Are there any plans for Asia server?

Did you read his post before you raged at him? He said that the Singapore gateway gives him 300 ms latency, just like US and EU.

Kinki, you could try the GArena servers
Sharing my experience here.

After working on this for a long time, I have finally reduced the game latency and disconnects playing from china, but it is true that I quite don´t understand how playing from the Singa gateway gives such bad latencies if you play inside Asia. The latency should be way inferior.

I have tried everything, gathered tons of information about it, I have tested an implemented all the VPN and other proxy methods in existance, even the OpenVPN scrambled patch version.

My final solution, wich is quite good is to host my own VPN server in Singapore, with a high performance machine and the best networking latency setup available. It´s a top tier cloud computing host.

There is a new VPN protocol / technology made from a university in Japan, released this year that makes VPN go over SSL. That is amazing cause after implementing it on my server, I can guarantee that I am fully penetrating the great firewall of china and my packets are not getting dropped / fucked by deep packet inspection. The problem in China is that the firewall backbone is going to fuck with your packets AKA filter them, mangling them, inspecting them, dropping and blocking them, even if you are not using a VPN or a proxy ! Just with your raw connection.

I got 80ms from Beijing / China to my Singapore server now, constant. Normally it was like 250+ms and tons of packet loss ( causing the random disconnections from the game )

Still, I can say that the Singapore server is not delivering at it should, at least from China. But as other players are commenting on this, claiming bad pings also from Korea, I see that this is not only in china and the performance of this gateway at the network level should be revised.

It doesn´t make sense that people is getting 300ms in Europe or the USA servers when they are in Asia, and the Singa server is giving the same latencies. It just smells strange and it should be revised. We are experiencing a hell here in China trying to figure out why people can play Diablo 3 and EverQuest or other games just plain OK without having to invest in heavy development and money, and PoE don´t. It would be nice to receive some feedback from a dev on this issue.

EDIT : Right now I am in game and I am having 120 ms constant, wich is very good. When you play though, everytime you fight a pack of mobs, there are spikes in latency, very short though but it could kill you depending on the situation. Those spikes reach 500 ms sometimes. Without my VPN the spikes are horrible high and the packet loss makes it unplayable. The overall ping is also higher, up to 220ms base ping, sometimes more.

EDIT 2: Pinging from my Singapore server to the Singa gateway, I get 3ms, wich means if you are in Singapore you will obviously get amazing speed, but not totally sure of how the gateway interact with the game servers, and if there are actually game servers in Singapore, or you are being redirected to the game servers in the USA ( that will make sense if we take in count player reports of latency being similar in Singa and USA gateways ) That would render the idea of a Singapore server kinda useless, depending on how it is implemented.

Without my VPN ( more info coming, doing tests now )

Spoiler

As you can see there is massive packet loss,(82% of all packets sent on this picture, on the switch or router where the traffic is exiting the Chinese area. That is part of the conglomerate known as great firewall of China. And this is actually nothing. I have seen brutal numbers on packet loss while testing before through all the hops. That makes the game unplayable, ok, this is fault of the heavily restrictive backbone in China, now next :

With my VPN on, pinging from my computer to the singa server. Important thing to note! There is a hop on the Singapore network side, specifically the po2.fcr01.sr03.sng01.networklayer.com - probably a switch or a router, that is dropping packets ( compare both pictures ):

Spoiler

As you can see there is 0% packet loss, because I am fully penetrating the firewall. The average ping is from 90 to 120 stable , and the "Worst" is about 500-800, that is when the game spikes ( the m.s meter on the game goes higher sometimes ) It looks like PoE suffers from some kind of throttling, be it network related or server related.

Pinging from my UNIX machine to the login Singa server, is a dream. Note that this is not a regular ADSL connection from Singapore, i am pinging from a datacenter network. Average ms delay is 3ms.

Spoiler

Pinging from my computer to the local TAP interface ( the VPN interface ) of my VPN server in Singapore :

Spoiler

As you can see, when I ping from my computer to my server in Singapore I get an average of only 90 ms and max worst spike is 178ms. Seems that is when I hop in to the Singa PoE gateway network things start getting hairy .........................

