Your thoughts on skill spamming.

I don't know, I think I'd have to agree that excessive skill spamming can be a bit... mind numbing. I personally prefer when skills play off each other and reward you for tactical gameplay instead of simply pressing a single button over and over and over. That's just my personal preference though.
I have been discussing with streamers. It could be just a matter of class, build and equipment, but I'm noticing a slight increase in difficulty.

Also, even in Diablo II you had 2-3 skills to spam. I would assume that it's the same in all ARPGs. You have to have the same basic skills for burst damage, AoE damage and a support/defence skill if something goes wrong.

PoE could of course try break the formula by encouraging people to use two different skills for each mentioned basic tasks. Skills of different elements, for example?

EDIT: Oh, and if you really want to break the formula, PoE could introduce somekind of a combo feature, where specific skills activated in a specific order would active a more powerful skill.
Last edited by Bernhardt on Aug 20, 2011, 3:27:05 AM
The only instanced game that I loved the skill system for was guild wars, and it had cool downs.

That said, guild wars wasn't at all a twitchy game, and it's style isn't too suitable to directly port over to a hack-and-slash.

I think having cooldowns, but shortening them, having some with very short cooldowns, and maybe having 2 more skills overall (than just 8) could help.

Another game really like the skill system for, which WAS a hack-and-slash, was [westwood studio's] Nox.
There were no cooldowns for the wizard and conjurer skills (which cost energy), but there was for the warrior because his skills were free (although some skills on an adrenaline system would have been cool)

Aside for them skill system which seemed to work out well, I really liked the movement and targetting system — unique to any game I've played to date.

your cursor would aim like normal, but it makes your character face that direction as well. You would hold down the right mouse button to move forward. There was no sidestepping or back-stepping, just like point-and-clicks, although technically it could be added via keyboard (but keyboard is reserved for using skills and such, which would make it a mess unless skills were cast on the mouse, which generally have limited buttons)
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Aug 20, 2011, 4:44:16 AM
There are pros and cons in regard to D3. But POE should definitely take a look at what D3 has to offer. They know what didn't work in D2 and IMO skill spamming is the biggest downside of ARPG games. I guess everybody wants variety, strategy and careful planning.
Spamming a few skills in better than one!
spamming one skill over and over again when it is unnecessary annoys me in a commentary
"
steedler wrote:
spamming one skill over and over again when it is unnecessary annoys me in a commentary

completely agree
"
Zom wrote:
Spamming a few skills in better than one!
MMO games ------> that way!
"
dopefish wrote:
Skill Spamming is definitely a staple of ARPGs. Hopefully there will be monsters which will force you to take a more varied approach, immune enemies immediately comes to mind.

The player in the video seems to be overleveled for the area he is in, too.

Pew pew. <-- Recap from your stream :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info