Best game never made?

WARNING VERY LONG AND PRETENTIOUS

List/short version for lazy people!

-Spirit World with Machines
-Different camera choices
-Full Character customization (no classes)
-Large choice of passives/masteries
-create your own skills!
-elements are debuffs (no damage immunity)
-Full balance between melee and ranged characters
-Stats that offer real customization
-two types of loot: materials and data chips
-3 ranks items with chip slots (Ex. normal 2 sockets / unique 6 sockets)
-2 types of chips: affix and suffix ones (similar but better than gems)
-no junk find loot system
-instead of hunting for a really powerful unique, you hunt for hard to find, rare materials and chips to create your own unique items
-unlimited inventory
-direct item transfer (no clicking on ground)
-No towns/NPCs
-Random generated maps and enemies that do not respawn except for endgame where you create your own maps (like uniques)
-images

Alright I am boasting myself, you can say I am full of it but if I could make a video game, if I was a game designer, I believe, maybe delusively, that it could be the best game of all time...in concept. Tell me what you think and if you have some ideas of your own, please do tell, I am not the only one who dreams of making is own game, am I?

It would be called: Beyond Existence...or Meta...or Ethereal...something like that

[2]
The world would be a very abstract/surreal one, a spirit/dream world. The main character and enemies would be cyborgs/robots, the idea is that everything organic would be robotic/high tech while still keeping organic characteristics, for example. A tree made of electric wire instead of wood, beasts with teeth and claws made of metal…that does not mean the world appears futuristic but just cybernetic. The theme would be very spiritual, machines have souls and they can cast magic with mystical symbols of alchemy. The theme would also be very dark/horrifying, enemies would not look fierce/powerful but rather disturbing/grim. The plot would almost be nonexistent but the game would convey many messages about life/purpose, it would be about a soul trying to find peace, going through hell and finally defying God.

Now for some gameplay concept:

[3]
The choice of camera could be top-down, Isometric, 3rd person and even 1st person, see the game through different perspectives!

[4]
When you start, you can choose gender and appearance but there are no classes, you can become anything you want, mix and match skills that are very different, complete freedom!

[5]
You would have a huge choice of passives masteries/abilities like Path of Exile but there is no “tree”, you can choose whatever you want, the only restriction is that you need the weaker passives to unlock the more powerful ones, Ex. +5% damage with swords then +10%, +15% etc.

[6]
I don’t know if the next idea is technically possible but because you can modify skills in POE, I think that it’s not impossible. Create your own skills! For Example, choose “projectile” then “Ice” element, the game will generate based on your level, damage, cold slowdown debuff, mana cost, radius, projectile number, speed values that then could be tuned to your taste with skill points. Ex. A small ice ball that deals lots of damage and slowdown with a decent mana cost or multiple wide Ice shards for crowd control that are weak and cost much mana? You decide!

[7]
Have no fear in choosing any elements, they only act as debuffs, ice slows, fire burns for a period of time, lightning stuns, wind knockback, enemies cannot resist or be immune to the damage they cause, only to the debuff!

[8]
No more gap between melee and ranged characters! Projectiles instantly hit the enemies in the distance, just like if your where in melee range and if you are a melee character, when you select an enemy in the distance, you automatically teleport to its location instantly! Now whether you want to kill your enemies with a chain whip or by dual wielding shotguns, the choice is up to you!

[9]
Stats in the game are:
Power: increasing physical and magical damage
Speed: increasing attack and movement speed
Endurance: increasing health and damage reduction
Luck: increasing critical and item drop chance

Now for itemization concepts:

[10]
Enemies only drop two types of items, materials and data chips. There are no potions in this game.

Materials are used to craft whatever item you want, whether it be armor, weapons and even maps.

[11]
There are 3 types of items. Standard 2 chip slots (1/1), great 4 chip slots (2/2), mighty 6 chip slots (3/3). As the types of items are better, the rarity of their materials is greater.

