Upgrading Base Item (including Uniques) to End Game Version

I wonder if GGG might consider giving players a recipe that allows upgrading (and perhaps downgrading) the base item type.

In Diablo 2 you could do this, for example, upgrading a Crystal Sword into a Dimensional Blade (Nightmare) into a Phase Blade (Hell).

In Path of Exile, this would mean, for example, upgrading a Copper Sword into a Variscite Blade (Cruel) into a Gemstone Sword (Merciless).

In terms of item properties, they would change to the appropriate equivalents of the new Base Item and its respective Item Level.

This would be specially interesting due to the uniqueness of some... uniques.
Example
Tipua Kaikohuru (Whalebone Rapier) is a unique thrusting one-handed Sword that occupies both hands.
It is the kind of weapon that one might make a build around if there was an end game version of it.

So it'd be cool if you could upgrade it from Whalebone Rapier to Wyrmbone Rapier (Cruel) to Dragonbone Rapier (Merciless).

Problems with my Idea
Certain items are of a base type that has no equivalent in Cruel or Merciless, like Redbeak, a Rusted Sword.

This would call for a couple possible sollutions:
a) Create a base item equivalent for the higher difficulties
b) Upgrade it to a different base Item (like Variscite Blade/Gemstone Sword)

I think the following is the best sollution
c) Make the suggested recipe upgrade/downgrade items 1 by 1 up/down the list.
So upgrading a Redbeak would go like this:
Rusted Sword -> Copper Sword -> Sabre -> Broad Sword -> War Sword -> Ancient Sword -> Elegant Sword -> Dusk Blade -> Variscite Blade (Cruel version of Copper Sword) -> and so forth.

How would it be done?
There are a few ways to do this:
  • a) Introduce a new currency
  • b) Use existing currencies, but only magic, rare and unique items can be upgraded, and you must sacrifice an item of the next base item type together with the necessary currencies.
    For rare upgrades the item would need to be rare and for magic upgrades it would need to be magic. For unique upgrades it would need to be rare and perhaps have a few specific characteristics like number of links/slots etc.
    Example
    To upgrade a Rusted Sword to Copper Sword, you would need a magic, rare or unique Rusted Sword (like Redbeak), and a Copper Sword of the correct rarity and with the necessary characteristics, plus the adequate amount of the needed Currencies.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Mar 29, 2015, 11:01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
i always wanted a way to upgrade base items, it will make crafting at low/mid tiers viable, right now is quite pointless to use 300 crafting orbs in an item when in a few lvs one will have acces to stronger base items.

as for being able to upgrade uniques well i think i have to disagree on that one or at least cap it, tipua example is borderline but there are other uniques that would be quite broken.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

That is a non-issue because if all uniques could be upgraded, then obviously all uniques would be balanced towards end-game use.

And to be honest, think about it, isn't it kind of unfair a Diamond Supporter contributed with a low level item, while others contribute with end game items?

How lame is that?
At least with my idea, every diamond supporter will know that his contribution is everlasting.
Last edited by Nurvus on Jun 8, 2013, 11:13:12 PM
As a Diablo II veteran, I love this idea.
Of course, some problems would need to be considered, but the idea is here.

Let's face the truth, today, the vast majority of uniques is vendor-food or chance-recipe material.

Something HAS to be done to improve the uniques and make them viable for end-game.

Some items especially uniques arent meant to be used in "endgame" so this would require many uniques to have a watered down endgame version and a normal low lvl version.
Even if some uniques are left out, at least the uniques designed by Diamond Supporters should have upgradeable versions for end game, even if tweaked.

I think modifying those Uniques to adjust to end-game balance, or change their early values a little to make sure they scale well into end-game, is preferrable to having a lot of fun items that just don't exist in end game.

I don't mean OP items. I mean fun/flavourful.

I have to admit I prefer upgrading an item than replacing it.
Last edited by Nurvus on Mar 28, 2015, 8:05:41 PM
"
Nurvus wrote:
Even if some uniques are left out, at least the uniques designed by Diamond Supporters should have upgradeable versions for end game, even if tweaked.

I think modifying those Uniques to adjust to end-game balance, or change their early values a little to make sure they scale well into end-game, is preferrable to having a lot of fun items that just don't exist in end game.

I don't mean OP items. I mean fun/flavourful.

I have to admit I prefer upgrading an item than replacing it.

Can we upgrade Solaris Loracia into Shaveronnes Wrappings?

Gotta counteract this RMT price fixing SOMEHOW!
"If you’re incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. […] the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is." ~David Dunning
Last edited by TikoXi on Mar 28, 2015, 11:25:22 PM
"
TikoXi wrote:
Can we upgrade Solaris Loracia into Shaveronnes Wrappings?

Gotta counteract this RMT price fixing SOMEHOW!

What part of BASE ITEM did you fail to understand?
You don't change the Unique name.
You don't change the kind of properties the Unique has.

You change the BASE ITEM - ever seen a White item? That's a Base item.

You upgrade Solaris Lorica's from a Copper Plate into a War Plate, then from a War Plate into a Full Plate, then into a Arena Plate, and so on.

You upgrade Shavronne's Wrappings' from an Occultist's Vestment into a Widowsilk Robe, and then into a Vaal Regalia.

However, for spell damage builds that would be stupid because you'll lose the (3 to 10)% increased Spell Damage that Occultist's Vestment gives.
Last edited by Nurvus on Mar 29, 2015, 10:55:43 AM
"
Nurvus wrote:

You upgrade Solaris Lorica's from a Copper Plate into a War Plate, then from a War Plate into a Full Plate, then into a Arena Plate, and so on.

thats good for uniques like wideswing or the harvest. in the other hand uniques like pillar of the caged god or last resort, having a higher base would be quite broken.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Last edited by caboom on Mar 30, 2015, 10:32:32 AM
"
caboom wrote:
"
Nurvus wrote:

thats good for uniques like wideswing or the harvest. in the other hand uniques like pillar of the caged god or last resort, having a higher base would be quite broken.

Unless as I suggested the properties adjust as you improve the base.
Last edited by Nurvus on Mar 30, 2015, 9:59:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info