critism ! (long)

Hi there,

first i have to state that english isnt my native language, so please dont be so hard about my grammar or spelling.

I just finished my first playthrough on normal difficulty and i´m really disappointed about POE.

There are so many really strange design decisions i cant ignore to play another round on next difficulty. Why ?

Here is why?

Inventory/items

I´m constantly punished for collecting items. The inventory is so small i need to visit the camp every 5-10 min even if i only collect blue or better items. Wouldnt be a problem if i dont had to use a limited item to get back to town. All these items are worth something though i cant afford to sell them. I mean wtf?

As i finally arrive at the merchant i have to open a !!dialog menue!! to choose "sell". There is actually a seperate "buy" option!? To sell sth. i cant just click and its gone. No, drag all my stuff to the specific window one by one or shift-click them. I mean wtf?

And now you receive some currency items for your wares.
1 or 2 different currencies out of !!! 23 !!! in total.
23 items blocking your inventory at minimum. As there are shards of these items too which block more space.
And if you collect enough of these shards and complete them they wont stack with your other complete items of that type. The next shard you receive will occupy a third inventory slot ... I mean wtf?

After several hours of playing i startet to simply compare new drops to my currently equiped items, if i even pick them up, maybe switch them and throw away the other item. Everything else is just to much trouble.

Zones

Much to less alteration in your zone design. I barely notice if i just entered a new zone or the last one was just randomized and i havent moved at all. Only as i switched to act 2 there this moment of "oh something new". Just to compare to D3(spit) first act. Catheral, tristram fields, cursed forest, spider cave and torture chamber as different tile sets. If you played this cursed game (D3 spit) then you know this moment when you enter a new zone and its really new. Thats missing here.
On a side note: 2 Acts? Of this dimensions? Much to less content.

Story

There is a story?

Technical

Out of screen fights are a no go. Range mobs have more than once killed me without me knowing from where they are shooting. Best example is the last boss that was killing me for 3 times in a row (1 hitted pew pew laser) as i just entered the room and recasted my aura. (why are auras turned off in the first place?)

Objects like trees stones or tents render mobs nearly "invisible" as there is no tranparency. This is extremly annoying in a dungeon setting where mobs are standing next to a wall on the lower part of your screen. You are right in front of them though you cant see them.

Line of sight is incorrect. If you(or a mob) tries to shoot throug a door you will mostly hit the wall. Annoying as a default ranger.

"Ranger". There are no classes at all. Reffering to the skill tree you can get 111 skill points though you only need 21 points to get to the stating node of the "class" thats most away. Basically its like "choose how you want to look". I cant play a witch and afterwards start a new one to build "a better witch" as there is no meaning to class itself. My fist witch can be a 2h-axe wielding char whereas the second one will use bows. You could remove the conecpt of classes at all and implement a new starting node for all chars. It wouldnt change anything at all.

This list could go on and on. There are just so many moments when i´m just WTF? Why have they done such crap?

For me it was like playing an alpha version where complete systems are going to be replaced.
This is nearly open-beta. Quasi final. Ambitious project. Many interesting ideas. Though mediocre implementation.
My rating 7 out of 10. At best.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I just want to say that a lot of your criticism is actually a critique to their stylistic choice for the game.

Inventory
I actually do not think there are any serious issues here. The inventory size is small because it is working as intended. I never have a problem with going to town to sell my loot and go back into the wilderness afterwards. Not that big of a deal. My guess though is that you pick up a lot of junk and could make do with picking up less crappy items. I almost never grab blues unless they have perfect mods on them such as an amy with 30% faster mana regen. Think of D3...sure you can pick up a lot more stuff. But it is ALWAYS crap. Here you pick up from 10-15 items and 1 of them is good and 2 others decent - a very different design filosophy.

Zones aka Areas
I completely dissagree with you on this one. The different zones in the Acts feel vastly different to me. Take Act 1 for instance - You start of at a beach, eventually enter caverns, then you travel up a rocky mountain to reach a prison, and at some point you end up in a ship graveyard. Seems pretty different to me...

Story
Has not been inplemented yet but it does exist and it will be added.

Other Thoughts
Ranged mobs are an issue and a lot of the game is still in beta. I will say that one of the best things about this game is the developers. They care. They give updates. They listen. They wow us!

IGN: ImmortalFang
7 out of 10? for a closed beta?

not too bad i dont think
Things with "increased" and "decreased" in the tooltip are additive ... where as "More" or "Less" are multiplicative ...
"
Z0D wrote:
I just want to say that a lot of your criticism is actually a critique to their stylistic choice for the game.
^This. Sounds like you don't like things the developer's intentionally put into the game.
TehHammer is not a crime!
Currency items do stack though
S L O W E R
Maybe this could help you with deciding what to loot:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223
the reason for seperate sell&buy-windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
I dunno.

