Someone help me understand this game please!

Hey guys so as you can tell by the title I have NO idea what I'm doing. I just started playing today. And I thought all you need to do is add passive skills that make sense and random gems in your weapon and armors, but apparently that's not the case. You add passive skills for the build you want your class to be, and gem for the moves that suit your class and build. But i dont know any good builds or what gems to use for classes and builds. I was wondering if someone wants to explain how to play through typing it or ventrilo or skype or something. If you can help me out with all this shit i would really appreciate it.
Necro Templar :)
You can occasionally ask global chat for random advice, but be aware you'll only get an actual answer about half the time.

Let me see if i can break the more complex overall stuff down for you :
The character you pick only affects where you start on the passive skill tree, not what weapons or armor you can use. What affects that is stats, which, confusingly enough, ARE affected by where you start on the tree, confused yet?

there are 3 main stats : Strength, Intelligence, and Dexterity.

each of the 3 stats has an "area" of the skill tree that is more or less focused on that stat. There are also character classes that are called "hybrids" since they start in between two different stat areas of the tree.

It breaks down like this:
Marauder : STR
Templar : STR/INT
Witch : INT
Shadow :INT/DEX
Ranger :DEX
Duelist :DEX/STR

Those of us who have played a long time like to plan out our builds beforehand, so we know going in what class we want to play with what weapon type, and generally what skills we are going to use. Let's try and break down some skills for you.

So when you decide on a weapon type, that will narrow down what kind of skill gems you want to use. When you complete quests in the game, often you are given choices on skill gems, just read through the description and see if that is a good fit for your character. half of the game is trying different builds, so try not to get discouraged if something doesn't work out too well for you.

There are two types of skill gems : active skills and support gems, and each gem is one of three colors
Red : STR based, will require more STR as you level it up, often times melee gems are red.
Green : DEX based, will require more DEX as you level it up, Most ranged skills are Green, but there are Melee green skills as well.
Blue : INT based, more INT will be needed as you level it up. Many spells are Blue, like fireball and Ice Spear.

many active gems can only be used with specific weapon types, In those cases, it should state in the description what it's usable with. Like burning arrow can only be used while you have a bow equipped, though that does NOT mean you have to put it in your Bow specifically.

The support gems (smaller, more round in appearance) serve a different function. They can be "linked" to regular skill gems by putting them in sockets that have the connection between them. You can have any combination of skill gems and support gems in a link chain, and they will all work together. But most of the 4+ links don't really start showing up until much later in the game.

If you have any other specific questions i can help you with. Feel free to join my public teamspeak 3 server at ts3.fragworld.org and jump in the path of exile channel, there is usually someone online in there who may be able to help you out.

Whatever happened to people enjoying figuring things out on their own instead of asking for walkthroughs?
My advice would be to find skills that you find appealing and then try to figure out how they work and what will compliment their weaknesses. Once you've figured that out, you should have a little better idea how to build your character.

There are a lot of resources available besides just asking on the forums. You can try the mechanics thread in this subsection, the unofficial PoE wiki, or try asking in game or on the forums and hoping for someone who is helpful.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
As long as you pick passives that seem like they should go with your skills, from a common-sense perspective, you'll be fine in the end.

You won't wind up with your optimal skillpoint-efficient build, but you won't wind up way out in left field either. Just let your left brain take charge, you'll do OK. And maybe wind up needing 30 regret orbs or so to max. Which isn't really all that time consuming to farm up/trade for.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
"
CheapShot wrote:
Whatever happened to people enjoying figuring things out on their own instead of asking for walkthroughs?

2004 happened.
The answer is 42.
"
dieslave wrote:
"
CheapShot wrote:

2004 happened.

And consoles.
If GGG chickens made an action RPG, what would it be called? Path of Eggxile, a Peck 'n' Slash RPG.
Why was the helmet spluttering? It was a coif.
For the people saying that figuring it out by my self is what i need to do. I apologize for being a noob.
Necro Templar :)
dont apologize to the elitists..

this game has a huge amount of customization, and if you are coming from games like d3 and others that make it super simple to pick and choose playstyles, then it can be overwhelming.

you are not alone, there are tons of people who don't know where to begin either. and there is even a market for that kind of player, ie, prima strategy guides and how popular they were for a while. some people love to look at others strategies, because even though you look through and find stuff for yourself, you may not see all angles and you are just hurting yourself in a multiplayer public game by choosing not to delve into other peoples builds to improve your own.

ie.. kripparian is someone people love,,, i hate him because he literally cheats games to win whenever he can (ie, d3 when he and his buddy "beat" hc inferno, except they won because they were using a wizard hydra bug to keep the wizard alive the whole time). now if he had know there was a way to be invulnerable with a wizard, you think he would have done it. so many people hang on the things he says, and copy his builds and playstyle... but thats their choice, they even develope their own by using his as a primer for their own.

there is no wrong way to build your character (unless you literally just cannot survive) but thats why there are respec points you can slowly turn back the clock with.

edit: the best way IMHO to progress when you dont know what to do, is to experiment, this is beta, you dont know everything yet, and its best to follow a path you feel is best for YOU right now.. if you want to do damage, follow damage trees, if you want to tank, follow armor/block trees. remember,, there WILL be skill wipes during beta after large patches to trees. and characters WILL be wiped later, so don't fret if you mess up too bad, just go with it and experiment

and anytime you get a gem, and you have an open slot, even if you dont want to use it, toss it in a slow and level it as you play until you either cant level it anymore, or until you need that slot for something you do want... you never know, you may end up liking that skill even when you thought it was useless
Last edited by kracin on Aug 5, 2012, 11:08:08 PM
"
RealSP wrote:
For the people saying that figuring it out by my self is what i need to do. I apologize for being a noob.

If it is no fun for you to go trial and error path (of exile) there is no problem with asking other exiles for help. Some don't help and some do. My only advice here is to read ingame dialogues. They don't help with your problem but they are worth it.
✠ ✠

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info