Textures - greyed out option

same problem here.
win7/ 32 bit
4gb
hd6870
e8400

I'd like to control the texture quality myself again. I will not let me dictate which texture quality I can use.
please fixed. thx

i remind thats i can use highquality texture in open beta.
Dark the other side is very dark. Shut up Yoda and eat your toast.
"
Armaliona wrote:
same problem here.
win7/ 32 bit
4gb
hd6870
e8400

I'd like to control the texture quality myself again. I will not let me dictate which texture quality I can use.
please fixed. thx

i remind thats i can use highquality texture in open beta.

It is working as intended, you want higher textures you'll need to go with a 64 bit OS, you were able to use high textures until they implemented this fix for 32 bit OS's and them running out of ram.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
running out of mem. only if the AF filtering is set to 16. also functioned very well in the open beta.
But in the final I can not use high textures nor my adigy 2zs creative sound card ( this only works in win98 compatibility mode ). if I want higher textures I'll buy a graphics card but not a 64 bit os
I do not let me dictate which os I have to use. btw. the exe uses already more than 2gb.

sry but to say the least that's bullshit. ;)
Last edited by Armaliona on Nov 12, 2013, 10:44:01 AM
"
Armaliona wrote:
running out of mem. only if the AF filtering is set to 16. also functioned very well in the open beta.
But in the final I can not use high textures nor my adigy 2zs creative sound card ( this only works in win98 compatibility mode ). if I want higher textures I'll buy a graphics card but not a 64 bit os
I do not let me dictate which os I have to use. btw. the exe uses already more than 2gb.

sry but to say the least that's bullshit. ;)

The High Textures has little to do with the video card and more with the amount of RAM that the Textures take up to keep in memory and not have problems.

High Textures actually contains VERY high resolution images loaded at full quality. These take up a LOT of RAM due to the size of the textures.

Think of it like a memory stick on a digital camera. If you set your camera to take the HIGHEST quality pictures it can at the finest detail, etc then each picture you take will use up a dozen megabytes or so of space (or more). Now lets say the memory stick you have only has 50MB of space. After a few pictures, it's all used up and you cannot store any more pictures on that stick.

So at that point, you have 2 options right? You can either make the quality worse and store more pictures, or you can upgrade the amount of SPACE you have by using a larger memory stick.

In the case of 32-bit vs 64-bit, the problem is that there is a CAP on the amount of available memory on 32-bit. It's like saying that your camera doesn't support a memory stick greater than 50MB. So you eliminate the second option completely. That leaves the only option as making the quality of the pictures worse.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know and I'll attempt to explain it better.. But the end result is that 32-bit OSs cannot support more than 4GB of RAM, and the High Quality textures take up too much RAM for most people on 32-bit systems due to this memory constraint.
i understand what you mean.

An example, I am a member of a racing league. in the racing-game-sim (rfactor) we go a certain modification (Conversion of NSF-shift). the textures of the cars have partly a resolution of 4096/4096, the field is most starter / 20 between 17 cars. come to the textures of the track. the cars / tracks are graphically very demanding (reflections from the paint, sun shining, etc.) imagine runs perfectly with this load before the game.
there have the same settings as in this game (1280/1024, 4AA, 16AF, shadow on full texture quality on full, in short, everything on full)
imagine. ago in win7 / 32 bit with 4gb, 6870 1gb gddr5 direct cu, E8400

and that should not go with PoE? I can imagine very difficult. the graphics in PoE is not much more demanding like rFactor.

you can understand what I mean?

mfg Armaliona

ps. sry for bad english, it´s google translate.
Last edited by Armaliona on Nov 12, 2013, 5:41:28 PM
There is a large difference between "graphically demanding" and "texture quality". They're not the same thing.

Things that commonly demand a lot in graphics is blending, anti-aliasing, texture filtering, buffering, shaders, etc. Those things require the GPU to "process" stuff. They require a lot of transformations and other things. In the case of shaders, they're actually mini-programs that are run directly on the GPU. Those things can be graphically demanding. If you don't have an acceptable video card, those don't perform as well. If you have a great video card, they perform very well.

Converse to that is "Texture Quality". A Texture is really nothing more than a picture that is wrapped over a wire frame. There is no "processing" for that texture other than the "wrapping" of it. It is what it is (a picture). The higher quality and better detail, the larger the texture image is in memory. Textures themselves aren't really graphically demanding.

It's a GPU computation/power issue VS a "storage" issue.
hi Drakier

you're right, I see with thee one can discussing reasonable.
I still hope that you can understand my position.
Therefore I am of the opinion that the decision should lie with the player.
at least there should be the possibility selectable.
I hope that the developers can come up with something for it.

mfg Armaliona
"
Armaliona wrote:
hi Drakier

you're right, I see with thee one can discussing reasonable.
I still hope that you can understand my position.
Therefore I am of the opinion that the decision should lie with the player.
at least there should be the possibility selectable.
I hope that the developers can come up with something for it.

mfg Armaliona

If you REALLY want to try High Quality textures, then edit your production_Config.ini file and set the texture_quality line to 0. That will force it to high textures.

Don't be surprised if you crash a lot though running out of RAM.
texture_quality=0 doesn´t work.
production_Config.ini file is not being read from the game. any idea?

my game path: U:\Users\my name\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Path of Exile
Last edited by Armaliona on Nov 13, 2013, 2:11:35 PM
Is it on a Roaming Profile or Network Share?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info