whats the importance of graphic updates to developers?

hi, as many of you i ve been looking for ages for a game i can play through consistantly..

i ve played d1, d2 and ofc d3, which btw was as many of you already had experienced sadly a dissapointment

bla bla bla tl dr i dont wanna tell you long stories so just in short

are developers anyhow focusing on improving the graphics? i ve not played the game yet, but from the vids on youtube i ve seen so far, i sadly ve to admit, that its the ONLY bad thing i see about this game right now..

since i ve not played it yet, i cant really get the feel of the atmosphere and the graphics and i do understand that as an indie developer you guys may not have enough ressources to focus on those things..

still, are there any plans on at least giving the character modells some more love? to me they look like stick figures with boring or slow animations

when i see a char hitting with his weapon it kinda looks like if some old 99 years old dude is doing some tired attempt to swing that weapon

i know that may sound bit too offensive but hey i really love the concept of gameplay, at least from all that i ve read about, of this game and i d love to play it..
as someone who actually care about this game i d also like it to improve, since its still in developement..

so just wanted to point that out, because right now, for alot of people.. the graphic is the big contra point that keeps them away from this game
The graphics are gorgeous in the game, the art style is very unique and atmospheric. As far as the battle animations are concerned, most of the time you're so engaged in trying to survive and kill off mobs tactically that the last thing on your mind would be how it's not up to par.

You might have your standards high, but even if that's case I can only recommend playing the game and feeling it for yourself, its EXTREMELY immersive. I can bet you will at least like it, but most of us just LOVE IT!
SwiftScylla :: Ranger
OldBullLee :: Templar
Castelmore :: Duelist
Vronsky :: Marauder
alright then i m looking forward to it

as said before cant really tell how the graphics will appeal to me since all i ve got were from videos right now

The characters in PoE look like real people for the most part. I don't get the stick-figure thing. I guess compared to the bloated, disproportionate characters that are common in most modern games, they would look odd, but they don't look unrealistic.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:
The characters in PoE look like real people for the most part. I don't get the stick-figure thing. I guess compared to the bloated, disproportionate characters that are common in most modern games, they would look odd, but they don't look unrealistic.

No idea what you mean by any of that.
Have you even played the Witcher 2? Skyrim?
The graphics in PoE get the job done, but two things I hope gets changed is ( what I hope is )the place holder white sheet on way points and instance entrances, and the map/mini map looks 10+ years old.
I like the graphics. They are crisp and have a dark gothic style.

The effects still need some work, but rest assured that Russell (the effects guy) will make everything super awesome once he has the tech to do so.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
Some of the art in the game is amazing.

Then you have things like the awful mini-map previously mentioned.
I guess its the animations that bugged you. They do bother some people. But with time you stop to notice them.

I'd guess they will polish a bit and make a graphic update in some 1-3 years if game is doing well.

All that purely my speculation.

Anyway, graphics are nice though, just the animations are a tad "uncanny valley", but hey, its a free game :) And it does have great gameplay. Still remember the days of yore when we had drawn sprite animations?

Here it is just so - you know there is something off but cannot exactly point it out. At least to me. And to reiterate, this is what I noticed the first few hours. After that... you keep planning your builds and your brain is occupied.
A lot of the things mentioned here have been points brought up and we have been told they will be improved. Animations, the map, and even the visual effect for waypoints is on ( but low ) on the list of things to improve. When maxed out the game looks pretty damned good to me. It holds up real well when zoomed in. You can see the attention to detail. When you scale down things don't look so rosy, but then if you are playing on a lower end machine...what do you expect?
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
"
whiteBoy88 wrote:

No idea what you mean by any of that.
Have you even played the Witcher 2? Skyrim?
I'm talking about games similar in genre and form to PoE. D3, Torchlight, just about any MMO.

Yes, I know there are games with realistic character models. Shame on me for not explicitly stating that I'm not a moron.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 10, 2012, 1:10:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info