Experience Efficiency Chart: All Zones, All Levels, Color Coded

Really late reply.

@Anca bold colors tend to pop and stand out better thus.. better readability.

@Mr_Bill.. if your talking about the map itself it doesn't need to be changed as the graph doesn't show the individual maps just MAPS -> ##. So you just have to look at level that the map would fall in; that being 66-77. Also if you could list the patch it was changed at I'd be happy to double check the change before I actually change the doc.

@Zemel I tried to get the google doc to have green being good and red bad but in google docs for the coloring I had to find a user script that someone else wrote to color the cells; as unlike excel the coloring of cells depending on the value in it isn't native to google docs. However the picture is green = good and red = bad as it was taken from the original excel doc that I made the graph in.

Thanks to the others that replied and gave their appreciation towards the work on the graph.

If a zone's level changes and I don't realize it, as is likely, feel free to post that it was changed though I would appreciate if you also gave what patch it was changed in or the wiki page if it was changed as I will check before I change it on the doc.
Holly hard work, Batman!

That's truly and literally beautiful, all color coded and in 2 different versions for all tastes. Truly epic effort, Ebonmourn... Thank you and congratulations! I will definitely use it in the future!

Cheers! :)

PS: One quick and slightly offtopic question.. Does anyone know if party xp penalty works roughly in the same formula? (ie: I start getting small penalties if someone in my party is 4~5 lvls above mine and it scales exponentially per lvl difference)
Oblivion Guild: http://tinyurl.com/OblivionGuildPoe

Current IGNs: Biroso and Absimiliards
If I understand this chart correctly, it's claiming that in Merciless, matching your character level to the zone level will produce an experience penalty of over 50%? That sounds very wrong...
Last edited by RogueMage on Oct 15, 2013, 10:07:48 PM
nice work man :)
My Build http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/496321
Gear shops thread: 486133 and 460916
Jewelry shop thread: 512124
IGN: Elyf
"
RogueMage wrote:
If I understand this chart correctly, it's claiming that in Merciless, matching your character level to the zone level will produce an experience penalty of over 50%? That sounds very wrong...

You reading it wrong.
IGN QTCRZ
Update: added a map row for the upcoming lvl 78 maps (on the doc) and await to see what the change to the experience formula is so I can change the chart/graph. The zone names will be updated when the patch is finally out (zlvl included if those change). Same with the xp formula being updated when the details of the change is published or discovered and I find that out.

@Biroso: With the party xp shares my knowledge of that is mainly what the PoE Wiki has about it and that itself isn't that clear on some points. It basically states some formula's regarding player shares and example of a lvl 10 player and a lvl 30 player.

To put simply, before factoring in the bonus xp from the party and zone efficiency, the xp is distributed on the weight of the players level so the lvl 30 guy gets more of the share then the lvl 10 guy with the difference in shares getting bigger the bigger the difference in their levels.

If that growth is exponential I'd have to spend some time graphing out the growths based on two members level difference and their relative shares but then you'd have to consider the other party members and how that effects the difference growth.. so that's 6 players total including you.

To take it further you could even judge total efficiency of the party with the level difference of the players apart from each other against the xp bonus being in a party grants.

The growth is likely to be something exponential with it growing rapidly the further the two players levels grow apart.

@RogueMage: Your thinking that the %'s that it shows are penalties. The chart is called 'ExpEfficiency per Zone per lvl' the % is the efficiency of the zone to your clvl. So if your level 63 in Merc Docks(63) your efficiency is 100%; it is also 100% in a zone of lvl 63 from levels 57-70.

Now this isn't factoring in clear speed, mob density, or magic/rare/unique mobs; all this is this telling you is how much of the mobs experience are you getting when you kill it in that zone.. assuming the mob is the same lvl as the zone (so white mobs).

PS: If anyone finds out the xp changes at any time after/before the patch and I have yet to post an update saying I changed the xp formula or w/e feel free to post the formula or where it can be found.
Is the amount of experience per monster a known formula/value?

So that one could determine if it's better to kill 40 monsters at 100% in 2 minutes, vs. an equivalent of lower-level monsters at 50% in less time, for example.
@mythosjanai: I looked briefly if the monster xp values where listed anywhere.. only found a year old thread about it while the game was in alpha(?) and it never got updated past that fist post.

He used Experience = 1.02*Mob_Level^2.2 for the exp of that mob level but that data/formula is old and from alpha and I believe has since changed. And the poewiki doesn't have anything I could find in 10mins, admittedly a short amount of time searching, of looking.

(Note all xp vales gathered would have to be gathered when character was gaining 100% of the xp)
The first issue to look at is if mobs are weighted differently in the same zones. Example being a little crab/spider vs a big golem/bear or even little crab vs normal human/skeleton. If yes, you could then try to find a pattern in the increased/decreased amount by looking at different zones for more instances with varying values.

During this you'd also grab the 'normal' xp value from each zone while at 100% eff. Taking those values you could again try to find a pattern behind it.

Assuming the value is based off the monster level and not monster type you could then apply that formula to find the monster xp multiplier for each zone and then using another formula find the efficient time values for comparable amounts of xp at different zone efficiencies.

Also if the larger / smaller mobs had differing values from the norm and it had a pattern relevent to the zone level all it would do is shift the monsters up or down on the above scale.

TL/DR: No I don't think the amount of exp per monster is a known formula/value at the moment for the current state of PoE.
Update: The Chart is updated for the known 1.0.0 patch info and when the names of the new zones and their levels are posted somewhere by someone it will be added to the chart as well.

If I missed something from the patch notes feel free to let me know.
"
Ebonmourn wrote:

@RogueMage: Your thinking that the %'s that it shows are penalties. The chart is called 'ExpEfficiency per Zone per lvl' the % is the efficiency of the zone to your clvl. So if your level 63 in Merc Docks(63) your efficiency is 100%; it is also 100% in a zone of lvl 63 from levels 57-70.

Actually, I was reading the chart the way you describe, as leveling efficiency with character level on the horizontal axis and zone level on the vertical.

So for example, if my character is level-58, and I take on the Weaver in its level-58 Weaver's Chamber, I only get 54% of the XP I'd get at clvl 62?

If that's the case, thank you for showing how "overleveling" your character is actually the most effective way to play the game!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info