Reality check and PoE

I know I shouldn't bring up something like this, but you ever wonder how, we are playing POE to escape from something, but eventually we have to face that something? I don't know about you or other people

but I can tell you something about myself, I'm almost thirty years old and I'm struggling everyday. I ask "I'm here playing PoE now but is there something I need to do?". Did I mention that I'm a mentally handicapped person.

Everyday I struggle to find myself being more of a normal person, and trying to live a life a normal person would had but it's impossible for me. It's like those days whem you sit out in the cold for hours after hours but you don't care.
Exactly how are you mentally handicapped?

Diagnosis?
Standard Forever
I play path of exile to get away from something too, mostly my gf and work. If real life offered me the oppertunity to slay hundreds of monsters in the manner of my choosing, I would not be playing poe.
"
iamstryker wrote:

Diagnosis?

I have Tourette syndrome, does telling you this makes you happier?
"
hotaichu wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:

Diagnosis?

I have Tourette syndrome, does telling you this makes you happier?

Why would it make me happier? I was just really curious since I have seen you post that more than once. There was no way for me to tell at all that you have any kind of handicapp until you told me yourself so I just had to wonder what exactly it was that you decided to share with everyone in PoE.

Standard Forever
In real life, I have trouble talking, people get scared of me. That is why I do most of my talking here.

Edit: and when I scare people away I have a habit of sitting outside in the cold I live in Canada, many days the celsius drop to 0. I do this to punish myself.
Last edited by hotaichu on May 24, 2013, 4:40:01 AM
OP, that is a very interesting but difficult topic.

It requires us (read: the gamers) to reflect upon ourselves and our definition of reality. What do we hold dear, what matters to us?

Now you are talking about the struggle to live the normal life of a normal person. Personally, I find myself more and more unsatisfied by that norm. I am asking myself constantly how I can circumvent all those normal responsibilities and tasks.

There are a lot of theoretical implications to discuss here, like the necessity of a society to create a kind of "accepted reality" with a definite set of rules and values and to oppose every deviating design of reality (society does not benefit from gamers, unless gaming is an accepted part of the social construct), the elimination of rebellious behaviour or the provision of options for ppl that are not satisfied by other options (like myself).

I will not go too deep into this now (mostly because I want to play some time before I have to go to work), but again, that topic is very interesting but very difficult and discomforting.

regards
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
Mental diagnosis? I'm a nerd.

Real life is fine actually. I just like to play games once in a while.

(I have a happy life, i'm married, have supernice kids, own a 350.000$ house, have a fulltime job, ride a 60.000$ car and play games when nobody is looking ;) )

Edit: but gaming is not a fulltime job for me. If I look to the top players I cannot help me wondering why they spend their life to a game. That's to a certain degree a big waste of lifetime.
Last edited by Kaw on May 24, 2013, 4:42:20 AM
I'm betting Charan is laughing when reading this, but what i wrote is the truth.
"
hotaichu wrote:
In real life, I have trouble talking, people get scared of me. That is why I do most of my talking here.

Edit: and when I scare people away I have a habit of sitting outside in the cold I live in Canada, many days the celsius drop to 0. I do this to punish myself.

Hummm, maybe it's time to get some real life help for this? Most people punish themself for failures in life. It sounds you got in a vicious circle? You punish you for failing and in that pusishment itself you fail to do something with your life. Often it is possible to find help with this. Go to your local medical centre and tell them your problem(s). They will probably send you to someone with an expertise on mental problems.

On the other side go doing charity work if you have problems finding a paid job. That gives you social interaction and a good feeling.

If you have a good church in the neighbourhood: go talk to the pastor. It doesn't matter if you do not believe in God. A church is often a good and safe place to get some social interaction and help from nice people. They could help you clean and fix up your house if that's needed. That gives a positive mental boost too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info