Diablo 3 starting to steal ideas from PoE?

The one idea I hope that GGG steals from D3 was the random events. Most areas had one or two weird things that could pop up or not. It greatly added to the replayablity of the areas.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The one idea I hope that GGG steals from D3 was the random events. Most areas had one or two weird things that could pop up or not. It greatly added to the replayablity of the areas.

It's coming, we have already exiles
Anarchy/Onslaught T-Shirt Owner.
Trading Guide : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519890
Killing Vaal merc with (600 life) : http://is.gd/qsgV9P [Open Beta]
Let's be Crazy: http://is.gd/TxxLsS / Old Suggestion: http://is.gd/Jd09W0
<< God blesses those who bless themselves >>
The only thing I would like PoE to borrow from d3 is goblins concept. That is the only feature I liked in that game. I know there is a treasure mod but I never ever see them.
IGN - Maligulous
Maligulous Merchandise view-thread/206182 - Standard
SciClones Merchandise view-thread/551337 - Domination
There seems to be a confusion between "stealing" and being inspired by. Every creative endeavor is inspired by something, often other things of the same type, but many painters are inspired by natural landscapes. Would you say that a painter is "stealing" their ideas from the river they are painting? Creativity and art is always about taking things in, reflecting upon them, mixing them with other things, and then (for lack of a better word) regurgitating that mixture out in whatever medium feels appropriate. Rinse and repeat, and you have a chain of inspiration that leads back quite far.

Chuck Berry -> Elvis -> The Beatles -> etc...

Stealing on the other hand, would be me "writing" this really great song called "Stair Steps to Heaven" about a lady who's sure that "all that sparkles is gold", etc...
IGN EntropicThunder
"
MissDerry wrote:
I couldn't help but compere this idea to PoE crafting.

Now I know GGG didn't invent this idea but they have refined it to make it one of the most interesting (and sometimes frustrating and rewarding) crafting systems on the market.

Which of PoE's gameplay methods do you think will become part of D3 in the future?

note: This isn't meant to be a D3 bashing thread so please keep it clean.

Sigh. I'm guessing you never played D2. There was a quest reward that allowed you to turn a white item into a rare. D3 isn't, and has not taken a single thing from PoE that I can see.

"
MissDerry wrote:
More and more I can see D3 utilizing the successful ideas of PoE into D3 to take back players they lost to this awesome game (myself included).

"More and more"? Really? Give one example of something D3 has added since launch that you could reasonably argue came specifically from PoE.

Also, D3 always has and always will have significantly more people playing then PoE. Blizzard has zero reason to be remotely concerned with what this game is doing.
As far as things that D3 has done better than PoE, permanent deaths in hardcore and boss encounters that trap you in the room with the boss. I mostly play softcore because my irl friends don't like hardcore, but I like having a character or two going in hardcore. I was disappointed when I learned in PoE that death just moves you to softcore. As a hybrid soft/hardcore player, I don't really have much motive to keep playing hardcore. If I find something really great, I'm just going to make a lvl 1 char to kill and send that to my main softcore account.

The boss encounters in D3 hardcore were so much more climactic because you had to be 100% sure you could kill the boss when you clicked on the door to their chamber. In PoE you can just drop a portal and scurry back to town if you realize you're not ready.

And I really dislike areas like City of Sarn and The Forrest after act bosses. From a pacing standpoint it's just really awkward. The boss fight is a climax, and usually I want to catch my breath a bit in a new town and and prepare for the next act. Having to fight through another area immediately is disjointed at best and really annoying at worst.
IGN EntropicThunder
95% of all game content is recycled.
87% of statistics are made up.
"
"
MissDerry wrote:
I couldn't help but compere this idea to PoE crafting.

Now I know GGG didn't invent this idea but they have refined it to make it one of the most interesting (and sometimes frustrating and rewarding) crafting systems on the market.

Which of PoE's gameplay methods do you think will become part of D3 in the future?

note: This isn't meant to be a D3 bashing thread so please keep it clean.

Sigh. I'm guessing you never played D2. There was a quest reward that allowed you to turn a white item into a rare. D3 isn't, and has not taken a single thing from PoE that I can see.

"
MissDerry wrote:
More and more I can see D3 utilizing the successful ideas of PoE into D3 to take back players they lost to this awesome game (myself included).

"More and more"? Really? Give one example of something D3 has added since launch that you could reasonably argue came specifically from PoE.

Also, D3 always has and always will have significantly more people playing then PoE. Blizzard has zero reason to be remotely concerned with what this game is doing.

I did play D2 for about 18 months. During 1.08 and 1.09. I had played previously but I overdid the hours during those patches. I literally woke up to d2 and fell asleep when I couldnt stay awake a minute longer. I cant remember every detail (as I smoked a hell of a lot of weed back then) but I think you may be referring to a blacksmith quest? Rings a bell anyway. That was a one shot deal per difficulty yes? Not a major crafting option such as PoE.

As for what D3 has added because of PoE you misread the title of the post. The keyword is "starting". I played D3 from day 0 and it was hard. In fact once you hit act2 inferno it was near impossible to progress even with the demon hunter's infinite smoke screen bug/feature. What I am saying with this post (and I didn't choose my words carefully enough...my bad) is that the ideas Actiblizz are throwing around seem to mirror some of PoE's gameplay. Turning whites into crafting items being the one that sparked my interest.

Actiblizz have every reason to worry about their fanbase dwindling as they do have shareholders and the game is only funded on new sales of the game and RMAH sales. The latter being a downward spiral. The day it stops making more money than development cost is the day it officially dies. Obviously that will take time but I am 1005 sure Actiblizz will do everything in their power to make sure that day comes later rather than sooner. Unfortunately for me, having invested a 1000 hours in the game, its too little too late.

PoE forever.
"
maligulous wrote:
The only thing I would like PoE to borrow from d3 is goblins concept. That is the only feature I liked in that game. I know there is a treasure mod but I never ever see them.

And, just for the record, that wasn't an original Blizzard idea. Neither were health globes... ;-D
"
MissDerry wrote:
Recently, with the console release of D3, they have implemented a system to turn whites into something useful. On console it will turn them into gold (a chance to anyway) to save going to town over and over as, in their infinite lack of wisdom, everyone gets portalled to town in a multiplayer game.

Seeing as this is a moot endeavour for PC users they are talking about using white items for heavy crafting as base items. I couldn't help but compere this idea to PoE crafting.

During the development of D3 I seem to remember they had planned to have in game items that let players break loot into gold or crafting mats - so it's more a case of them reintroducing the system that got cut out.
*Now with added Kiwi*
(His name is Colin)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info