"Don't use Str-Int Armor"

Do people agree with this? It was advice given to me in game by somebody else, but I was wondering how accurate it is.
The most common complaint I've heard about hybrids is that they require 2 mods to increase their primary stats instead of just 1.

+50% armor on a str armor would require +50% armor +50% ES to be similar... the probability of getting that is MUCH lower.

I'm unsure if this situation has been handled, or will be in the future, but splitting benefits across multiple stats has always been argued that it makes those classes underpowered as compared to the single stat classes.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
my question would be: what makes it str/int armor piece?

is it the requirements? because they are generally low until you gem it up. (and why does the requirements matter anyway, if you meet them)

is it the sockets? because blue/red combos are awesome for Templar.

is it because it gives you +str and/or +int bonuses as affixes? b/c those are wonderful too for any class (provided you don't upgrade a gem from a non-base stat then try to swap the item and realize you can't use the gem anymore lol).

tl:dr; think it depends on your class and build.

*edit* -- oh, it's because it has +Armour and +Energy Sheild. doh!
Last edited by pilnomi on Jul 30, 2012, 1:22:38 PM
"
zeto wrote:
I'm unsure if this situation has been handled, or will be in the future, but splitting benefits across multiple stats has always been argued that it makes those classes underpowered as compared to the single stat classes.

I was thinking this for a while too, then I thought -- wait.. every class has mana though right? So even if you're a marauder you're going to have to spend points in INT or loose your capacity to spam abilities. So you'll be spending in +STR mainly with occasional points in +INT. the only classes that seem at a real disadvantage is STR/DEX because you have 3 stats to pump, cause you STILL have mana.
This is something the min/max players suggest. Using armor and energy shield together can be considered less optimal than using either of them alone in an appropriately-focused build. As zeto said, it's easier to get +armor on pure str gear than it is to get +armor/+es on a str/int piece. You're likely to roll +armor or +es, but less likely to get the hybrid stat.

You can play just fine with str/int armor in a true hybrid setup. The game won't spank you for choosing to do so. A lot of players don't prefer it and therefore suggest against it.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 30, 2012, 12:49:40 PM
That's only true if you ignore blood magic in combination with lifesteal, or somebody who uses mana-leech on his skills/attacks. Or for characters who go pure autoattack and use their mana pool to reserve +DPS auras.

Furthermore STR/INT armor is great. To say that you shouldn't use it is silly. For some builds, STR/INT armor is a horrible decision, but this game is about coming up with your own way to beat the game. And without sufficient mathematical evidence to support the idea that STR/INT hybrid builds suck, using STR/INT is fair game.

Strength + Int is great because you can use Iron Will to improve spell damage, as well as increase your lifepool, as well as use strength-based support gems like reduced mana cost or increased duration.

Should you as a str-int hybrid use pure int or pure str armor? That question is a little more hazy, but should be one you make based on your passive choices. If you have the +armor/+ES nodes, then STR/INT armor makes sense. If you're just stacking +ES nodes, then focus on int armor.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
"
anubite wrote:
That's only true if you ignore blood magic in combination with lifesteal, or somebody who uses mana-leech on his skills/attacks. Or for characters who go pure autoattack and use their mana pool to reserve +DPS auras.

Furthermore STR/INT armor is great. To say that you shouldn't use it is silly. For some builds, STR/INT armor is a horrible decision, but this game is about coming up with your own way to beat the game. And without sufficient mathematical evidence to support the idea that STR/INT hybrid builds suck, using STR/INT is fair game.

Strength + Int is great because you can use Iron Will to improve spell damage, as well as increase your lifepool, as well as use strength-based support gems like reduced mana cost or increased duration.

Should you as a str-int hybrid use pure int or pure str armor? That question is a little more hazy, but should be one you make based on your passive choices. If you have the +armor/+ES nodes, then STR/INT armor makes sense. If you're just stacking +ES nodes, then focus on int armor.

This. If i may add - the is also some quite nice synergy between armor and ES -> firstly the armor aalso reduces damage done to the ES and second the ES give you 50% chance to avoid stun.
So e.g. focusing on life, while taking the nodes near the templar start pos for armor (they give both ES and armor) you end up with a lot of life, quite some ES in the end (especially if you take some int nodes as well - which you want because of your gear -> also some skills which are great for more vanilla Tempar builds are extreamly mana heavy). And you have some damage reduction (less than pure armor user of course) for both that ES and that life.
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
man use whatever armor you want bro

bro
When I heard about cutthroat league I had a vision of a place, and in that place I saw a man, and in that man I saw my sword, and in my inventory I saw his loot
Well I think both sides would be happy if they added a hybrid stat booster, right?

Like, a stat that give +armor and +ES or +ES and +evasion.

Why doesn't GGG do something about it then?
Due to the synergy between armor and es, I personally find this hybrid set to be very decent. I'm currently running a ranger in merciless, while my weapon is very nice, I'm having no survivability issues with str-int based equips.

In fact, I would go so far as to say its working better than some other setups I've attempted.
IGN: Rinoa_Heartly

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info