Incinerate Mega Tank Marauder v2.0! Now with a video!

This WILL contain a story along with the build and explanations.

THIS IS NOT A DPS BUILD! IT IS A TANK BUILD!

Stats as of level 82:
Str: 374
Int: 197
Dex: 226
DPS: Tool tip says 842.3 + 80% Per level
Armour (buffed): 30550 (77% Reduction)
All Resist (Buffed): 78% all
Life: 4416
Life Per Second (buffed): 305

Build Strengths:
- Good against almost all map mods
- Over capped resists help with curses
- Can takeout large mobs easily
- Can face tank some/many bosses
- Gems are cheap
- It's fun!
- Amazing solo or in groups

Build Weakness:
- Dies to Lightning Thorns!
- Moderate DPS
- Gear Dependent
- Fire Resist Maps

Tip: I would not suggest leveling using Incinerate. Rather I would say use Ground Slam/Freezing Pulse to level!

The Beginning:
I have been playing this game since release and have built a few solid builds that I have really enjoyed. But a caster is something that I haven't really given a try at all. I could have just went FP, Spork. or even EK since they are top tier BY FAR for caster, or maybe I could have went something that's second tier like dual Ice Spear totems or Firestorm, but where's the fun in that?

So I looked into my overly stalked blue gem tab and behold, there it was; Incinerate! I know what you're thinking "So you're going to go dual totem Incinerate. Been there done that. It sucks!" But no. I didn't want to level a witch, Templar, or even a Shadow when I already had a level 75 Marauder just sitting in my character screen naked. So I theory crafted for a while. How many this in there and what gems to use here. This is what I came up with:

Current Skill Tree

And after spamming the trade chat a bit, I traded for 37 Regrets and respected. After having all of the needed gems, I was off to Docks...Normal...To level said gems.

Gems Needed for this build:
Spoiler

You'll run Grace off your HP using the Covenant. Gives a HUGE armour boost!

Determination is the main gem in the build. Boosts all of the armour you already have by 51% at level 20. But at the end, we'll be using it at level 22!

Just a solid gem at allows us to max out our gear without worrying about our resists!

The fourth and final Aura that I am running (feel free to use Wrath or Anger when running with a group) is Vitality. It makes the 4.4% you get from the tree into 5.9%. A pretty solid number!

Enduring Cry is a must on any tank.

Flammability is a must have for the build because of the burn increases it gives. Ele Weakness is fine too! Make sure you get a quality one!

Last but not least! Incinerate is you AoE, your single target and your life drain! A bad gem on it's own, that cost WAY too much mana, but if used properly, I believe can be amazing! Get a quality one!

Pretty standard set of gems for aura users, but it's not always the auras you use, but the gear that you use them with!

Gear and arranged gems
Spoiler

Alpha Howl is very important in this build. It gives 700+ armour and gives the armour gems +2 maxing out the armour that you can have.

I would suggest using a Lioneye's Remorse as it will give you a huge boost in surivablity! 1.8k-2k Armour is like have nearly 4k! And 90+ HP is HUGE!

Your gloves should just be life, armour, missing resists. chaos resist, and/or IIR. These are my melee gloves =P

For boots, you want to have the same as gloves in terms of stats.

Your belt should have a ton of HP and armour! Use a leather belt if you can.

A 5+ Link Astral Plate with 1k+ armour is needed. You can also use EV/AR Chest as long as it has Life, Resists, and high armour. A six link isn't a must, but it does help for sure! I'll explain the linked gems down below.

Updated Wand! On your wand you want 100+ Fire Spell damage with projectile speed. Also if you can get one with Chaos resist, do so!

Again, these rings are my melee rings. You're going to want Coral rings with 90+ Life and Fire percent damage on them. Rarity and Quantity are nice too.

On the neck you're going to want Spell Damage, Life, Fire Percent, All Stats, and/or Armour/Evasion Percent. Cast speed is not really needed on a Incinerate character.

After I got geared up, finished leveling my gems a bit, and did some Chromming of my chest (took only 20 to get those colors) I was off to Docks Merciless! At first the damage seemed just too low to make this build work. I wasn't take any damage though, so I pushed on! Then in trade someone was trading a level 13 12% incinerate! I jumped on that real quick! This gave me the boost from doing Docks to being on my way to fight Piety!

This is where I ran into my first real challenge, Kole! I was scared at first. Then I got to three endurance charges and face tanked him! Took me about 40 second to burn him away, but it felt amazing!

After battling through the overly long Lunaris Lvl 3, I was face to face with Piety! She said her mumble and went right for a freshly spawned Ice Pad. Instead of running, I dared to test out this new build by attempting to tank the Ice Form. With three endurance charges and a Granite Flask, I was able to take NO DAMAGE from her shots! And thanks to the Alpha Howl, I couldn't be frozen ether!

But admittedly Incinerate isn't very good against Piety's teleport. Took me about 4 or 5 minutes to take her out. BUT I DID IT! I built a build using Incinerate that could kill Piety! That's impressive in it's self if you ask me! But the real test would be maps! And since Piety dropped a Crypt, I figured I'd start there. But before I go any deeper into this story, let me explain what you should have on your Incinerate!

Link Explanation
Spoiler

As you can see, I have Incinerate linked with:
Lesser Multiple
Added Chaos
Life Leach
Blood Magic
Culling Strike

Lesser Multiple: Allows me to have 3 fire beams rather than one. The 30% decrease in damage hurts this build a lot less them GMP's 50% because Incinerate already has such a low DPS as it is.

Added Chaos: Since your Incinerate is so weak on it's own, it needs a bit of a buffer. Added Lightning is also a very good buffer, but since most things that run or teleport away have Energy Shields, I want to be able to just hit their HP directly because it's unlikely that you'll be able to ramp up Incinerate in before they run. Also it will allow you to still burn the enemy and added lightning can over power the fire sometimes.

