Recommended program to record Path of Exile videos ??

Hi

Can anyone tell me a good software to record path of exile videos for uploading to youtube?

I tried FRAPS, but i recorded a 2-3minute video and the size of the file was 8gigs!? wtf?

I have decent internet but my ISP limits my upload very much, to upload 8gigs would take days if not weeks. anyone know a program where i can record with decent quality but small in size? doesnt have to be perfect, or the best audio, just decent ggfx with decent audio

thanks
Last edited by jazf on May 25, 2013, 3:11:22 AM
Last bumped on Sep 10, 2017, 5:28:23 AM
You need to compress the file size before uploading. Fraps records in uncompressed files since it can't compress and record at the same time, so they are going to be gigantic. You can lessen them by selecting "half-size" instead of "full-size," but that lowers the resolution.

Most common programs for compressing are Windows Movie Maker or Virtual Dub. They kinda suck, but they're free, unlike Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas. If you *ahem* acquire Sony Vegas, make sure it's 8.0c, the newest versions kinda suck. Any Adobe is good.

YouTube has tutorials.

Other recording programs you can try are Bandicam (I like Fraps more personally) and a plugin for Open-Broadcaster, which may make the files much smaller than Fraps but not nearly as good quality. Still, if all you're uploading to is YouTube, no one will notice.
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
You need to compress the file size before uploading. Fraps records in uncompressed files since it can't compress and record at the same time, so they are going to be gigantic. You can lessen them by selecting "half-size" instead of "full-size," but that lowers the resolution.

Most common programs for compressing are Windows Movie Maker or Virtual Dub. They kinda suck, but they're free, unlike Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas. If you *ahem* acquire Sony Vegas, make sure it's 8.0c, the newest versions kinda suck. Any Adobe is good.

YouTube has tutorials.

Other recording programs you can try are Bandicam (I like Fraps more personally) and a plugin for Open-Broadcaster, which may make the files much smaller than Fraps but not nearly as good quality. Still, if all you're uploading to is YouTube, no one will notice.

windows movie maker is horrible for compressing... try SUPER (thats the name) it converts everything to everything

btw program that records a movie without any compression/codec sounds really poor... I hope someone can point you out in the right direction because that seems really annoying to compress it yourself
As others have said, DO NOT upload raw Fraps video to YouTube. You have to compress it somehow. A tutorial and a decent program shouldn't be hard to find. (Hint: Windows (Live) Movie Maker is/are the worst program I have ever seen. Don't use it. I prefer VideoPad.)

My favorite recording software is FFsplit. The video quality isnt as good as Fraps, but YouTube will lower the quality by itself anyway. Also, I feel with FFsplit the colors are a little bit off. However, the files are miniscule and won't require any compression before uploading. Just make sure you set PoE to Windowed Fullscreen and figure out how to properly select the window with FFsplit. Also, if you want to record your voice, you'll have to use another program like Audacity and sync it yourself (with VideoPad, for example), because FFsplit's built-in mic recording leaves it delayed by at least 3 seconds.

(The actual best recording software out there is probably Dxtory, but Dxtory doesn't play nice with PoE.)
Last edited by thescyphozoa on May 25, 2013, 3:56:29 AM
alright thanks for all the answers!
I record with fraps, edit with Sony vegas and convert to AVI with Freemake video converter
I always use a program called AppGeeker that you can use to convert files to much smaller sizes (among other things).

http://www.appgeeker.com/how-to/convert-flv-to-avi-mac.html

The Fraps videos often ended with .avi file extension, so just compress the raw gigantic video to a YouTube-friendly format like flv.
I've had good luck with http://www.convertmxffiles.com

It lets you select preset options for converting video to PC friendly formats.
http://www.convertmxffiles.com
Last edited by mxffiles on Apr 18, 2017, 6:30:03 AM
Dxtory + HandBreak + H.264 codec
OBS. Set it up, and instead of using its streaming feature, just hit the record button (Just hit Start Recording). You're going to seriously tax your machine, so you better have something beefy.

https://obsproject.com

Free and pretty easy to set up. Just make sure you set the compression to something reasonable. You didn't set up FRAPS properly and it likely spit out uncompressed video, which is why the file size was so high.

The option is under Setting > Output > Recording (Tab). I have mine set to x264 VBR 3500 betrate, but that's on the high side. You could easily get away with 2500. I have mine using the mp4 file container, but mkv is a good one too (doesn't really matter all that much unless you're trying to play it back on various devices).
Deliver pain exquisite

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info