Bow Marauder - New tree idea, looking for feedback. [Fixed Link]

Hello fellow players, so I'm thinking about a marauder archer simply because I like the feel of a strong big guy instead of the slim and slender shadow/ranger and to a degree the duelist.

Other than looks I just wish to make the best archer possible with the starting area I have available and this is the passive tree up to 50points I've thought about so far, there's still several juicy nods close enough to select up until 60-65points.

My train of thought for this tree was as follows, please let me know if I'm not making the selections due to the right understanding or simply you think its not worth it/efficient enough.

Iron Grip This is along side Catalyze, what will let me come close to a ranger archer damage, so its a core one IMO

Blood MagicConsidering all the +%life and + Strength nodes I'm getting I think it'll be by far the most efficient node I could grab

Catalize clusterI think this will be one of the key stones for a marauder archer since this will increase my damage with lighting or burning arrow the most.

Disciple and Training cluster It was really good to pass up when I already was there because of Catalyze.

Precision clusterIt's just there and the Dex will be needed for the gems, not sure if I'll need the whole cluster or just the keystone tho.

ElementalistI'm not sure if this will affect elemental weapon damage, but if it does I think its worth the extra few points to get it, but I'm not sure, ideas?

Diamon Skin, Heart of Gladiator, Armor Mastery, Troll's blood I think I wont dish as much damage as a ranger archer so I have to get out as much as I can from the defensive skills easily accessible to me

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEBAJbF5wDU5OYBzjiLB4wTLAqoMR0K_CqvEiGPIxeHlYcYYNlJGpHy2iJCe5cq6vOPLJLz_jGTSfc0qAF5RqoNjls8BoxbqUGxdZ0axHhNAbrNsSBX0TQ919SLxKuiN6h2y9UXz9M_8Hubb0JK8N1IdKHmhDXdR4vN5K_cDvhfsjOThx9-80d3GKtlVdKqBTpWgMkz1ciZvQLnCeoqg17vB4TXHBLdtH8RltUEeqoOCjDRSC0oudZEYYmDkyS3otBq3SNReJy8wxesoUrBtPZV4Q==

Now with the rest of the points I could have from 50-65ish I have several options, what's looking good enough to consider is:

Resolute Technique
Berserking
Armor Mastery
Fending
Totem cluster ( maybe for support stuff like shockwave?)
Golems' Blood
The movement speed cluster to the right
Steel Skin
Fury Bolts
Master Fletcher

...and many more.

So this is it, let me know what you think or experiences with Marauder Archers

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams
Last edited by TTerom on Jul 31, 2012, 12:15:47 PM
Link fixed, sorry about that
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

-Douglas Adams
Just looked through your build... It's very very good from what I can tell. Kind of nails pretty much everything you'd want from a Marauder ranger.
My question (noob one I know.) why would you want to go ranger as a marauder?
"So I've been exiled to this forgotten land of disease? I will show them what respect I deserve!"
www.twitch.tv/MythicalPlatypus
Hey there, thanks for the reply. And why use a marauder as a ranger, well mainly because how it looks, big a tough... just trying to make it work hehe it'll probably be the main char I use once we go into open beta, for now I'm using other chars ( totem-lighting templar, totems are fun!)

-Douglas Adams
Hi there !

I'm mainly playing with a Bow Marauder at the moment :D Yay ! Really Great fun :D

I followed an extremely similar build myself !
Unavailable
(I just took a +30 Int because of some gear I wanted to use Yummy Attack Speed (^_^) I'll refund the point when I change those gloves)

I just think that you need more Dex in order to equip the kick ass Thicket Bows and higher (179 Dex for Thicket Bows).

Other than that, I think you should take way more life passives. You can easily do that with the next levels you gain. I think taking the life passives before the elemental nodes will make your "life" easier :D

This is the tree I used when the full passive respec happened.

Now, my tree looks like :

I'll remove some dex nodes on the right when my gear can help me sustain my Bow more :D

I dont know if I should go towards Master Fletcher or another tempting cluster (Fury Bolts, the Elemental Cluster on the right, ...)
I do loads of damage already and I'm focusing on the Armor passives lately (Body and Soul soon :D)

So much tempting choices :D
<3 PoE !

Have fun with your Bow Marauder and see you in game !
Last edited by RoedeOurm on Aug 2, 2012, 1:27:29 PM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Hello there, thanks for the answer :D

Yes I havent got much time to play this week but this my plan up until level 30, I too plan on removing the Dex nodes at some point, but right now I do see the issues with low dex, so I'm using a +30 dex ammy just for that, and will need items with +dex along the way.

About your recomendation of the +life nodes, thanks, I purposedly left the build at around 50 so I could play and see where I would need to go from there, and yes as you said there TONS of temptin paths to go, damage, armor, life, hell movement speed seems really really good to me atm but I'm not sure yet hehe.

By the way, I'm still low but im playing around with most of the bow skills, of course to maximize damage with this build I'll have to use Burning arrow, Lightning arrow or Explosive Arrow. One thing that I'm not sure is, if poison coutns as elemental... assuming it dosnt but hey better ask.

-Douglas Adams
Don't forget Elemental Hit and Frenzy :D

I use Frenzy + LMP + LifeGainOnHit + IncreaseCriticalStrike in order to gain those frenzy charges and clear some packs of mobs :D

I use Lightning arrow (with Life Leech, Added Elemental Damage, Faster Projectiles) to really damage the groups,
and then Elemental Hit (with Added Elemental Damage, Life on Hit and Knockback) for single target high dps :D
The Elemental Passives really shine here (^_^)

(I soo need 4/5 link gear :P I'm also working on optimizing the support gems atm !)

Oh, I also use the Projectile Weakness Curse + Added Area of Effect (and maybe Added duration, if I get the good slots (^_^) )

I don't think poison counts as Elemental. There are some passives near the center that can help Poison Arrow (the Skill Duration ones I think).
Wow, I never considered elemental hit for some reason and its IDEAL for the build haha, that said, the kockback looks really good for it as well, definetly stealing that from you :D

Still have to grab a frenzy, but I was planning on using BloodRage for frenzy charges, but Frenze + LMP may be faster, I'll try both.

And yes Lighthning arrow will be my main attack I reckon :D

Bummer about poison arrow, I'm using it to level up atm and like the mechanic of it :D

Again thanks for the input mate :D

-Douglas Adams
would it be worth going for ele equilibrium if you use elemental hit? its only 8 points away from where you went to templar area.

also could go down and get beserking 5 points down from blood magic

Elem Equilibrium, that’s an interesting idea, for single target damage with elemental hit it sounds really good.

But let’s consider the implications for AoE, in this case it would be the standard Lightning arrow altering with what, I can think of many options, from simple Explosive or burning arrow using multiple projectiles or split arrow using convert to fire/cold, mhmm this could work indeed, but I need a better understanding of Elemental Equilibrium mechanics.

Let’s say I’m using one of the cold damage auras, what happens in that case when I alternate from Lightning arrow + cold dmg from aura to Burning arrow + cold dmg from aura, would it trigger the Elem Equilibrium?

And while thinking about this, does Elemental Hit cycles through the damage types, say lighting then fire then cold then lighting then fire then cold and so on? Or is it random where you could get 10 straight shots of fire?

And well, there’s always the straight up simple +IAS from berserk :)

-Douglas Adams

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info