Unwanted link's in browser malware removal.

Hey all.

Since the last chrome browser update, many people have been infected with an extension in the browser that cannot be removed with usual means.

The extension creates random links with commercial in any text in the browser. This is for most people very irritating. So I will explain how to get rid of it safely. I'm an old school computer geek (39 years old) that like to help out. So here is what you do:

1. Uninstall suspicious programs from Control Panel

Windows 8 users: Press Ctrl+X and select Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Windows Vista/7 users: Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Windows XP users: Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Programs and Features.

Look for unwanted programs (especially ones with a similar name to the unwanted extension) and uninstall them.

2. Remove the unwanted extension from Google Chrome

Click on the Menu icon at the top right of the browser (or the Wrench in outdated versions of Chrome) > Tools > Extensions. Tick the Developer Mode checkbox.

Write down or save the ID of the unwanted extension shown below the extension title.

3. Remove the related registry entries

Press the Windows Key+R and type “regedit” (without quotes).

In the Registry Editor, select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE, then select Policies > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist.

NB: If you cannot find ExtensionInstallForcelist in this place, try selecting HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE, then select Policies > Google > Chrome > ExtensionInstallForcelist.

Remove the registry key which has a Data value the same as the extension's ID which you wrote down or saved above. Right click on the registry key and select Delete. Accept the warning by selecting Yes.

4. Remove the extension’s files

Press the Windows Key+R and type:

Windows Vista/ 7/8 users: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions
Windows XP users: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions

Find the folder with the ID of the extension and delete it.

5. Success!

The extension should now be completely removed.

These changes are caused by misuse of Chrome’s central management settings that are intended to be used to configure instances of Chrome internally within an organisation. Fortunately, Chrome is beginning to identify software that violates Chrome’s standard mechanisms for deploying extensions, flagging such binaries as malware.

This will solve the issue for those that haven't found a solution for it yet.

Cheers.
D.
Last bumped on Sep 2, 2016, 4:21:26 AM
This is a great place for malware and virus removal tools and advice.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit - The Tick
"
magree wrote:
This is a great place for malware and virus removal tools and advice.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

I'm not using any software or programs.

This is 100% safe and no need of commercial software.
I hope you don't mistake my topic for some shark that tries to re-direct people to some useless web page that's filled with crap that f*''k's up your computer with search add-on's and useless browser extensions.

This guide is made completely manually. I would never promote or link another site that has no relation to the current site.

Cheers.
*Puts on tinfoil hat*

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info