Unless you're picking up every single blue item and then storying it; how then is the inventory so small?

I dunno.

"
Qoun wrote:
Inventory/items

I´m constantly punished for collecting items. The inventory is so small i need to visit the camp every 5-10 min even if i only collect blue or better items. Wouldnt be a problem if i dont had to use a limited item to get back to town. All these items are worth something though i cant afford to sell them. I mean wtf?

As i finally arrive at the merchant i have to open a !!dialog menue!! to choose "sell". There is actually a seperate "buy" option!? To sell sth. i cant just click and its gone. No, drag all my stuff to the specific window one by one or shift-click them. I mean wtf?

And now you receive some currency items for your wares.
1 or 2 different currencies out of !!! 23 !!! in total.
23 items blocking your inventory at minimum. As there are shards of these items too which block more space.
And if you collect enough of these shards and complete them they wont stack with your other complete items of that type. The next shard you receive will occupy a third inventory slot ... I mean wtf?

After several hours of playing i startet to simply compare new drops to my currently equiped items, if i even pick them up, maybe switch them and throw away the other item. Everything else is just to much trouble.

The bolded part you mentioned is intended to be a viable way to play; selling things to vendors is intended to be optional, not necessarily optimal.

Also, you may want to have a look here.

"
Qoun wrote:
Zones

Much to less alteration in your zone design. I barely notice if i just entered a new zone or the last one was just randomized and i havent moved at all. Only as i switched to act 2 there this moment of "oh something new". Just to compare to D3(spit) first act. Catheral, tristram fields, cursed forest, spider cave and torture chamber as different tile sets. If you played this cursed game (D3 spit) then you know this moment when you enter a new zone and its really new. Thats missing here.
On a side note: 2 Acts? Of this dimensions? Much to less content.

They're working to add more content; that said, this is closed beta for a number of reasons, and this happens to be one of them.

"
Qoun wrote:
Story

There is a story?

See previous comment.

"
Qoun wrote:
Technical

Out of screen fights are a no go. Range mobs have more than once killed me without me knowing from where they are shooting. Best example is the last boss that was killing me for 3 times in a row (1 hitted pew pew laser) as i just entered the room and recasted my aura. (why are auras turned off in the first place?)

Objects like trees stones or tents render mobs nearly "invisible" as there is no tranparency. This is extremly annoying in a dungeon setting where mobs are standing next to a wall on the lower part of your screen. You are right in front of them though you cant see them.

Line of sight is incorrect. If you(or a mob) tries to shoot throug a door you will mostly hit the wall. Annoying as a default ranger.

"Ranger". There are no classes at all. Reffering to the skill tree you can get 111 skill points though you only need 21 points to get to the stating node of the "class" thats most away. Basically its like "choose how you want to look". I cant play a witch and afterwards start a new one to build "a better witch" as there is no meaning to class itself. My fist witch can be a 2h-axe wielding char whereas the second one will use bows. You could remove the conecpt of classes at all and implement a new starting node for all chars. It wouldnt change anything at all.

This list could go on and on. There are just so many moments when i´m just WTF? Why have they done such crap?

For me it was like playing an alpha version where complete systems are going to be replaced.
This is nearly open-beta. Quasi final. Ambitious project. Many interesting ideas. Though mediocre implementation.
My rating 7 out of 10. At best.

Many of the things you mention above are known issues, but the "lack" of hard class distinction is an intentional design choice: you can play a witch and afterwards start a new one to build a "better witch"... but you'll need to decide what kind of witch you want to play. Fire witch? Ice witch? Necromantic shock-witch? Each of these is possible, and different, and there are variations within them as well.

21 points' difference is a lot more significant than you might think: you stretch yourself thin by neglecting the bonuses along the way that might let you survive (say) Brutus, or Merveil.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
thread ignored just solely starting with inventory is small blabla bullshit.
"This is too good for you, very powerful ! You want - You take"
"

"

I dont care about the inventory much because stash is big enough and you can teleport back to town anytime you want to sell your loot. But definitely they must add transparency when the mobs or the character are behind objects.

And ofcourse to add the option to transfer, sell or drop your loot with a click of your mouse and not by dragging it.

If we had the option to compare the loot with what we wear without having to pick it up first it would be more convinient also.
Last edited by NickTheGreek on Jul 25, 2012, 6:03:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info