Website for beginners?

Hey all. I've looked around a bit, but I may just not be looking right. I'm trying to find out if there's some sort of website or resource that can help beginners understand the game.

Something that would help with understanding the different orbs and scraps and stones, the skill tree, and how each class generally wants to gear.

I say this because the game itself doesn't seem to intuitively help new players out. I just started this game last weekend. My Ranger is level 16 or so, and she's wearing the gear I picked up at like level 4. This is because, as my guess, I'd want gear that has attack speed and accuracy, maybe, and mostly a dexterity requirement.

But everything I find, none of it seems to meet these requirements. No double green sockets hardly, a lot of blue and red stuff. A lot of req dexterity and intellect, or dexterity and strength.

So I'm thinking, I'm probably doing it wrong. But the game doesn't really lend to helping new players out. I don't want the game holding my hand through the game, but all I know is it tells me my class is "the pure dexterity class," which would tend to make me believe that is my only focus.
Last edited by Xerouz on Jul 25, 2012, 10:55:53 AM
You'll want to have a look here.

The classes are described in terms of what they have easiest access to, rather than what they're "supposed" to get. It's perfectly acceptable, even expected, to deviate a bit with regards to gear and (later than before, with the newest iteration of the passive skill tree) skill choice.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
There are a lot of threads stickied at the top of this forum that have a ton of information. There are also a bunch of links to the left with even more good information.

Of course, there's a lot to learn in PoE and it'll just take some practice until you've gotten a decent grasp of all the mechanics.

If you're still using level 4 gear and your character is level 16 then I highly suggest you go straight to Tarkleigh/Gruest and buy yourself some upgrades. Even if they're white items. It's important to stay current with your gear unless you have a very good reason not to.
Forum Sheriff
PoE could definitely use a mechanics tutorial both in-game and/or on the website.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
This is something that the wiki could be incredibly helpful for in the future when it has more information on it.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info