9 Months Later... Reminder: Water Death Sounds & Slushing Water Sounds When Walking/Running in Water

From the date of this post, I said I was going to bump this 6-7 months later (it's been 9,) and I am.

Updated 3/29/2014: Some suggestions here were removed due to being implemented.

Plunging death sounds in water when enemies and players die:

This should be fun recording for the Audio to get these sounds.

Just think . . . The whole GGG Team can go to the beach and splash around!

Alright, joking aside, these sounds would be awesome if included.

Slushing water sounds when players walk in or run through water:

Add in various water sounds when Players are slushing their feet around in water when running or walking around.

The more closer to shore players are, the fainter the sounds would be. The further they are into the water (deeper water,) the heavier they would be.

Thank You for reviewing GGG.
HeavyMetalGear
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Mar 29, 2014, 6:14:02 PM
Dripping Sounds Off Character During Very Beginning When Getting Up:

There is some audio here, its pretty subtle, Im waiting on some vfx from Russell before making more noticeable audio.

Slushing Water Sounds When Players Walk In Water:

This is on the list but its quite a bit more complex than most people realise. It will eventually be added in but requires a large amount of programmer time. (It will also allow us to do other things like material appropriate footstep sounds and footprint decals.)
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Dripping Sounds Off Character During Very Beginning When Getting Up:

There is some audio here, its pretty subtle, Im waiting on some vfx from Russell before making more noticeable audio.

Slushing Water Sounds When Players Walk In Water:

This is on the list but its quite a bit more complex than most people realise. It will eventually be added in but requires a large amount of programmer time. (It will also allow us to do other things like material appropriate footstep sounds and footprint decals.)

I Thank You for reviewing this.

So the already-existing 'Dripping Water' sound will just be replaced with a more amplified / clearer to hear sound. Awesome.

As far Players walking through water goes, isn't there a way within PoE's coding for already-existing footstep sounds to add in code within that code to do a 'Pathing Check' that if Players are in water play the slushing water sounds, and when the game recognizes Players are on drier grounds, stop the slushing water sounds?

I know it's a little easier said than done but I'm glad you, and PoE's Coders are taking this into consideration to implement it in the future.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jun 7, 2013, 5:01:06 PM
bump
(me)
"
bump

There's no point in bumping if it is still on the first page and even then you added nothing of value to the thread with your latest post.

Edited for clarity.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Jun 17, 2013, 2:07:45 AM
"
"
bump

There's no point in bumping if it is still on the first page and even then you added nothing of value to the thread.

Except it wasn't on the front page from my clear recollection . . .

And it's of no value to you because you're not the person I replied to, the Audio Guy was. What I said is a bit of 'code' talk in the second-half that he can look over and go from there.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jun 16, 2013, 4:40:48 AM
"
As far Players walking through water goes, isn't there a way within PoE's coding for already-existing footstep sounds to add in code within that code to do a 'Pathing Check' that if Players are in water play the slushing water sounds, and when the game recognizes Players are on drier grounds, stop the slushing water sounds?

Currently, not possible. The pathing is a separate system that involves character navigation, it doesn't differentiate between ground types or separate tiles.

Like I said in my previous post we will eventually add something in, but its implementing a whole new system that deals with identifying ground types. which is going to take a bit of programmer time to complete and being a low priority issue.... well it will be a while before we see this in game!

also just for the record at the moment our "already-existing footstep sounds" are just a single sound bank attached to the animation of characters and monsters.
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
"

Currently, not possible. The pathing is a separate system that involves character navigation, it doesn't differentiate between ground types or separate tiles.

Like I said in my previous post we will eventually add something in, but its implementing a whole new system that deals with identifying ground types. which is going to take a bit of programmer time to complete and being a low priority issue.... well it will be a while before we see this in game!

also just for the record at the moment our "already-existing footstep sounds" are just a single sound bank attached to the animation of characters and monsters.

Thank for this information. It may be a while before implemented, but a while is better than never.

I'll see what happens in 6 months to a year from now, and if nothing happens by then (maybe you'll forget,) I'll do a bump with this post.

You guys are doing a great job, embracing all criticism, etc.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jun 16, 2013, 8:00:34 PM
bump
(me)
bump
(me)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info