No mouse-pointer when using custom DPI in Windows.

I have a 1080p 50" plasma for a PC monitor... To make Windows 7 easier to see, I have adjusted its' Display Settings -> "Set Custom Text Size (DPI)" to %150.

Path of Exile has no mouse-pointer when Windows is set to a custom DPI (i.e. it's not at the default %100).

...Blizzard's StarCraft II also has this problem, and I don't play StarCraft because every time I want to play it, I have to log out of Windows so it can change the DPI -- which really becomes a hassle, and an annoying step to perform.

No other games have this "invisible cursor issue." I just wanted you guys to know because I won't be playing this game long term if I always have to change my Window's DPI back to default just to play PoE.

I posted this topic, because the game is still in development, and there's a hope that you'd fix this. I still can't believe a massive company like Blizzard let this glitch get though StarCraft II: how far they've slipped...
Last edited by AcidSnow on Jul 26, 2012, 1:55:29 PM
Last bumped on May 1, 2016, 4:18:00 PM
This is definitely on our list to fix!
Balance & Design
Hi again Rory, I'm still interested in playing Path of Exile, but I still have no mouse cursor because I'm not using the default Zoom for Windows 7. I still have to reset my DPI back to %100 before loading the game (which requires me to log out of Windows). I don't play games that force me to do this, because it's inconvenient; but I like your game, and do want to play it!
"
AcidSnow wrote:
Hi again Rory, I'm still interested in playing Path of Exile, but I still have no mouse cursor because I'm not using the default Zoom for Windows 7. I still have to reset my DPI back to %100 before loading the game (which requires me to log out of Windows). I don't play games that force me to do this, because it's inconvenient; but I like your game, and do want to play it!

We've figured out that we're just missing a certain resolution for our mouse cursor. We'll get this fixed up!
Balance & Design
"
AcidSnow wrote:

Path of Exile has no mouse-pointer when Windows is set to a custom DPI (i.e. it's not at the default %100).

...Blizzard's StarCraft II also has this problem, and I don't play StarCraft because every time I want to play it, I have to log out of Windows so it can change the DPI -- which really becomes a hassle, and an annoying step to perform.
I don't get that problem in PoE or Starcraft II, and never have.

What operating system are you using?
Are you using the classic/legacy DPI change system (forgot the name... "windows XP emulation" or something?)?

my DPI is only maybe 125%, but I don't see why that little difference would matter.

"
AcidSnow wrote:
I have a 1080p 50" plasma for a PC monitor... To make Windows 7 easier to see, I have adjusted its' Display Settings -> "Set Custom Text Size (DPI)" to %150.
technically which such a low DPI monitor, you'd want to set your DPI much much lower, not higher.
I'm using a 22" monitor at 1600x1200 resolution and I need about 125% (or more — can't remember) to express real DPI.

Anyway, that said, the DPI in windows is obviously more about text size now, and Windows' description of it has even changed to such.

"
Rory wrote:
We've figured out that we're just missing a certain resolution for our mouse cursor. We'll get this fixed up!
You're missing the 1080p cursor? I rather doubt that :P
Maybe I'm slightly uninformed, but I'm quite sure the DPI scaling shouldn't/doesn't change resolution in any way unless your game specifically adds mechanics to scale most/all 2D objects in the game based on DPI (which personally sounds like a great/awesome feature but have never heard of it being done)
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Sep 11, 2012, 8:44:36 PM
I don't think this would be the culprit, but I should note that in addition to using a higher Windows 7 DPI, I'm also using a different mouse scheme: "Black (extra large) (system scheme)". ...I had a difficult time locating the small default mouse pointer at 1920*1080.
I'm using extra large cursor as well [white]. I was using regular cursor, but before Path of Exile had a custom cursor it used the default cursor, and it was very hard to see at high resolution.
When the game finally added a custom cursor I just stuck with it.

On that note, I'm actually still dissatisfied with the current cursor in PoE because it's the same colors as the environment, so particularly when the camera is scrolling and mouse is moving —and especially when there's lots of action happening on-screen— it can sometimes very difficult to spot where the mouse is. I think the ability for players to import their own cursors would be nice (whether DDS, bmp, cur, or whatever).
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Last edited by Xapti on Sep 12, 2012, 7:17:11 PM
We have identified that the cursor doesn't appear in fullscreen mode - Perhaps one of you is using windowed, and one is using fullscreen?
Balance & Design
Fullscreen 1600x1200 at 125% size (120 DPI).
I've also ran the game in other resolutions including windowed without issue.

I'm on Windows 7 x64.
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Last edited by Xapti on Sep 12, 2012, 10:34:23 PM
"
Rory wrote:
We have identified that the cursor doesn't appear in fullscreen mode - Perhaps one of you is using windowed, and one is using fullscreen?
I'm on Win 7 x64, and running Full-Screen. Everything's legit and up to date. Using 2 (Crossfire'd) Radeon 5870s.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info