Why did we make armor reduce move speed?

"
Xapti wrote:

2. Why do strength-int armor have high movement penalty when str-dex doesn't? it's stupid. Str-int armor is already the worst stuff in the game if that's ignored, it doesn't need to be any worse! This isn't dungeons and dragons role playing going on, it's a game where gameplay balance is paramount.

For me its pretty much self-explanatory, as its name implies: "str-dex" wouldn't have any slow penalty if anything it should be the lightest type however, since dex means agility. Agile characters are supposed to be fast and sharp, so i don't see any logic fault in this mentality.

Additionally, if str-int armours would not have any slow penalty as much as pure str armours get, spellcasters would predominate close quarter builds on every possible way unless balanced, in PvP.

And i don't find the movement penalty as severe enough yet.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
"
Xapti wrote:
Just because 1 or two skills can counter the problem doesn't solve the overall issue unless everyone running the same thing is appealing.

Do note that the current skill design philosophy hates the concept of a character that spams one skill forever. You're encouraged (sometimes under duress) to use skills in a support role.

No one is forced to use frost wall, phase run, or whirling blades (for movement), but it's almost always the case that adding that to a character that already works just makes them better.
I even would suggest to furthermore increase the slowdown of pure armor so that movement nodes finally become somewhat important for a fighter. Because as for now, I still see absolutely no reason why I should pick a speed node over a health or a normal physical increase dmg node.

And if you have a problem with that OP, you still can use Phase Run or Shield Strike as a skill if you feel to slow.
My little tribute to Diablo 1 aka why Diablo 3 is the worst part of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2ejhudUlU

ig: Witchfire_The_Unholy
I like these penalties. Just think of it as if it was a bonus to movespeed if a penalty is too discouraging term. Naked person or one in clothes has best bonus, one in leather has some medium bonus and one in steel has none.

Also if you look at the gameplay, armor user usually has his hp going down slowly or in a predictable constant way (and the have most hp out of all armor users), there is not much need of moving out, evasion user might get some nasty spike and may need to move away asap, ES user need to go out every now and then to recharge the shield if not stay away from the combat for the whole time.

And if you don't accept this design, build a character with Armor master passive skill or take celerity passive skill which will negate those 'penalties'. Not to mention movespeed boots.
✠ ✠

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info