Here's how you Maurader

So!

Resolute is out because it takes too many darn points to get to and you can't crit. I've spent a total of 4 points on dex in this build,and it hits fine. it would take 6 to get to resolute.

Blood Magic is out because its too risky in HC. Plus, warlords mark = mana.

This is a 1 hand mace build but could easily be any 1h+shield

You get a good amount of armor, block and HP, plus damage, and even some elemental.

Skills are basically whatever - shield charge, infernal, heavy strike* (preferred) cleave or ground slam +life leech, anger and vitality. and warlords mark.

I am getting ready for it to go open, and I like it. I think I will try this out my first time.
I like this build as well... I am trying to build a PVP oriented Marauder and I think this would work well.. Good HP regen, decent accuracy, maybe get resistances up higher and block chance higher... all around solid build tho

Here would be 111 point version... Basically things I think would make it optimal pvp...

There is only one node in the entire tree that lets your block chance apply to spells... this and resistances would make the usual Marauder weakness (Witch/casters) not such a bad thing anymore... Plus with the removal of armor run speed penalty, and combined with shield charge, I could see this stomping on casters...

PvP 111 Points
Last edited by clinx1337 on Aug 9, 2012, 6:45:55 PM
"
llama wrote:
So!

Looks good. In the templar part of it tho, you chose +20 str instead of +16% armor? Near Body and Soul. Then again, your path puts you right next to the endurance charge and one point away from another group of life nodes.

Also, duelist side, take Water Dancing (+8% ipd with 1h, +20 dex) and drop one of the +30 dex nodes.

I love how you got access to a whole lot of the tree with this build!
"
llama wrote:
So!

Resolute is out because it takes too many darn points to get to and you can't crit.

I stopped reading here.

Put a pen to paper (or excel) regarding DPS change with always hit and no crit, versus (hit - miss - evasion)*crit damage. (oh, and crits can be dodged too). It's not even close.

In addition, everytime you CRIT a monster that would have died anwyay, you are wasting that damage. So it's safe to say, Every Crit, EVER on a white mob is a waste. and that's 80% of your damage.

Honestly, the build looks good, but you HAVE to get RT. Imo, Resolute Technique is easily the best skill in the game, with the possible exception of CI (for shadow).
Last edited by Vandal2k on Aug 10, 2012, 4:27:22 PM
"
Vandal2k wrote:
Put a pen to paper (or excel) regarding DPS change with always hit and no crit, versus (hit - miss - evasion)*crit damage. (oh, and crits can be dodged too). It's not even close.

In addition, everytime you CRIT a monster that would have died anwyay, you are wasting that damage. So it's safe to say, Every Crit, EVER on a white mob is a waste. and that's 80% of your damage.

Honestly, the build looks good, but you HAVE to get RT. Imo, Resolute Technique is easily the best skill in the game, with the possible exception of CI (for shadow).

That is a problem then. If there's a skill that you can't play without as a marauder, then it's a bad skill. Passive skill tree should be build-defining, without mandatory skills, at least that's what I have gathered from dev posts.
I was under the same impression that it is mandatory, however, Here is something I think your not taking into account.

Normal mobs/groups are easy to kill and I have rarely ever died to them. So I prefer not to optimize for normal mob gameplay. What does cause issues are bosses and elite mobs, these are usually not one shot meaning a crit can really aid in killing the monster.

Also, in PvP, crit can really help out. Considering the only classes that capitalize on Dex that would provide problems for Marauders in PVP are going to be Shadow, Ranger, and Duelist.

With that in mind, Rangers and duelists mainly to physical damage which is mitigated by armor and block chance. You can use shield charge to get an auto hit on these and the shadow class. The only real problem could be spell damage from a Shadow. Shadows are melee based characters generally, but dont have huge amounts of armor and rely on mobility and spells. If you have an attack like shield charge, this not only does decent damage, but is a 100% chance to hit and not only aids in your mobility (close the gap) but also can stun targets..

In this build, you can get the 4ish Dex nodes and really helps out with accuracy.. Even if the crit is low, its better than nothing pvp, and also this build should do good damage in PVE...

I dont think RT is required and since most people believe that, they will spec in PvP accordingly. I think the best PvP characters will be the ones who go against the grain a little since every player who comes across a maurader is going to expect a RT build...

I used to be all about RT, but now I dont think I will go that route.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info