Your thoughts on skill spamming.

The skill primarily spammed in this video was overpowered. It has been nerfed in the most recent patch.
Different resistances for different monsters should solve this problem. No need for cooldowns.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Aug 19, 2011, 4:50:27 PM
People seem to be ignoring the fact that I said specifically that I dont want cooldowns but maybe a system that encourages you to use multiple skills and that the devs balance the game around using multiple skills being by far the most effective way to kill.

I am fully aware of the state of the game and read the beta manifesto and was just trying to encourage a certain aspect that most arpgs are missing in my opinion.

that is all.

side note: people saying skill spamming is a staple of rpgs is not a valid point - lots of things are staples but that dosent make them good skill trees were a staple of arpgs but the devs had away with that.. ( a good choice) sometimes people need to dare to step forward and redefine the genre.

Last edited by davegri on Aug 19, 2011, 4:53:01 PM
"
davegri wrote:
People seem to be ignoring the fact that I said specifically that I dont want cooldowns but maybe a system that encourages you to use multiple skills and that the devs balance the game around using multiple skills being by far the most effective way to kill.

I am fully aware of the state of the game and read the beta manifesto and was just trying to encourage a certain aspect that most arpgs are missing in my opinion.

that is all.

side note: people saying skill spamming is a staple of rpgs is not a valid point - lots of things are staples but that dosent make them good skill trees were a staple of arpgs but the devs had away with that.. ( a good choice) sometimes people need to dare to step forward and redefine the genre.

I'm sure down the road they will institute monsters that are resistant to certain things. That's almost always a common place feature down the road. I however, hope they do NOT implement outright immunities.

As far as people asking for a cooldown system, so as to be able have to cycle through more abilities, there are a few inherent problems with it. First, it weakens support gems immensely, since they are linked to your skills. Likewise, it would favor melee style attackers since they can just auto melee, where ranged and casters are designed moreso on range and casting, not melee.

Obviously this is closed beta, in the early phase. Stuff isn't exactly fine tuned atm, and that skill specifically was toned down.

Skill spamming is fun in some regards and boring in others. There is no perfect system. But taking the entire design of the game in mind as it is now, their system supports spam casting, especially so with support gems playing a role on buffing and modifying abilities.
I personally think its a pretty cool feature. I don't like the idea of cooldowns as usually during a boss fight it may make or break the fight.
Combo Synergy is the way to go, for sure... this will balance out allowing players to use multiple skills without having to stack massive amounts of supports on them making them super mana prohibitive... instead you'd get 1 skill and give it X and 1 skill and give it Y and then use X->Y=combo
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
Combo Synergy is the way to go, for sure... this will balance out allowing players to use multiple skills without having to stack massive amounts of supports on them making them super mana prohibitive... instead you'd get 1 skill and give it X and 1 skill and give it Y and then use X->Y=combo

Yep thats exactly what I meant. would like to hear a devs opinion on using a combo system.
While having a damage dealing spell that can be spammed is a good idea; a large portion of the game, From what I have seen, is crowd control and AoE. So as long AoE and Slow/debuff abilities are separated then players should be forced into the use of multiple abilities.
"
Wrath707 wrote:
While having a damage dealing spell that can be spammed is a good idea; a large portion of the game, From what I have seen, is crowd control and AoE. So as long AoE and Slow/debuff abilities are separated then players should be forced into the use of multiple abilities.

I agree it comes realy down to this !

Skill spamming is what makes a game like this what it is but skill spamming has nothing to do with just spamming one skill.
It was a problem in Diablo 2 because of a classical skill tree and a major design flaw. In a skill tree you want the skills to become better if you go through the game, but without a cooldown system it just means that your early skills will become subpar as you progress. Blizzard promoted early skills later by adding a passive bonus, but it of course had no effect on the actual skill you use lategame.

PoE is in a much better position because the skills are all equal. This means as long as they all have obvious downsides it can work. The only concern i have is that the actual amount of skills is not sufficient. Iam not in the beta so i can only assume this but by looking at the existing skills i miss what you would call utility.

Support gems cant replace raw utility skills because you would still stick with the one skill you spamm all the time. Utility spells on the other hand can easy work in combination with raw damage main spells.

At the moment there is not much more then your standard slow and stun we have in every game in the last decade. But even if you only look at the 3 big titles in the new "moba" genere you can see that there is much more possible.
Last edited by Droggeltasse on Aug 19, 2011, 6:16:56 PM
Isn't there a few skill that need channeling?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info