Should I 5L a 5os item or 6os item?

I have
Unavailable
Unavailable

Now, I am not sure which would get to 5L faster, the 5os or the 6os one?

If possible, can a dev explain how fusing works exactly?
Is there like a set percentile for 5L and 6L respectively, or does the chance varies depending on how many socket you have?
Alice_of_Wraeclast - Dagger CI Witch
Alice_MadnessReturns - Molten Strike AoF witch
Flavour Build concept taken from Alice: Madness Returns
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
In theory the 6S one would link faster, about 25% faster (judging by rough estimates that I've observed). Basically the idea is this, the chance of rolling a 5L on the first roll of the 5L is identical to the first roll of the 6L, but if the 1st socket on the 6S rolls no links (about 1 in 3 times), there's a 2nd roll with 5 sockets left and a 2nd chance to roll a 5L.

Assuming the odds of rolling a 5L are 1:61ish (the numbers I go by), the 6S has a 1:43 chance of rolling 5L. Sometimes it takes more, I've rolled over 10 most have taken around 40, but I've had a few unlucky/lucky rolls. Rolled a 5L on the 1st try once, but also took 120+ to roll a 5L once.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
5S is easier to 5L than a 6S (since a 6S can proc 4 links without being 5L). Expect anywhere between 50-150 fusing for a 5L and 300+ for a 6L. I've 5 linked on the 4th fusing before but recently it took me 152 fusing to get a 5 link on one item. In contrast it took me 310 to get a 6L and my friend did it on the 7th fusing. Just have to hope to get lucky.
The 6 socket item has more 4 link and improper link possibilities. The 5 socket item is substantially more likely to become a 5 link. But, the 5 socket item has zero chance to roll a 6 link. I think that makes it balanced.
"
gw_epyon wrote:
But, the 5 socket item has zero chance to roll a 6 link.

Whoa…
IGN: NuzzyFipples
Thanks for the reply guys, I am leaning toward 5os as well, as I usually get 4L from 4os much more often than getting a 4L from 5os.

Ignore the other posters who are speculating based on the assumption that the game rolls each link individually. The chances of getting a 5L or 6L are explicitly controlled. If you roll four links on a 6-slot, that's no guarantee that that item would have been a 5-link had it had 5 slots.
"
Strill wrote:
Ignore the other posters who are speculating based on the assumption that the game rolls each link individually. The chances of getting a 5L or 6L are explicitly controlled. If you roll four links on a 6-slot, that's no guarantee that that item would have been a 5-link had it had 5 slots.

Even if you're right about the false asumption, you don't answer the question.
Is it easier to roll a 5L on a 5S than on a 6S ?
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
"
Strill wrote:

But does having 5os share the same chance of getting 5L as a 6os?

Is the chance to 5L fixed for every single item; even a 4os (and since it can't get 5L, it's rolled as 4L instead)?

Or does each different number of socket has its own chance of 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, and 6L respectively?

"
wxyjac wrote:
"
Strill wrote:

But does having 5os share the same chance of getting 5L as a 6os?
According to the devs, no.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info