Your thoughts on skill spamming.

I just watched this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LtxfFV36dk

as this beta user demonstrated you can just blast through the monsters spamming one skill effectively making the combat shallow. I don't want to make baseless assumptions because obviously I'm not a beta member (damn) but this just seems to be the case to me. Being able to spam one skill was one of diablo 2's critical flaws, I would like to see Poe developers encouraging and rewarding players for using multiple skills. I would think the combat should be much more tactical to make sure the game can retain its flavor without getting bored.

I wouldn't like the game to be a click-spam fest without any coherent thought processes regarding combat decisions.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
(no trolling please)
Last edited by davegri on Aug 19, 2011, 3:48:09 PM
I'm personally okay with skill spamming I would like it if combining skills was the most effective way but adding cool downs to skills to force people not to spam should not be an option (and aside from that I can't think of away to stop spamming)

so in short skill spam is okay cool downs are not
This is an action rpg, thats how they work. The only ways I can think of to get around it is to give spells cool downs, or make every monster immune and/or highly resistant to certain spells-both of these I feel slow down gameplay and can lead to some very annoying situations where you just cant defeat the monsters, at least early on in the game (which is where this beta takes place).
When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
"
BurnThrew wrote:
I'm personally okay with skill spamming I would like it if combining skills was the most effective way but adding cool downs to skills to force people not to spam should not be an option (and aside from that I can't think of away to stop spamming)

So maybe instead of punishing players by using cooldowns the game should be balanced around the idea that using one skill is simply not effective. maybe they should make crowd control a must-have for casters, or implement a system that increases your dmg output if you use several skills like a combo system. Basically any system that really encourages and rewards players for using varied skills.
In the Beta videos ive seen its in the beginning of the game (which is supposed to be easy) and on default softcore league while the player only has 1-3 skills.

Its also beta, so I can assure once u have a skill for all of q w e r t and the 3 mouse clicks they're will be less skill spamming
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens.
- Jimi Hendrix
For me, spammeble skills is what makes a hack 'n slash game a hack 'n slash game. Putting long cooldowns on skills would just kill the fast paced action that make these games so fun to play (for me at least).

Ive always hated the fact that most RPG's nowadays make combat so tedious, sometimes it takes like 10 sec to kill 1 mob cuz of cooldowns.

Take a look at Mythos for example, they totally missed the whole point of a hack 'n slash with their skill system, killing the feel of the game.

so yea keep the skills spammeble :D
"
davegri wrote:
"
BurnThrew wrote:

So maybe instead of punishing players by using cooldowns the game should be balanced around the idea that using one skill is simply not effective. maybe they should make crowd control a must-have for casters, or implement a system that increases your dmg output if you use several skills like a combo system. Basically any system that really encourages and rewards players for using varied skills.

I was thinking of something like that after I posted but that seems like more trouble then its worth
"
davegri wrote:

Being able to spam one skill was one of diablo 2's critical flaws...

Why does everyone think this?
You've been listening to Blizzard devs a bit much.

BTW, you will be able to spam MANY skills.

Also, do a bit of reading, this game is in EARLY CLOSED BETA. Enemies will be more varied and more difficult.

Check out the Beta Manifesto.
Lotsa good info.
IGN: Cadmus / Valgar
Last edited by Kaylos on Aug 19, 2011, 4:06:04 PM
All of what you say is true, but the gameplay video is of a level 49 witch primarily spamming a single spell and basically facerolling through. That being said, balance issues may simply be resolved through tweaking, and situations will require different spells.

I'm in two minds about this: one is that if spamming is the optimum way to kill things, gameplay will suffer quite a bit. However, PoE is also quite overt about wanting their game to be about having a gamer choose their experiences. So forcing players into rotations or cooldowns would not really work toward that objective.

That being said, players do tend to gravitate toward path of least resistance; in this case, spamming a single spell.
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow,
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.
None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master:
His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.
Skill Spamming is definitely a staple of ARPGs. Hopefully there will be monsters which will force you to take a more varied approach, immune enemies immediately comes to mind.

The player in the video seems to be overleveled for the area he is in, too.
Joined Closed Beta 20th August 2011

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info