Skills with Cooldowns

Why don't we have them?

The metagame has primarily devolved into: pick one good AOE skill and use that to kill everything, even bosses. Even things that resist it. Even if another skill would be better suited, it isn't as well supported so don't use it.

If we added some skills with cooldowns, I'm sure we would see more variety in the playstyles of characters. While PoE does great for customization, the actual combat is kind of.. lacking in variety? It's not dull, it's not boring, but it could benefit the game to encourage use of multiple skills.

While thinking of a simple way to add this to the game without disturbing too much, I came up with this: (Not really necessary for the discussion of cooldowns)

Spoiler
Potency Support Gem (white, can go in any slot):
Transforms a skill into a more powerful version that has a cooldown based on it's mana cost.

Huh? What do you all think? :D There's a separate thread for it in the suggestion forum here
Last edited by laian on Jul 19, 2012, 11:58:43 PM
"
laian wrote:
Why don't we have them?

The metagame has primarily devolved into: pick one good AOE skill and use that to kill everything, even bosses. Even things that resist it. Even if another skill would be better suited, it isn't as well supported so don't use it.

If we added some skills with cooldowns, I'm sure we would see more variety in the playstyles of characters. While PoE does great for customization, the actual combat is kind of.. lacking in variety? It's not dull, it's not boring, but it could benefit the game to encourage use of multiple skills.

We're getting them, don't worry - and I don't know if you've noticed, but certain skills already have them (fire trap, for example).
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
Hm. I never really considered fire trap... maybe if they buff it I will :)

Anyway, I made a separate thread about the added potency support gem.

Have the devs themselves made any claims about this?
Last edited by laian on Jul 19, 2012, 4:48:42 PM
"
laian wrote:
The metagame has primarily devolved into: pick one good AOE skill and use that to kill everything, even bosses.

Incidentally, I believe the discussion in this thread suggests the metagame isn't quite so single-minded as you claim.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
Since when is spamming aoe skills metagame?
i like it how it is
Team kiwi
Last edited by hawkey3 on Jul 19, 2012, 11:47:09 PM
"
Skivverus wrote:
"
laian wrote:
Why don't we have them?

We're getting them, don't worry - and I don't know if you've noticed, but certain skills already have them (fire trap, for example).

Srsly?? - I must say, that I don't really like cooldowns in ARPG-games. It just feels to MOBA'ish. D3 is filled with CD-skills and it's just annoying, and it makes you save it for the right moment (which you never really knows what is).

Cooldown skills implies that they are hella strong, and that means you might wanna have one in your arsenal, as an "I'm in big trouble now, I'll just use my CD-skill and kill everything"-skill - like those CD skills the barb has in D3.

And last but not least: It's so annoying to wait for your cooldowns when you just wanna go rampage with it :p

If we are talking PvP-arena it's a completely different issue, there you can add all the CD's you like. But in PvM I just wanna crush things.
Danskere: PM mig, hvis I har brug for en guild.
Last edited by ongZ on Jul 19, 2012, 5:07:54 PM
Okay thanks.

That's only part of the point though. I still think adding cooldowns to more powerful skills would still benefit the game as a whole.

I'm not asking for like 20 second cooldowns, I'm asking for like 4-8 second ones. And you don't HAVE to use them.
Last edited by laian on Jul 19, 2012, 5:05:45 PM
PoE does tread the line between ARPG and MMO sometimes, but I'd like to believe in fairly good ways. A cooldown rotation system can be fun with powerful skills, but I am very, VERY fond of how GGG are doing it. You'll see soon. I don't mean this as a tease, but merely to point out that even something as simple as a cooldown on certain skills can be worked into PoE in a surprisingly clever way.

One of my characters simulates cooldown, actually: she casts cold snap at a group of enemies, fires a rain of arrows onto them, and then cold snaps again as the arrows are inbound. This rotation essentially mimics a cooldown because Rain of Arrows has an inherent delay between cast and effect.

I have no qualms with that sort of thing, and thought your potency idea had merit.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
So you're foreshadowing a new feature. That's definitely teasing :(

I guess I'll just ask this: Is it going to be out in 0.9.11?

On a side note: you use cold snap? Why? I seriously think that skill needs a buff.
Last edited by laian on Jul 19, 2012, 5:14:37 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info