My working WASD movement implementation for PoE

"
heldunder wrote:
I would LOVE to play this game. it looks amazing. but i cant play it if it's click movement. this isn't the late 90's any more advanced play styles exist, and for a game to be successful they need to tweak it to better suit a large audience. people simply will not touch this game if the controls stay borked the way they are.
You are free to prefer keyboard movement but saying that mouse movement is worse because it's old is incredibly stupid. Keyboards were used in PCs before mouse even existed and so there were games without mouse support. Mouse is actually the newer and more advanced play style with ability to move and target more precisely.

This doesn't mean mouse movement is better in one game or another and your post doesn't say anything about why keyboard would be better. A lot of people like mouse movement better than keyboard, just as you like the opposite.

"
think about it, what % of people who you expect to BUY the game are hardcore players who are actually concerned with how an old ARPG was played? maybe 2-4% you need to apeal to the rest of potential gamers as well.
That is horribly wrong. D2 fans, that will like the game and it's controls, may be big enough audience to cater alone. There will also be a lot of players from more modern games like LoL, HoN, DoTA2 (and LoL is currently the most played game in the world) that have similar mouse movement and millions of players. There will also be RTS fans like SC2 players and vast majority of them will prefer mouse movements. This is tweaked for big audience and it's very probable that you are in minority here.

If you want to argue that keyboard is better, please use actual arguments, not rants that "it's more advanced", which is bullshit. Or that more players would like keyboard, which isn't reasonable at all.
______

"
anubite wrote:
The main issue I find now is that people who use your script in PVP might be at a significant advantage, with more rapid/precise mobility. Able to move and target a player simultaneously. I'm not against implementing WSAD movement, but it shouldn't exist as a third party application. That's basically cheating.
This may be a bit of a concern. In SC2 you can use mouse to move back while clicking button to hold or stop to attack while moving most efficiently. However, without auto-attacks it's not that big advantage. This may be an effective strategy at low level where players don't have too good mouse control and a smartly done character that kites can easily kill a certain other character. It should quickly backfire with lack of precise movement since you can only move in 8 directions on keyboard.

However, without animation canceling you can't move back and attack faster than the other player is attacking a few times and then moving. Even without this players with good precision in mouse movement should be able move and target better than the ones with keyboard. With lack of animation canceling most other players will not have problem too.
______

To OP: good work, very interesting. I would never have thought of clicking near character for keyboard movement :P I don't see the need to implement this in game client but if you have fun playing like this, it's great!
Last edited by globbi on September 3, 2012 9:10 AM
Chris has already stated that there will be no keyboard-controlled movement option. Feel free to continue discussing this script, but I'm moving the thread out of the Suggestions section.
Problems? support@grindinggear.com
Video would be nice.
This script feels so damn badass!

It sucks that I have to use a mouse to move after experiencing this =(.
Starting from scratch in open beta.
Pretty cool little script, works reasonably well. Driving with the wasd keys is definitely interesting. It's a little hard to know what it would really be like until the mouse can be used independently (probably quite good!).
Level Designer/Dungeoneer

Always post a screenshot with /debug command entered into the chat window.

First stop for Common Technical Problems
"
Joel_GGG wrote:
Pretty cool little script, works reasonably well. Driving with the wasd keys is definitely interesting. It's a little hard to know what it would really be like until the mouse can be used independently (probably quite good!).

Independant mouse usage would put this into the banned in pvp category
I just try to imagine, how this could be handled... I actually have only 5 fingers on my left hand to arrange with 5 skills, 5 flasks, AND Shift, Control and Alt button - there's really nothing left to also control even some movement with the same hand! ^^
registered @ 27.08.2011, invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
/global 4745 - deutscher Chat; http://www.exiled.eu - deutsches Community-Forum
exiled.teamspeak.de - kleiner TS der exiled.eu Community
The script does what it says it does and is very neat.

Ofc it gets clunky when you can't tell for sure where you mouse is gonna pop up for the aiming. I wonder if working in a macro for mouse click + shift would help.

Congratulations (Parabéns).
Because life is short, you shall make rains of all sort - Amarena, the Iron Man
-
My IRON MAN witch build video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJOUcu0ioL4
-
Do you want your witch wearing PANTS? check
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19769
"
Completed 1 ChallengeMr_Cee wrote:
I just try to imagine, how this could be handled... I actually have only 5 fingers on my left hand to arrange with 5 skills, 5 flasks, AND Shift, Control and Alt button - there's really nothing left to also control even some movement with the same hand! ^^

You could change the WASD to something you can hit with your right hand. Just saying.
FFA loot = single player game.

"I'm sorry I steal all the things, it's the only way I know how to say I love you." - a FFA looter.
"
Joel_GGG wrote:

Ugh.. please don't tell me you're actually planning to actively support WASD movement and/or the use of this script.

This sort of script should be grounds for a ban given the advantage it gives over move-to-cursor.

What this game could use is a move-to-cursor key which allows you to move without accidental clicks on mobs/loot without allowing you to target mobs behind you while you run away. D3 added this by popular demand just prior to release while standing firm against WASD - one of a short list of things they got right.

This is the first I've read that has me extremely concerned about PoE's future direction. (Grumble.)
"See the glass as half full. Understand that as you try to fill it, the glass will get bigger."
- Philip Toshio Sudo.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info