Path of Exile Android / Tablet capabilities?

For a laugh it'd be great seeing someone port the granddaddy of ARPGs like Brogue to Andriod but remodeled on Wraeclast.

Bring on the glorious Rouge season race events.
IGN: deefa • Guild: <ACE> Alpha Crucis Exiles - poeurl.com/wpA • Discord: deefa#3298
NO

why?

You'll probably blow a fuse when you play a toon of high IIQ
And the usually "hold down" on a tablet to simulate the "right click" on a mouse will probably blow a few more fuses.

Or course you can say you can attach a mouse or keyboard to the tablet. But then, why not go back to your PC..
Im currently playing poe on my tablet and it works absolutely fine, its sooo fun i can make my own buttons and situate them wherever i want, most are on the screen edge but some are around my character. im streaming the game from my pc so it does all the video rendering.
I have a friend that plays on a Surface Pro 3. Not exactly the same, but it is doable in terms of configuration.

Exile

"Bullshit, you get the game for free."
-Qarl
It breaks down to two main issues:

1: Interface. It's both the input (screentaps and gestures cannot replace the precision and wide array of control needed from a mouse+keyboard setup) but ALSO output: that screen is TINY. And it'd make precision even harder.

2. Power. Even though part of it *IS* that PoE is bloated... People GROSSLY overestimate the power of a tablet. In comparative terms, it usually equates to a low-end PC that was released 8-10 YEARS before the tablet. So yes, while the power of a tablet grows... So does that of a desktop PC. For those wanting something a bit more technical:

• Sure, the RAM quantity SORTA comes close... But there's more overhead, AND it's slower: closer to 8.5 GB/sec vs. 25.6-76.8 GB/sec for desktops.
  • As previously mentioned, mobile/tablet GPUs simply can't even remotely compare to desktop ones: Apple (and other makers) are VERY careful to always compare to prior generations' performance. As impressive as some of the terms sound... Even the iPad Air 2's PowerVR is running 128 SIMD units @500 MHz or so... 128 GigaFLOP/s sounds impressive until you realize that even cheap desktop GPUs are in the TeraFLOP/s range, AND are designed to much better reach their theoretical numbers.
  • Lastly... The CPU. It's an ARM, which is, by design, vastly less powerful than an x86 used in a desktop or laptop. The actual clock speed isn't quite as meaningful on its own: a modern Intel Core i3/i5/i7 can produce vastly higher output per clock cycle on a per-core basis.

All of the above is by design: tablets are weaker by intention, because they're not trying to maximize the performance-in-one-device, they're trying to get good performance and the best battery life: the 10-30 watt-hours a phone to tablet battery can hold is miniscule; an American household circuit can transfer a watt-hour in about two seconds: the combined power consumption of a typical desktop PC (1/6th of the capacity of said household circuit, or 300w) would eat through an iPad Air 2's battery in under a minute and a half or so.

Lastly, the difference in architecture between x86 and ARM is vast... To say nothing of having to contend with effectively three different operating systems.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Jul 19, 2015, 6:31:16 PM
I may not know much about these things but here is a clever idea. Do like so many other games do and use to finger taps for movement. Then use just a quick tap 4 your standard attacks and a quick half seconds hold that pops up a radio spell menu which you then just swipe your finger to the spell you which to deploy. As for the graphics I did not realize they were actually that's intensive I am even more impressed now. Well considering the screens you would be playing the game on would be smaller it wouldn't make sense for the graphics to still be that huge anyway so they could definitely scale that back for a tablet phone version. The big problem as I see it would be multiplayer, I'm pretty sure they would need to create a special league just for tablet and phone devices. This we would reduce the number of people your device was having to manage simultaneous contact with why also utilizing some new ideas for streamlining and simplifying the player trade activities. What I would like to see is A chest with tabs separated by category to which items are dropped and players then make beds on those items by dragging what they're willing to trade it for on to it. They would then get their items back if the trade is rejected or have the trade accepted when the seller picks up the items being offered in trade. And because this would be happening in town you could simply have items get automatically shifted around from one chest to another as necessary. This would allow players to spend more of their time playing the game and less time having to futz around waiting in town trying to find someone to make a good trade with.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
It breaks down to two main issues:

1: Interface. It's both the input (screentaps and gestures cannot replace the precision and wide array of control needed from a mouse+keyboard setup) but ALSO output: that screen is TINY. And it'd make precision even harder.