Life Leach: Incinerate cost a TON of Mana/HP to keeping going. The best solution is the newly buffed Life Leech. The 8.8% at level 20 is a ton and will allow you to hold the skill down when engaged in combat. Even against one enemy.

Blood Magic: Makes the skill go to your face. It makes it cost seemingly a million more to cast, but it's worth it. Allows you to use Auras and not manage mana. Be careful to not spray when there are no guys around. You can kill yourself!

Culling Strike: This is the optional Gem. I wanted to get 3 Blues 1 Green 2 Reds, but ended up with two of each. And I needed something that could help the DPS. Then I remebered how good Culling Strike is. Quality adds 0.5% to attack speed and cast speed per Quality. Meaning that at level 20, a 20% Culling will have +10% Cast Speed/Attack Speed! And not only that, but each level adds damage to you skill to a maximum of 22% increased damage! No reason not to use it to be honest!

Maps:
I've done up 73's and haven't died. Almost died 10 times to lightning thorns though.

Strategy Using the Build:
Spoiler
Large Mobs Will be your main focus. If you're soloing just try to get all of the mobs together and burn them down! In groups you'll want to be the main focus of the mobs by spamming Enduring Cry. Taking aggro off those squishy LA/FP/RoA characters will prove to be to your benefit. You're pretty much like a melee class that just happens to be using a fire based AoE, so treat it that way. You are not a caster!

Single Target Rare You want to take out the surrounding mobs before focusing on the single Yellow mob. You should be able to just stand there and burn away the target without much worry unless the map and the mob has a damage multiplier in these cases use your Enduring Cry and Granite Flasks as needed.

Single Targets Bosses should be focused on after you have some Endurance Charges up! Make sure you try not to move too much. Some bosses should be tank-able without using your Granite Flask, but make sure it's always ready!

Multiple Bosses should be dealt with individually and not together. Try to get them apart using a Decoy Totem or Enduring Cry. If you can't seem to do so, then just be cautious of your Endurance Charges or Potions.

Intended Build up to level 85 (Subject to change):

Intended Build at level 100 (subject to change):

Flasks
Spoiler

You want to get "Recovers charges when you take a crit" because you will be crit and it won't really effect you. I need a new second pot, but you want the most life that you can on those Life Flasks.

VIDEO!
IGN: Meowauder
IGN: ThatOneGuyThatllDie
Last edited by Shocky1000 on Jul 20, 2013, 1:05:14 PM
Updated stats and wand*
Bump
Last edited by Shocky1000 on Jun 3, 2013, 8:21:59 PM
Updated:
Stats
Belt
Gloves
Shield
Ring
Couple of questions:
What is your dps with incenerate?
Is your 21k armor obtained from just auras and gears (no flasks)?
Is it possible to die to lightning thorn if you don't deal any lightning damage?
ign TheBlackMambaTemplar
"
technie_noob wrote:
Couple of questions:
Is it possible to die to lightning thorn if you don't deal any lightning damage?

Incinerate DPS is a bit weird. It has tiers of damage that increases the damage by 80% for each one and I think there are 4 (I could be wrong). So tool tip is wrong on what it says. But I can do 71 maps easy with it (highest I have done with this guy) solo and in parties. This will tell you more
Spoiler
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Incinerate
And I have yet to die. I almost did to lighning thorns.

Lightning thorns hits you for a static amount for each time you hit the enemy. Since Incinerate "hit" at around .16 APS you take a hit from it at that rate. With Blood Magic and thorns hitting you, you can die.

21k Armour is just with Auras, Gear, and passives only. I can get about 94-95% damage reduction with my flask.

Also my Armour buff gems are at level 16, so they still have 4 levels left! So that armour is going to be huge. And I will be updating the tree after the respec tomorrow. Taking more armour I think.
Last edited by Shocky1000 on Jun 4, 2013, 11:33:28 PM
"
Shocky1000 wrote:
"
technie_noob wrote:
Couple of questions:

Incinerate DPS is a bit weird. It has tiers of damage that increases the damage by 80% for each one and I think there are 4 (I could be wrong). So tool tip is wrong on what it says. But I can do 71 maps easy with it (highest I have done with this guy) solo and in parties. This will tell you more
Spoiler
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Incinerate
And I have yet to die. I almost did to lighning thorns.

Lightning thorns hits you for a static amount for each time you hit the enemy. Since Incinerate "hit" at around .16 APS you take a hit from it at that rate. With Blood Magic and thorns hitting you, you can die.

21k Armour is just with Auras, Gear, and passives only. I can get about 94-95% damage reduction with my flask.

Also my Armour buff gems are at level 16, so they still have 4 levels left! So that armour is going to be huge. And I will be updating the tree after the respec tomorrow. Taking more armour I think.

This sounds great. I might respec my marauder into this, considering the pros and cons I really like the build. Even though I have very little knowledge about the skill tree, being a group tank is very useful.
ign TheBlackMambaTemplar
"
technie_noob wrote:

This sounds great. I might respec my marauder into this, considering the pros and cons I really like the build. Even though I have very little knowledge about the skill tree, being a group tank is very useful.

For sure! Let me know how it goes! Just make sure you level the gems a bit and maybe get a quality Incinerate.
I face tanked Kole, Piety, and most of the bosses I played against! Add me in game and we can tank together some time!

P.S. I really wish I could record some videos to show people =/

Added my Flasks*
Last edited by Shocky1000 on Jun 5, 2013, 8:32:09 AM
Updated from patch 0.11.0 respec.
Updated stats*

Report Forum Post