Four Map Slot Speculation

So after watching the video with Chris and the journalist I wanted to speculate on why the map has 4 slots. Feel free to add your own...I think a prize should be given to whomever gets it correct!

My speculation is that it takes you to a large closed area. It then hacks D3, Torchlight 2, and Grim Dawn and randomly summons a player from those games. You all then duel to perma-death.
Chris did mention 'Map words' in one of the videos.
"
Rawrasawr wrote:
You all then duel to perma-death.

In real life.

Or maybe there will be bigger maps in the future (1-2, 2-2).

Or maybe you can put in more than one map of the same type, and it opens [# of maps] x 6 portals.
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
That was a great video except the part where I'm screaming at the screen "YOU ARE A RANGED DPS, WHY ARE YOU RUNNING TO THE MOBS!!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97SskaQuijo&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
IIRC it was also mentioned that the symbol on the map can be reversed when you use a Mirror of Kalandra on it. Together with those 4 spaces i would say its either:

-simply combining multiple maps into a larger one (maybe get even more increased item quantity, since you have to consider having only 6 invetory spaces of stuff you can carry from a map - and in this case it would be better to open the 4 maps seperatly to have more portals, so it has to bring some advantage of opening them combined) -> mind this theory doesn't make any use of the mirrored symbol

-or Facelicker idea of map words (seems more likely IMHO) -> this could nicely use the mirrored symbols
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Jul 21, 2012, 7:46:43 AM
Chris said in the playthrough with Totalbiscuit that there is currently no plan at all to use the additional slots. They're just red herrings.

Which means that our job is not as much to speculate what their role COULD be, but what WE WANT their role to be!

Map words would be awesome!
Chris did say in the video its to troll people, and that because they can. Why not make it 5x5?. You guys think too much
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:
Chris did say in the video its to troll people, and that because they can. Why not make it 5x5?. You guys think too much

Well yeah I think too much, that's why I love PoE- it's a thinking game!

Anyway the 4 map slots, while a troll feature right now, could be expanded on in the future. Maybe there could be non-stackable orbs that can be placed in there with the map, that increase the level of the map, increase base magic find in that map, make more champions/bosses spawn, these sorts of bonuses.
To be fair it could easily be a double-blind he might have said it's just a troll because we can...because he could.

Anyway I'm back off to the fishing thread to see what everyone caught today. ;)
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who have not.
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:

He also said they have a some kind of plan for them.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info