So, the overhead we get when we jump from my server to GGG server, seems fine and logical. It adds about 20-30 ms more to get to the gateway. What I don´t understan is the throttling. Why the game throttles and spikes ? I don´t get any brutal throttling when I ping the TAP interface of my server in Singapore. It would be nice to know that.

Doing more tests now will publish asap ...

Thanks

Last edited by chromafunk on Sep 1, 2014, 9:58:04 AM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Kinki wrote:
I'm going to keep this thread alive, or try... I just loaded up the game again today after not playing since at least a year back and then from the USA (I now play from S. Korea) and the best I could get was 315ms to Singapore.

As a reference, I get 305 to the USA and 350 to EU.

you can kill the thread, fucking necroing a 2 year old thread and not even looking to see if there is a Asian server, which there is...type Singapore into the gateway box when logging in.

If you have poor speed it's because the infrastructure there is a bit broken...always has been.

Man I mentioned where I was connecting to. How exactly did you think i was getting a number from Singapore if I wasn't going through the Singapore gateway?

See, that's the problem; bad latency when playing from an Asian country WHEN playing through the Singapore gateway.

You want a thread to die, don't respond to it. *duh*
"
chromafunk wrote:
Sharing my experience here.

After working on this for a long time, I have finally reduced the game latency and disconnects playing from china, but it is true that I quite don´t understand how playing from the Singa gateway gives such bad latencies if you play inside Asia. The latency should be way inferior.

I didn't quote the whole post as it was quite long, but it was a very good read. It certainly sheds a little light on what is going on.

When I initially commented on this thread, I hadn't really given any thought to when the original was written. I looked at the date, said August, and didn't bother to look at the year... seems I did resurrect an old thread.

That said, it's amazing that this is still a problem. Also unfortunate is how noticeable it is in game. Certain games are affected differently, but bot PoE is hurt by bad latency in game.
"
Mivo wrote:
Did you read his post before you raged at him? He said that the Singapore gateway gives him 300 ms latency, just like US and EU.

Kinki, you could try the GArena servers

I guess my impression was that the Singapore gateway was the Garena servers. I may be misinformed.
I am going to keep on posting on that long post different configurations and their performace, keep an eye on it.
Last edited by chromafunk on Sep 1, 2014, 8:16:05 AM
updated post with more tests and comparisons.
"
chromafunk wrote:
updated post with more tests and comparisons.

Damn man, you seem like you have a good handle on all this. Most of what you posted makes sense, but admittedly some of it was lost in translation; and I don't mean from Chinese to English, I mean from networking know-how to me.

That said, you mentioned that the ping to the gateway was acceptable but the spiking was not.

It may seem bratty, but I can't imagine playing this game under 150ms; the difference from 250ms to 300ms is brutal.

Nice necro. I'm also playing from China, also noticed Australia server seems more stable. Higher ping, but less spiking and disconnects.
Resuming, there is one thing clear : There is a hop on the Singapore PoE Network that causes packet loss. You can see it comparing both first and second picture.

Secondly, when I ping my VPN server that is hosted in Singapore, I never throttle to stupid pings.

My connection remains stable with a ping of 80-95 ms and when it spikes, it does to an acceptable level of 150 ping max, that being the worst of the cases. When I am inside poe or just pinging the PoE server on this same configuration, I get more overhead, because there are more hops from my VPN server until it reaches the PoE server in Singapore, and that is normal, it gets to 140ms, wich is not bad taking in count we are connecting from China. But the really strange thing that is making me go nutz is : WHy the game server is throttling so hard ?

It goes from an acceptable 140 to 800 ms. Would it be possible that the packet loss on this device : po2.fcr01.sr03.sng01.networklayer.com ( 12% packet loss on that picture, testing right now and I got 5% packet loss already on that hop again ) is causing the latency throttles ? Is the network healthy there ?????? I don´t want to put in doubt how configured / optimized are the servers, so I will speculate with the network in that datacenter and their connection to the backbone in Singapore, otherwise ... ENIGMA. Only GGG could tell us what's up there.

By the way, this is the company GGG uses to host their gateway in Singapore : http://www.pacnet.com/

Last edited by chromafunk on Sep 1, 2014, 10:56:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info