Critique please: Infernal + Splash + Multistrike build

Really interested in making a 1H+Shield HC Marauder, and I think I am going to head in the route of Infernal blow with buffed fire damage through the passive tree, along with the best shield nodes and life.

Here is the build:

Here is the ExilePro summary:

This incarnation is probably a little lite on life, and I may have to cut some fire damage nodes or repath to save some points. I am open to repathing suggestions...I can see dropping the added fire from the Templar tree as it seems like I am travelling to much to get it since I can get +60% ish just from Lava lash and the fire nodes near it.

Some of my specific questions I would love a mechanics and/or Infernal Blow pro to answer for me:

1) Does the damage from an exploding enemy reflect (when applicable) or just the damage I deal to the mob with the standard attack?
2) Will an enemy killed from splash damage (via melee splash gem) from Infernal blow explode, or just the enemy I am actually attacking?
3) Does an enemy killed by an explosion also explode itself, effectively making chained explosions possible?
4) Lava Lash and Catalyze will buff the fire portion of Infernal b/c it is a weapon based attack, correct?
5) Will any melee node ("increased melee physical" OR "increased physical damage with 1H melee") ultimately end up buffing the fire damage, since the physical damage would be buffed first, and then converted after?
6) Would it be worth taking Elemental Equilibrium and shooting mobs with frost pulse first in order to get the -50% fire resist debuff on mobs?

Any input appreciated! Currently running a lvl 60 2H LS Marauder in softcore. He is fun, but not very tanky and I wouldn't build him in HC. I like the idea of melee splash and the chains of explosions if my reasoning is correct...adding multistrike into the mix just seems like it would be silly powerful, not to mention Added Fire damage as well...

Cheers!
1. All the damage gets reflected afaik.
2. The splash damage from melee splash also causes other monsters to explode on death.
3. Because you're attacking so fast, and infernal blow's tooltip says they explode when killed by the hit or shortly after, monsters killed by explosions will explode themselves.
4. Weapon elemental damage will boost the damage of infernal blow's hit, but not the explosion afaik. Which means non weapon elemental and fire damage gets you more bang for the buck.
5. Yes, you do get more infernal blow damage with physical nodes assuming that you're using a high physical weapon and not elemental.
6. I would not recommend elemental equilibrium because the hit from infernal blow will cause monsters to have higher fire resist for the explosion part, effectively lowering your dps.

I highly recommend the Amplify and increased area of effect nodes in the Templar tree since they will affect your melee splashed infernal blow and the explosion. I don't think it's worth getting the shield nodes to be honest. The resists look really nice on paper, but an angelic/archon kite shield with extra resists along with some on your other gear should be enough. Getting just a few additional points in block doesn't seem too effective in my experience. You'll be better off with more armor/health. You should get the Body and Soul node in the Templar tree since you're only 3/4 points away. Not getting Elemental Adaptation is a waste since you're right there. Going from 75% to 80% resists is a 20% damage reduction.
"
Crap_tastic wrote:
1. All the damage gets reflected afaik.
2. The splash damage from melee splash also causes other monsters to explode on death.
3. Because you're attacking so fast, and infernal blow's tooltip says they explode when killed by the hit or shortly after, monsters killed by explosions will explode themselves.
4. Weapon elemental damage will boost the damage of infernal blow's hit, but not the explosion afaik. Which means non weapon elemental and fire damage gets you more bang for the buck.
5. Yes, you do get more infernal blow damage with physical nodes assuming that you're using a high physical weapon and not elemental.
6. I would not recommend elemental equilibrium because the hit from infernal blow will cause monsters to have higher fire resist for the explosion part, effectively lowering your dps.

I highly recommend the Amplify and increased area of effect nodes in the Templar tree since they will affect your melee splashed infernal blow and the explosion. I don't think it's worth getting the shield nodes to be honest. The resists look really nice on paper, but an angelic/archon kite shield with extra resists along with some on your other gear should be enough. Getting just a few additional points in block doesn't seem too effective in my experience. You'll be better off with more armor/health. You should get the Body and Soul node in the Templar tree since you're only 3/4 points away. Not getting Elemental Adaptation is a waste since you're right there. Going from 75% to 80% resists is a 20% damage reduction.

Cool, thanks for the input!

Re: Elem Equilibrium: Thanks for that tip...I wasn't sure how the mechanic worked, like if you got 5 seconds of resistance changes from the first attack before it would switch to another one, or if it switches as soon as another element procs.

I always forget to click on Elem Adapt for some reason but I will definitely be taking the node for 1 pt hahaha.

Even if I don't take the shield block nodes, would a shield build still be best for HC? I assume it would be...I (based on math alone) have a hard time believing that picking up another 10-15% chance to block isn't a good idea though. I see your point re: the shield resist nodes though. I can drop those in late Cruel/Merc though. I may just target the best +block chance nodes.

I had seen the area of effect nodes and thought they could be useful once I add in melee splash but now that you mention affecting the explosion I may take them earlier! Thanks.

Any more feedback welcome and appreciated!
I'm not saying that the block nodes are bad, just that they're inferior to more health/armor. Block is inferior to more armor when taking a lot of medium to small hits. And when trying to tank big hits, I'd rather have more life than an extra 10% chance to block. For an Infernal Blow build, you'll be in the middle of mobs taking a lot of hits so you want more armor and health. I feel as though block nodes are a waste when you can get armor and health nodes instead. The block with shield defense nodes are worth it if your shield has high armor though. Otherwise, get armor and health.
Hey man!

I'm doing an Infernal Blow build my self, currently level 64.

Here is my current passive tree:

To answer your questions as best I can:

1.) NO! The damage from the explotions does NOT reflect back at you :) Only the damage you deal with the direct hit. I spent many hours being deadly afraid fo Reflect Elemental Damage mobs, but I eventually learned that it's not so dangerous. The reason I guess is that the damage from the exploding mobs does not originate FROM you. This means neither Reflect Physical or Reflect Elemental mobs are much of a danger.

2.) Yes, as far as I understand it Melee Splash will put the Infernal Blow "debuff" on all mobs it hits. If they die before the debuff has expired, they explode.

3.) Yes.

4.) Yes.

5.) Yes, but remember the Infernal Blow explotion does not benefit from these passives.

6.) I don't know, I considered it but it felt like too much work, which ultimately just slows you down anyway.

Here is my gear by the way, nothing great, I'm poor as I've only played just over a week.

Spoiler
"
AveiMil wrote:

Here is my gear by the way, nothing great, I'm poor as I've only played just over a week.

Spoiler

Thanks for the specific insight since you play the build. Are you in the hardcore league with him?
Yes
Well.... not anymore. RiP to Vaal Slam.
Damn! Sorry to hear it dude. The slam is brutal.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info