To people crying about how the passive skill tree is overwhelming :

Moderator edit: Please don't post rubbish like this, attacking people for no reason. GGG welcomes all feedback.

Go play another game.

Path of Exile is great since it DOESN'T hold your hand and tell you things will be fine.
If you don't understand a stat or a node info, go look it out on the internet.

RESEARCH YOUR SPEC.

PLAN AHEAD YOUR CHOICES.

and finally, STOP ACTING LIKE A KID, since this game isn't made for kids.

I loved every part of the old passive skill tree, it made me spent many hours at how to spec better to optimize my damage and survivability.

I did a lot of research and I know what I still need to improve.
Asking for a ''gentle'' version of the passive skill tree will only push you towards the new active skill and no passive skill tree system that blizzard did for D3, wich killed the replayability.

Great work GGG, stop listening to those idiot kids, your game is great.

Last edited by Malice on Jul 23, 2012, 4:31:02 PM
my 2 cents: I agree.
http://www.last.fm/user/LinchpinPL

http://is.gd/zNxxJg Lynchpin, Firestorm Templar, lvl 74

Current char: http://is.gd/Q9HfTo Deflector, ES/EVA/BLOCK/ELEM Shadow, lvl 65
The new passive skill tree looks fine to me. Maybe it'll need some tweaking, but don't judge it just yet.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
I agree, honestly, providing 1-2 full respecs based upon reaching a point in the game would be far better than dumbing down the tree could do for the game. If anything, I'd like to see the tree made even more complex with more options. :)
I just started my first character this morning. The skill tree is confusing at first, but It seems fairly manageable. I'm not sure how it was previously but as a newbie I'd like to say GGG has done a fairly good job at making it only slightly intimidating.
Kids play final fantasy on console years ago, anyone remember Materia?

I survived that just fine.

I logged onto PoE for the very first time, checked the passive skill tree, zoomed right out and literally said out loud; Woah holy fuck.

Then i spent the first ten minutes of my time in-game scrolling around it and looking at stuff.

I was fortunate to discover early on (By asking the community) that my suspicions of my class were correct in that Evasion alone isn't enough.

I quickly put together a rough build of my own to incorperate Chaos Innoculation and some other passive that buff evasion/Energy shield, i then spent a little time scrolling around those areas for which path to said passives i'd take, based upon what Bow based passives were around it.

I considered the choices of direction, picked one i favoured.
Hey presto.

That was it, i had a rough build and a direction to go.

It took minimal effort, a little time and common sense. I did not whine over it hoping to have it turned into a dumbed-down version to make things simpler, i just didn/'t

-My experience of the passive tree as a noob.

Futhermore i'd like to add that if anyone is looking for a simple no-choice game to hold your hand where your skill choices are limited to around six or so with no point allocation to stress about, there this game called Diablo 3, you should go try it, it'l hold your hand start to finish and it's not at all possible to make mistakes or commit to "builds"
Last edited by l0rdzedd on Jul 23, 2012, 2:05:37 PM
The days of a deep and intriguing skilltree are gone anyway. It's hip to be square I guess (like the tree). One less path per start point. :(
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Wow do we really need a DoTA community here where if you are new and don't understand the mechanics you get harassed out of the game?

First we need a large ammount of players for a F2P game to be successful aka stay around. While I don't want to ActiBlizzify this great game, you could take the time to explain where the complainers need to go to find the info or answer their questions.

Secondly there are things that can be done that keep the deep leveling system while also helping to ease those people who have problems with it into it. Of course telling them to STFU and GTFO is not one of them.

Here are a few things i've put up on other threads
1) Have a sidebar that totals up the passive bonuses. This would allow for you to make a quick build on the site and see where it could be lacking or too invested at a glance. I have a spreadsheet because I'm OC like that, others just kinda go and tweak their builds as necessary or start a new character and fix it then.

2) Have a page between the passive skill tree and the classes, with the keystones descriptions, maybe have some recommendations involved, I.E. Blood Magic is great for someone who has a large life pool but has been successfully used by witches as well

3) In the classes section have 2-5 builds ranging from generic to out there and possibly a link to GGG favorite build, maybe as a video on youtube.

4) In the community when someone complains about the skill tree tell them about the class forums, and if you are in those forums don't flame them either ignore or post advice.
“I look only to the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won’t presume to probe into the faults of others.” - Gandhi
^ +1 =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Go play another game.

Path of Exile is great since it DOESN'T hold your hand and tell you things will be fine.
If you don't understand a stat or a node info, go look it out on the internet.

RESEARCH YOUR SPEC.

PLAN AHEAD YOUR CHOICES.

and finally, STOP ACTING LIKE A KID, since this game isn't made for kids.

I loved every part of the old passive skill tree, it made me spent many hours at how to spec better to optimize my damage and survivability.

I did a lot of research and I know what I still need to improve.
Asking for a ''gentle'' version of the passive skill tree will only push you towards the new active skill and no passive skill tree system that blizzard did for D3, wich killed the replayability.

Great work GGG, stop listening to those idiot kids, your game is great.

Done with your soap box?

I don't know why you felt "entitled" to post something like this if you felt that people aren't "entitled" to speak their minds about how they feel about the game. You aren't the only one who's allowed to express their freedom of speech.

While we're on the topic of oxymorons... you sound like a spoiled brat.

EDIT: Do not misconstrue my post as an admission that I think the skill tree is complicated, I happen to like it. I just think that people should be entitled to their opinions without fear of persecution.
Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things right now: Jack and shit... and Jack left town.
Last edited by Dhrakken on Jul 23, 2012, 2:55:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info