? I don't know maybe.
About the math .. it doesn't sound pretty on paper ... but really only in-game testing will tell us for sure.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
removed.
Last edited by BrokenClock901 on Dec 5, 2014, 7:28:20 AM
"
KorgothBG wrote:
Hmm Tempest shield is an interesting idea. But is it worth it to sacrifice Herald of Ash for it? I don't know maybe.
About the math .. it doesn't sound pretty on paper ... but really only in-game testing will tell us for sure.

Hatred + herald of ash + tempest shield will reserve 79% mana with a lvl 19 reduced mana gem. It might be possible to run this combo with your skills on mana leech.
Well the thing is that i'm doing Cyclone lately ( and hopefully something new with the new patch ) and Determination just gives insane amounts of armour .. and with the extra armour from the new tree it would be even more impactful .. on the other hand ... 4% block chance and 2 passive skill points that i can save ... i'm not sure yet.
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Dec 5, 2014, 11:48:34 AM
Here's a random idea I came up with. Facebreaker Ranger. It doesn't have as much armor and life as the usual versions, but the amounts are reasonable. I'm not sure if it's as good as the traditional versions or not, but I think it would at least do fairly well.

You could probably readjust some of the points to get the three block nodes off the Scion starting area for 4% more block, which would get you up to 70% block chance. Not quite sure what the best way is to do that though.

Copy/Paste this into the offline skill planner to see it. 112 Point Build.

*EDIT* Now with the correct link!

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm43OqAG873r2o9N-r6cknXiuLOliWkjuFSDdDRutPeIqTSLi0TaQCvzFW68_J0fiCTNnoBjbSsjQgeIsh3Z08W6qpDlKfSFgtfJAoDWSwL9eE_6P2L2ple9OYEtN4_4KDPdhUgUtplfyRayvhmB67zrhOlJ07byfhO8YkRRNYuwB501GpzDBgp7N6dXSIXk58kFXDX7iggfZYRo-rY3yL18_fLjPfvZIKS52rIzP6hg9_PcyWGNyqXzZxPZVqT0Pl7QcziSLagErUAY5Dc2AVvuq_lRPffMGUWCG0ScLg7Y=

Highlights:

29% Block (33% with Tempest Shield Aura). Means a base of 66% block.
375% Increased Defences from Equipped Shield
183% Increased Life
186% Increased ARmor
+59% All Elemental Resists (+31 base, + 28 shield)
+8% Fire Resist
+1% Max Fire Resist
19% Reduced Mana Cost of Skills
80% Increased Life Recovery from Flasks
20% Increased Mana Regeneration Rate
12% Increased Effect of Auras you Cast
24% Increased Radius of Auras
4% Reduced Mana Reserved (Auras)
Resolute Technique

My Builds:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739942 - Flee the Fire! Fireball / Flameblast Sire of Shards Chieftain
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1572176 - Chill and Breathe: An Arctic Breath Totem Build
Last edited by Eustacio on Dec 5, 2014, 12:50:11 PM
I fail to see the aura nodes taken in the skill tree that you've posted :/
anyway i'll compare what i was thinking and your idea to see what are the differences :)

thats mine for now:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAuR0V7JkrvYHKkITZL8xHfraKwYK9NmLsZU2E776ndO0ZtHrvytMFLSzpYEsVIF4TKk0i4tE2QKA_J0fiCTPAv0rI0IHiLKmVbqqkOQz3tfKsrzWSG5fYvTJO_gq3PsauHKc8LQxfd-PE9kz_U6WuPnKpPQ-vbGebrKr3MhzOJIto8uRRWfPqGHzZK1AGOfAfUEfAGnasDc37qqIA7w5mnho4z37-VPMGBLMUIPrSkFVRYMBmXz8XLxZvJy-f3_ZIGj5k5ySq42rvfIzPxFh-4jbpPfx5OVhj6dUn1f6P

