How I fixed "Protocol is out of date" error

Hi Everyone,

I booted up my game today and found myself running into the "Protocol is out of date" error. After searching the forums and trying fixes people have previously used I finally got the game working again. Since I had to try a couple different things to get rid of the error I thought I would post a write up what I did for anyone else who runs into the same situation. (For background information I am running a month old clean install of Windows 7 x64 with all Windows Updates and the latest drivers)

1) Run a pack check on your install by following the directions found here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18531/highlight/

2) If the pack check doesn't fix the error navigate to the install folder for PoE, and delete the content.ggpk file. Launch the game and wait for the content to re-download.

3) If you are still getting the error (like I was) reinstalling PoE into a different folder should fix your problem. First uninstall PoE from Add/Remove Programs. Next make a new folder somewhere on your C:\ drive. I happen to have a D:\ drive so I made a new folder there called D:\Grinding Gear Games\. Then run the installer and make sure to choose your new folder as the location you want to install PoE. After the game was re-downloaded again everything worked for me.

Hope this helps anyone who runs into this problem!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info