[12]
There are two kinds of data chips, affix and suffix ones. You can find a rapid chip (+5% increased attack speed) and a chip of greed (+10% chance of obtaining chips) put them I a standard axe and have a Rapid Axe of Greed. You cannot place the same kind of chip in an item even if it’s the same type, Ex. Painful chip (+5% increased damage) + Destructive chip (+20% increased damage) in a great axe. Affixes and Suffixes are random but have minimal and maximal values, Ex +1-5%. Chips of a higher Affix or Suffix are rarer than their lesser versions. Ex. Destructive chip is rarer than Painful chip.

[13]
When looting, the game takes into consideration what chips you have in your inventory so that if you find the same kind of chip again, its values will always be greater than the one you have, so you never find junk. Ex. Destructive chip (+20-30%), you have one in your inventory that has +23%, if you find another destructive chip it will be from +24-30%.

[14]
In a nutshell, instead of hunting for a really powerful unique, you hunt for hard to find, rare materials and chips to create your own unique items.

[15]
The inventory is unlimited so you won’t have to worry about managing it!

[16]
Materials and chips are directly obtained in your inventory upon slaying an enemy, instead of it dropping on the ground.

[17]
There are no towns or NPCs, you craft everything yourself. It’s that way, not only for convenience but also to had a lonely desolate mood to the game.

[18]
Environments and enemies are random generated of course but they do not respawn, like in Diablo 1, when you die the game is over and you restart to a nearby checkpoint, so there is no coming back to the same boss 4 times to finish it off. Don’t worry though, you can grind and loot infinitely in a chaos realm where you can customize maps and make them respawn, much like Path of Exile eternal laboratory, except you craft them yourself like all other items and you have unlimited basic ones.

Pew! I think that’s it, here are some images I found on the web that manage to convey in general the game:

[19]
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Last edited by Coal48 on Apr 13, 2013, 11:42:53 PM
Project Offset :(

"
iamacyborg wrote:

Well its just an idea, there is no actual project haha
Would love a REAL Rogue-like RPG set up under the rogue rules with good graphics. That would rock. I've always wanted to play a Samurai in an RPG other than Bane/Crusaders.

Could you imagine if they did a remake of Bane of the Cosmic Forge + Crusaders of the Dark Savant for 2012?
"
Coal48 wrote:
"
iamacyborg wrote:

Well its just an idea, there is no actual project haha

Project Offset was the name of a cancelled game from a few years back. Fantasy first-person multiplayer game. Lots of potential.
"
iamacyborg wrote:
Project Offset was the name of a cancelled game from a few years back. Fantasy first-person multiplayer game. Lots of potential.

Oops, sorry about that.. I personally don't like MMOs but it would have been great I am sure, is it me are almost ALL cancelled games always look like they could have been really awesome if they were released?
"
aerows wrote:
Would love a REAL Rogue-like RPG set up under the rogue rules with good graphics. That would rock. I've always wanted to play a Samurai in an RPG other than Bane/Crusaders.

Could you imagine if they did a remake of Bane of the Cosmic Forge + Crusaders of the Dark Savant for 2012?

I am not familiar with any of those games sorry :(
I think I misused the term roguelike, I was just referring to a game with random generated map, enemies and loot.
There is a game called throne of darkness, which is similar to Diablo 2 set in feudal Japan, you may like it.
"
Coal48 wrote:
"
iamacyborg wrote:

Oops, sorry about that.. I personally don't like MMOs but it would have been great I am sure, is it me are almost ALL cancelled games always look like they could have been really awesome if they were released?

Not an MMO, think small-scale deathmatch, CTF, etc.
Personally, I'd love to see a game as huge and complicated as dwarf fortress or other roguelikes, but it wouldn't need 800+ hours of mind numbing tutorials just to leave 1st city and also I'd like some decent graphics on that thing. I mean I'm not a graphics slave, but most roguelikes don't even have a graphics engine and are actually text based. Also, the more random generated it is, the better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info