Merveil's coldsnap

"
jrodman wrote:
And all the other cold snapping enemies taught me that positioning and avoidance were far more useful than resistance.

Same. I completed all difficulties and acts without any cold resist at all. I just played a lot more defensively in cold snap areas, and abused the shit out of Merveil to kill her solo.

"
And you can fight Merveil with positioning and avoidance (aka kiting, hiding behind the pillars after each attack, moving around to dodge the coldsnap spam until she pauses..), it just takes longer.

In your last post you say you've only beaten her on normal. Please don't assess the encounter when you've only completed it on the lowest difficulty...

By the way your fire trap strategy doesn't work on Merveil on Merciless because 3 fire traps aren't enough to even take down her energy shield. And she 1 shots all skeletons, even if you have minion life gem and passives. You can only use skeletons to distract her for a second. It is almost impossible to beat her without using a TP to constantly replenish.
Last edited by TYRI_ on Aug 13, 2012, 12:59:48 AM
I'be beaten her on normal and cruel by kiting/fire trap. I've beaten her on other difficulties using skeletons. Please do not assume that I only beaten her in one level just because I only mentioned a single strat which I personally used.

Also you obviously don't know how ES works. So long as you keep burn status on her, her ES will eventually go down. It is theoretically possible to defeat her using any damage ability so long as you constantly damage her long enough to drain her ES, cause she doesn't regen health.

In terms of skeletons, the skeletons spread out enough (assuming you've more than 2 skeletons per cast) for them to not be completely wiped out by her AoE, if casted directly on her. Not to mention if you're using unstable minions each killed skeleton damages her too. Not to mention you can just get enough mana regen to spam skeletons..
"
Psaakyrn wrote:
I'be beaten her on normal and cruel by kiting/fire trap. I've beaten her on other difficulties using skeletons. Please do not assume that I only beaten her in one level just because I only mentioned a single strat which I personally used.

Uhh you haven't beaten her on Ruthless/Merciless with fire trap because it doesn't work (unless perhaps you have insane dps). That's all I was saying.

"
Psaakyrn wrote:
Also you obviously don't know how ES works. So long as you keep burn status on her, her ES will eventually go down. It is theoretically possible to defeat her using any damage ability so long as you constantly damage her long enough to drain her ES, cause she doesn't regen health.

Yeah I don't know how ES works, being a witch and all.

Keeping burn status on her via traps probably isn't possible above cruel. The cooldown between traps is pretty high, higher than the duration of burning I think. And burning isn't guaranteed.

Even if it did work it still means the encounter is broken. It's legitimate but a real boring way to beat a boss and should be discouraged.

"
Psaakyrn wrote:
In terms of skeletons, the skeletons spread out enough (assuming you've more than 2 skeletons per cast) for them to not be completely wiped out by her AoE, if casted directly on her. Not to mention if you're using unstable minions each killed skeleton damages her too. Not to mention you can just get enough mana regen to spam skeletons..

Yeah she usually kills all your skeletons in 2 attacks. Each of them don't survive more than 1 hit. This makes the fight very mana intensive. Skeletons only allow you to get 2-3 fireballs off if you cast skeletons behind her to make her face the other way. So it's also rather time consuming.

You need to spam thawing potions and cold resist potions to beat her, and since they run out quickly you are forced to TP. I don't see how it's possible to beat her on Merciless with standard gear without going back to town multiple times.
Last edited by TYRI_ on Aug 13, 2012, 1:51:02 AM
Maybe the burn doesn't always proc, but the fire patch the trap leaves lasts more than long enough. I would assume that if you're doing higher difficulties though you'd have already specialized in a different spell, use that spell instead; you just need to snipe her and damage enough to go through her ES, and as long as you can until you're in danger before you hide once more. And I wouldn't be using a badly unlevelled spell against Merveil anyway at ruthless or higher..

I personally wouldn't spam the thawing potions unless you need to hide, and assuming you're fire specced (hence using fireballs) those should be the thing that's inflicting the burn status anyway. Ice and lightning might be more risky since they don't have a DoT, but so long as you manage to get a few casts out (enough to wipe out her ES and do some damage) her defeat is inevitable.

Merciless is probably the easiest anyway cause by then you've started to get quest rewards with totem support, so the only real issue would be at ruthless. But honestly, I can't begin to give advice for ruthless unless I actually know your build, but for ranged non-summoner play, the basics should be distract and snipe, hide and rest, repeat

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info