Skills with Cooldowns

"
anubite wrote:
GGG has plans to eventually re-add a support gem which increases skill casting time while improving the spells effects and/or damage.

That's essentially what you're looking for right?

I think it's okay if we have a few high-CD based skills, but they shouldn't be the norm, nor should they be things everyone wants on their character.

Where did you hear about it?
Cooldowns ruin the experience in ARPG games. The d2 style was really nice (using d2 as example because most of you probably know of the game). Skills did have cooldowns but you could make them almost nonexistant. Compare a 200 fcr sorc to 180(don't remember exact breakpoint), but since you sacrifised that much for the fcr you ended up losing alot of possibilities such as 75%block,more mana for es, more damage etc..

And malice the difference between the 2 games is that in diablo 2 you could easily get TOONS of fcr/ias which made a huge difference. In PoE I am not sure how much of a difference items are going to make so we can't speak too soon, the end game gear has yet to be displayed. As of now I feel like skills are way too fast paced at low levels and you don't really progress all that much later on. Comparing with d2 which could have pretty large cds early on to almost a difference of 200-300+% at the end using the same skill.

Also ruining skills visually because of balance is retarded. Just remove some of the damage and vooawala problem solved. Look at d3 they ruined the game by decreasing attackspeed to oblivion, nobody likes games where you don't progress and becoming OP (not damage wise) but visually is extremely important.

"
anubite wrote:
GGG has plans to eventually re-add a support gem which increases skill casting time while improving the spells effects and/or damage.

That's essentially what you're looking for right?

I think it's okay if we have a few high-CD based skills, but they shouldn't be the norm, nor should they be things everyone wants on their character.

Yea this is pretty cool, but I have trouble seeing it work properly, some skills are ment to be ``fast paced`` whilest others are suppost to be used in different ways/occasions. It is a cool idea but I think it will be hard to add properly without damaging. Though will be interesting to see how GGG does it.

"
laian wrote:
V

If you are going to be the good guy that tries to decrease amount of spam don't be a hypocrit, pm me instead of making a new post which in itself is more useless than my ``overly repeated message`` because mine atleast is voicing an opinion even if it has redundantely been spoken it means you add to the amount of people so to speak creating a larger voice.
Last edited by neroscapegod on Jul 20, 2012, 11:53:59 AM
"
Cooldowns ruin games. The d2 style was really nice. Skills didn't have cooldowns but you could still improve A TON. Lets compare a 200 fcr sorc to 180(don't remember exact breakpoint) that was a huge deal even though there ain't any cooldowns to begin with.

Honestly I think you should read the whole thread before commenting. It's not that what you're saying isn't true, but the same argument has been repeated over and over
besdies. my flicker strike does have a cooldown. .46seconds. :)
"
laian wrote:
Yeah but it's clunky and doesn't feel rewarding for the time it takes to set it up.

I guess that's just the nature of traps: they take time to set up. Then again, the traps in PoE don't have an activation timer, so you can just stop and chuck 'em into the path of your enemies for instant effect.

I use both Bear Trap and Fire Trap with my Witch build and, at level 49, my Bear Trap hits for 665-930 physical damage (skill lvl 12)...it's a beast for single-target damage. My Fire Trap explodes for 300-450 fire damage, then burns for 120 DoT (also at lvl 12).

The main thing is just putting yourself in a position to use it well. I'd say FT feels rewarding when it nukes a whole group of enemies at once.
Yeah... but my level 48 Templar uses Freezing Pulse with 500 cold damage and 100 lightning damage. But it casts faster and has no cooldown
I feel on the TOG forum. People making claim why the game is broken and not having a clue. Seriously, its getting nowhere, stay rational. Now, cooldown are a game breaker, that's new. Having a skill that you can't spam will make the game worse or not fun? really? I just don't get it. It's just about how its done, that the skill system is well designed, that's all, not about cooldown or not. What cooldown can give you is a better variability of what the skill do by adding cooldown, giving you more different skills with different behavior adding to the customization.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info