And you have way too much all res nodes .. but i guess you need them ... with my tree you can get 1 8% all res with shield and diamond skin and you end up with the same all res in total ( -1% actually )
Last edited by KorgothBG on Dec 5, 2014, 12:34:41 PM
OK so here are the final results i've kept the mana related stats out of it .. because some use blood magic... and for the resistances .. the difference really is 2-3 skill points... but everyone has different res needs based on their gear ^^

----------
Ranger tree
----------

Strength - 284 (-39)
Dexterity - 222 (+109)
Intelligence - 64 (-20)

increased Evasion rating - 42% (-2%)
increased maximum life - 183% (-27%)
all elemental resistances - 31% (+18%)
increased armour - 186% (+50%)
life regeneration - 2% (-5.2%)
maximum fire resistance - 1% (the same)
increased fire resistance - 8% (the same)
total increased attack speed - 8% (-14%)
total increased physical damage - 86% (-96%)
block chance - 29% (+5%)
defenses from equiped shield - 375% (+35%)
elemental resistances while holding shield - 28% (+14%)

----------
Duelist tree
----------

Strength - 323 (+39)
Dexterity - 113 (-109)
Intelligence - 84 (+20)

increased Evasion rating - 44% (+2%)
increased maximum life - 209% (+27%)
all elemental resistances - 13% (-18%)
increased armour - 136% (-50%)
life regeneration - 7.2% (+5.2%)
maximum fire resistance - 1% (the same)
increased fire resistance - 8% (the same)
total increased attack speed - 22% (+14%)
total increased physical damage - 182% (+96%)
block chance - 24% (-5%)
defenses from equiped shield - 340% (-35%)
elemental resistances while holding shield - 12% (-14%)

duelist tree doesn't have
You take 20% reduced extra damage from critical strikes

ranger tree doesn't have
AoE radius - 16%
AoE damage - 8%
+2 weapon range
chaos resistance - 20%
4% less aura reservation

Noticable differences
The Ranger build has a lot more armour (85%)
The Ranger build has 5% more block chance
The Ranger build takes 20% less damage from crits
The Ranger build has more resistances taken
The Duelist build has more life
The Duelist build has a lot more damage
The Duelist build has a lot more life regen ( 5.2% )
The Duelist build has AoE passives ( extremely useful for cyclone )
The Duelist build has chaos ressitance
The Duelist build has 4% less aura reservation ( 100% needed for Hatred+Determination+Herald of Ash )
Last edited by KorgothBG on Dec 5, 2014, 12:45:53 PM
*EDIT* I put the wrong one in. Only difference is it adds the aura nodes.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm43OqAG873r2o9N-r6cknXiuLOliWkjuFSDdDRutPeIqTSLi0TaQCvzFW68_J0fiCTNnoBjbSsjQgeIsh3Z08W6qpDlKfSFgtfJAoDWSwL9eE_6P2L2ple9OYEtN4_4KDPdhUgUtplfyRayvhmB67zrhOlJ07byfhO8YkRRNYuwB501GpzDBgp7N6dXSIXk58kFXDX7iggfZYRo-rY3yL18_fLjPfvZIKS52rIzP6hg9_PcyWGNyqXzZxPZVqT0Pl7QcziSLagErUAY5Dc2AVvuq_lRPffMGUWCG0ScLg7Y=

Champion of the Cause wheel. Just to the right of Iron Grip at the bottom of the Duelist area. I don't like running that far north for the aura nodes when there is a wheel right in the Duelist zone (not a great wheel, but gets the job done).

I tend to highly value the resist all nodes if they're close, but they might be able to be removed. I'll have to do some tweaking at some point. That tends to be a matter of what you have for gear.

It looks like I have 50% or so more armor than you and 5% more block, while you've got more life regen and increased life. I will say mine is based off an Infernal Blow build over a Cyclone build, so there are probably going to be some preferences in terms of which nodes to take (I find I don't really need the Increased Area node, though it'd be nice).

I will, if I keep my Duelist as my Facebreaker, probably do a tree very similar to that one, provided the Duelist start area remains the same. I just found it interesting that a Ranger could actually surpass the Duelist in certain areas of the tree that the Duelist used to dominate (such as Block).
My Builds:

Last edited by Eustacio on Dec 5, 2014, 12:48:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info