2. Power. Even though part of it *IS* that PoE is bloated... People GROSSLY overestimate the power of a tablet. In comparative terms, it usually equates to a low-end PC that was released 8-10 YEARS before the tablet. So yes, while the power of a tablet grows... So does that of a desktop PC. For those wanting something a bit more technical:

• Sure, the RAM quantity SORTA comes close... But there's more overhead, AND it's slower: closer to 8.5 GB/sec vs. 25.6-76.8 GB/sec for desktops.
  • As previously mentioned, mobile/tablet GPUs simply can't even remotely compare to desktop ones: Apple (and other makers) are VERY careful to always compare to prior generations' performance. As impressive as some of the terms sound... Even the iPad Air 2's PowerVR is running 128 SIMD units @500 MHz or so... 128 GigaFLOP/s sounds impressive until you realize that even cheap desktop GPUs are in the TeraFLOP/s range, AND are designed to much better reach their theoretical numbers.
  • Lastly... The CPU. It's an ARM, which is, by design, vastly less powerful than an x86 used in a desktop or laptop. The actual clock speed isn't quite as meaningful on its own: a modern Intel Core i3/i5/i7 can produce vastly higher output per clock cycle on a per-core basis.

All of the above is by design: tablets are weaker by intention, because they're not trying to maximize the performance-in-one-device, they're trying to get good performance and the best battery life: the 10-30 watt-hours a phone to tablet battery can hold is miniscule; an American household circuit can transfer a watt-hour in about two seconds: the combined power consumption of a typical desktop PC (1/6th of the capacity of said household circuit, or 300w) would eat through an iPad Air 2's battery in under a minute and a half or so.

Lastly, the difference in architecture between x86 and ARM is vast... To say nothing of having to contend with effectively three different operating systems.

none of the tablet's specs matter. the rendering is done on a pc that is connected to your network. it doesnt even have to be local if using a remote desktop server, but u wont download the pc stream very well if it isnt local. the only spec that matters is your download speed.

edit: welcome to cloud gaming
Last edited by Float on Nov 26, 2015, 8:44:51 AM
"
silent0kill wrote:
Is this possible? considering onscreen mouse clicks and buttons pressed where mouse cursor is placed Im not much of a programmer anymore, but it doesnt seem like it would be very difficult to do. Please dont hate on me ;)

LOL!!!!! Thanks for the laugh. Since PoE 2 years ago would crash and burn on XP at max ram of 3 GB because of low memory only 64-bit OSes with 8 GB will play PoE respectively well, there is less than zero chance of PoE ever running on a tablet. Couple that with a custom graphics engine that has many frame rate heart attacks (flatlines to 0 fps for a moment) when a strongbox is opened that releases a huge tri-pack of mobs and a tablet port is impossible. We can't ever get a native Linux or Mac (BSD) port so maybe a parallel universe earth might have a different GGG. I always cringe at the parallel universe theory. If in an alternate universe earth GGG could code a better performing PoE if that could ever happen then the butterfly effect would have caused the world be be completely different than our own reality from the get go and thus wouldn't be a parallel to our present day earth at all. In other words, NO, NO, and triple NO. If can't be done.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
deefa wrote:
For a laugh it'd be great seeing someone port the granddaddy of ARPGs like Brogue to Andriod but remodeled on Wraeclast.

Bring on the glorious Rouge season race events.

Yep. There's plenty of great 1980-90 games out there that would run fine on a tablet. Crystal Quest would be awesome.
How is it that the only things people are worried about is interface design and system requirements?

PoE is designed for windows, It likely has a great deal of windows specific code, porting that to another two platforms would be a massive undertaking. It would make no sense from a business perspective, especially now that all the hype around tablets has died down significantly.

What they do to the interface would be the least of their problems.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info